Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 September 2012
...buy this book.

Ok... play some games first and after you realise you love the game and want to learn more about how to play better chess then buy this book.

It focuses on the 4 key principles of chess. Force, Space, Time and Pawn structure. You will take a huge leap forward if you study these ideas presented in this book.

It's well written and easy to follow, but not patronising. This book challenges you to reach the next level and you may have to spend time going over what is being taught.

Excellent Chess book for the beginner with aspirations of moving forward with chess.
on 11 July 2014
Fantastic book for a beginner which gives the reader the basic yet essential tools in terms of strategy and plenty more to think about.

It's easy to read and the reader never gets bogged down in terminology or over-complicated issues.

In every game of chess I play now I utilise the 4 major concepts described in the book and I feel like I'm starting to have a solid understanding of the game.

I would recommend for all people starting their journey in the chess board.
on 19 July 2013
This is the first book of a superb series on how to play chess and improve your game. Lively, clear explanations, interesting and helpful. Encouraging for the beginner who wants to improve their game. Highly recommended, even players at a Superior level of achievement will find (be reminded of) useful hints and tips..
on 13 March 2012
This is easily the best book I have read for the budding chess player. It is easy to follow with several diagrams which are very helpful.It goes from the basic moves to pins, forks and skewers. It also has an interesting history of the game. I highly recommend this book for any one starting out playing chess.
on 13 March 2013
Good on the strategy despite the less than excellent lay out of illustrations; page turning can be irritating if you don;t want to set the board up and work it out ion real time.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2011
I found this book being very informative and easy to read, just make sure you have a chess set on hand when reading it.
on 14 December 2011
When someone asks me if I play chess I usually say that I know how pieces move - that is to say, I do play occasionally, but without much more thought than one would put into playing Solitaire during a lunch break. I know the rules and have some very basic appreciation of tactics and strategy, but that's pretty much it - I'm rated at 1300 points on IFCS.
I was looking for a book to help me get into it more and probably to serve as a starting point for studying the game in much more detail, so something with more focus on strategy and perhaps the well-known combinations explained. Despite being quite popular - at least most of my club-level chess chums are familiar with it - this book is as basic as it gets, probably even below the "for dummies" level. The first half of it is spent on a discussion of how many ranks and files there are, how pieces move and what they're called. The rest is one step more advanced and covers some fundamental principles, but all could be summarized on the back of a cigarette packet: force is important, so are space and time, and then there are pawn structures. That's basically it, I've saved you the asking price. You're welcome :)
So it's pretty much a complete beginner's book. Expecting that it'll teach you to play "winning" chess would be a bit of an ask; you'll probably learn hot to play in general, but hardly more.
Furthermore, even taken for a newbie's text, it's not exceptional in any way. It's OK, as in "another introduction to chess", but there's nothing to make it stand out.
on 30 March 2015
A very useful armoury to improve your game
on 30 June 2015
excellent product and speedy delivery