Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 May 2013
Lyrical, sensuous and philosophical meditations that leave you thinking long after you have read the poems. I had read some of Jorie Graham's poems in journals and decided to buy this collection because I felt,immediately, that these poems spoke to me. I was certainly not disappointed and I have found myself pondering many of the issues she raises. The collection ends with the lines; 'there are sounds the planet will make, even/if there is no one to hear them.' I will not trivialise this by glossing the lines but just say that the idea of the world without us, with its own music is both serenely beautiful, whilst at the same time deeply disquieting.
These are difficult poems that reach deep into our psyche, as all great poems do and, perhaps, capture the murmurings of the earth in the same way that Wordsworth does in the 'spots of time' of 'The Prelude'; I am sure Jorie Graham will take her place in the canon of great American poets.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse