5.0 out of 5 stars A great book pleasantly presented, 5 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The New Spain: A complete guide to contemporary Spanish wine (Hardcover)
This book does a lot towards reinventing Spanish wine for those who regard it as cheap plonk. Whilst covering the subject clear maps and reviews of bodegas (or wine cellars) are used to good account. This book describes in detail why Spanish wines are getting better and allows the reader to see for themselves with the recommended choices of the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book with stunning photography, 19 Aug 2010
Having lived in Spain for six months I developed a real passion for the country and her food and wine. As a wine merchant I already knew a fair amount about the diversity of Spanish wines, but was keen to further my knowledge and appreciation. I have found this book an absolute delight to read and to use as a reference book whenever the need arises. It is written in an informative, friendly and entirely un-stuffy way! The clarity of the maps is excellent and it is very helpful to have the websites of the Notable Bodegas shown. The photography is not only stunning when it is rural scenes or local architecture, but is also informative when showing grape varieties, soils and vinification equipment. In my role as buyer for Wine Poole I see the workings of many wineries and this book brings alive all those aspects of the industry. As one of the fastest evolving wine industries it is good that this book shows a very modern and up to date version of the Spanish wine trade. Many of the wines are available from specialist wine merchants in the UK, such as ourselves. I would highly recommend this book to both the casual wine drinker who wishes to increase his or her knowledge of Spanish wines as well as to the professional wine taster.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, comprehensive, a bit inaccessible for the casual drinker, 12 Jan 2010
I love Spanish food and wine, have spent about 18 months living and working in Spain in the last decade, and Spanish wine is about 50% of what I buy and drink. Back in the UK, I love cooking Spanish food, have a few Spanish cookbooks, and am lucky to have a great deli locally where I can buy what I thought was a reasonable range of Spanish food and wine. So I was interested to learn a bit more about Spanish wine so I could better choose, and go beyond my usual approach of sticking to Rioja and buying either labels I know, or buying on price.

This book is nicely written, is well laid out, and has great illustrations, etc. It seems really comprehensive and the author comes across as highly credible. There's quite a bit of 'storyline' in the book - starting right from the foreword by a Don of Spanish winemaking - that takes the reader through what's happening in the Spanish wine industry.

But - honestly - it hasn't really been much practical use to me. When I first read it, I tried to get hold of some of the wines it mentioned, but ended up giving up as I couldn't find them. So although it looks like a great guide to the subject, as a manual for enjoyable drinking by enthusiastic amateurs, maybe it's not so well suited.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good summary of the Spanish wine 'industry' today, 31 Dec 2001
By A Customer
The book is well-written and contains enough information and facts for anyone not familiar with the subject to acquire a good knowledge. As a general over-view it is very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb fully comprehensive guide, 12 May 2014
It is a full, detailed presentation of the Spanish wine regions and a tremendous help to choosing the right style and body of wine to meet your tastes!
I recommend it to everyone who shows an interest in Spanish wines and varietals and feels overwhelmed by the mass of information on offer. It makes for excellent reading about Spain in general, whether or not you are a wine enthusuast!

The New Spain: A complete guide to contemporary Spanish wine