4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for kids, 23 Jun 2006
This review is from: Checkmate!: My First Chess Book (Everyman Chess) (Hardcover)
This is great introduction to chess. It's beautifully produced, and takes you steadily through the basics: piece moves, tactics, openings and endgames; the puzzles are challenging, and the tone unpatronising. After finishing it you feel ready for you first game. It doesn't make Chess out to be darkly complex, played just by awkward men, but keeps the emphasis on the fact that it's a profoundly beautiful, fun game that will grow as you do. I dislike the fact that it's marketed for kids - that'll put adults off buying it, or make them feel stupid if they find this 'kid's' book challenging. It has been a great start for me, and a reminder that even the greatest player in the world had to be a beginner once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent clear and concise, 3 Feb 2011
G. J. Ridgett - See all my reviews
Excellent, jargon free well paced beginners guide. I'm using it to teach my 6 year old the basics (and learning enough to keep ahead of him).

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 22 July 2012
We bought this book for our daughter, who was just beginning to learn chess. We learnt loads of things from it ourselves, and our game has improved immensely! Our daughter beats us both regularly, after only six weeks! She is eight!

5.0 out of 5 stars Checkmate My First Chess Book Everyman Chess, 20 Sep 2012
Fascinating for both adults and children. Fun and easy to learn with pictures, highly recommend for beginners and those like me who get confused about the rules!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, 30 Mar 2014
A really useful book for complete novices and those looking to improve their game. I have young children learning from ages 6 - 10 we all agree that its a great guide and reference. The illustrations are also very useful for the younger readers. Easily understood and by no means just a childrens book. I would recommend to anyone young or old. Plan to give as gift to 8yr old nephew with chess set as gift. But know his dad will get just as much benefit as the nephew!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chess revision, 25 Jun 2013
Ideal for me to brush up on my chess skills - if I ever had any. Clear illustrations easy to follow

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for any beginner, 5 Jun 2013
I bought this for my dad, he literally had no idea how to play so this book was a great help.
I would advise anyone wanting to learn that this book is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars chess, 10 April 2013
Russell Pond - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my 8 year old grandson who is just discovering the joys of the game.He is delighted with easy way in which it teaches the elements of the game yet not in any patronising way. As a poor player over 60 years I had a look at it first and was impressed as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Jan 2013
K. Walshe "Southampton Saint" (Southampton UK) - See all my reviews
So clear reminded me and introduced a beginner to the beautiful game of chess, clear simple and easily read. Aimed at children but good for adults too.

Checkmate!: My First Chess Book (Everyman Chess)
Checkmate!: My First Chess Book (Everyman Chess) by Garry Kasparov (Hardcover - 23 April 2004)
7.78