on 5 September 2011
I first heard Sophie Hannah read some of these poems a few years ago at the Aye Write book festival in Glasgow (I particularly remember "Rubbish at Adultery") but took a while to follow it up by reading any of her work.
Many of the poems are funny and light-weight, but her writing is lucid and direct, and a reminder that poetry is also about song and play, and our reaction to everyday, mundane things is also what helps define us.
I derived pleasure and enjoyment from reading these poems - and who can complain about that? I particularly enjoyed "Round Robin", "Astronomical", "Something and Nothing" and "Don't Say I Said".
The collection contains 40 poems and was a "Poetry Book Society Choice".
on 21 November 2010
I loved this book, massive fan of Sophie Hannah's fictional writing and this book shows a different side to her completely. I particularly like the poems Don't Say I Said and How I Feel Now, very moving.
on 22 June 2011
Like all of Sophie Hannah's books I find myself staying up all night to finish them. This collection was no different
on 25 February 2014
There wasn't enough of it. I was hoping to read lots more considering what I paid for this Kindle treat, but there was a lot of wasted space at the end about her new novel.

Also, the formatting of the Kindle edition was most disappointing: the last line of several poems carried over onto the next page. Not what you'd expect from a mid-priced Kindle read.

Wish I'd got the paperback.
on 25 June 2013
Good read, gave it to my brother in law for his birthday, he loved it and passed it round the family
VINE VOICEon 22 March 2014
I hadn't read Sophie Hannah's poetry before, but heard her talking on the radio and thought I'd give her a go. I absolutely loved this compilation. Witty, modern and laugh out loud funny. Shocking in places. Brilliant.
on 3 March 2009
I enjoyed this book - there are some little gems in here and always something to brighten your day when you're feeling really cynical
on 21 October 2012
A darker Wendy Cope (and as proficient) one misses her wry, abrasive tone on the radio. I'm glad she's carved out a prose career for herself, but what's she (and Carcanet) doing plugging her second 'psychological thriller' in the back? Never mind - just so long as they subsidise the poetry, which is both thrilling and chilling - read Anyone Can Draw a Line

The five stars apply to *all* five of her poetry books, by the way, which dazzle equally - well, I haven't read Leaving, but there's a bunch in the Selected. I'm surprised not to see more reviews; her consistency is enviable
on 27 February 2013
Decided it was not for me as I prefer narrative to poetry but I am sure poetry readers would enjoy it as there were many humorous and interesting pieces throughout.