5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting end to a gripping series
Published on 23 April 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, but bloated, epic
If you've made it this far, you know what's going on (and if you don't, there are pages and pages of story-so-far synopsis to fill you in). The real question is, does it work? More to the point, does it truly require over 1200 pages to wrap up a tale that's already three volumes old?
The answers are interlinked: it works, mostly, but it wavers severely, and mainly...
Published on 22 Aug 2003 by N. Clarke

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting end to a gripping series, 23 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Otherland 4: Sea Of Silver Light: Sea of Silver Light Bk. 4 (Hardcover)
This is the final volume in a four-book series. I've been waiting eagerly for this to publish - and had the book pre-ordered so it would arrive as soon as humanly possible. The whole series has had me absolutely gripped from the start, and this final volume is no exception. The story picks up where the last volume (Mountain of Black Glass) left off, and all the favourite characters are there. The plot twists and turns through some touching and terrifying scenes. There are some very clever and unexpected connections and links - and the result is compulsive reading. It had me torn in two directions - I wanted to read the book as quickly as possible, as the characters and structure are so compelling. On the other hand, I was enjoying the book so much I wanted to savour every word, so I kept trying to slow down by rationing myself to 50pp a day. I failed miserably and read the final 450pp yesterday. Wondeful stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars wowwwww!!!!!, 28 April 2001
By A Customer
One of the few authors I buy in hardback (ever since To Green Angel Tower), this was a truly addictive series, like many others I pre-ordered this to make sure I got my fix as quickly as possible!
From the moment you pick the book up, you are completely immersed. Tad Williams writes such complex stories that the denouement takes up at least 300 pages. Thats what's so addictive, you can feel the conclusion coming yet there's another few hundred pages to go.
When you finish any of Tad Williams' books, you have to come down again - the immersion is so complete. You almost start thinking as if you were one of the characters.
Juts one warning though - your arms will be aching by the time you've finished this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning and all-revealing, 3 May 2001
By A Customer
This is the long-awaited last part of four exciting books. The first was so surprising and thrilling that I immediately read the second one. The third was bought expecting it to be the last one in this series. It was not. This fourth and last book in the Otherland series finally answers all questions and still manages to be as exciting as the first one. Unfortunately I can't tell much about the plot because it would only spoil the fun for all the people who still have to read it. But so much can be said: A fitting and well-written ending for a gigantic story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A satisfying end to an immersive story, 5 Jun 2001
By A Customer
I didn't want this book to end. Each of the characters of Otherland have become a part of my life through the course of this series and in this book, I finally had to say goodbye. Williams plays fair in this book, bringing all of the subplots together for a conclusion that leaves you saying "how'd he do that?" When some of the series' nagging questions are finally answered, you do not feel Williams is answering them simply because he must. Each revelation is its own beautiful, frightening and tragic event, all of which, I discovered, had been worth waiting for. If I have a complaint, it is that while the ending as a whole is satisfying, the individual endings and final confrontations for some of the characters seemed anti-climatic and unsatisfying. Especially when compared to the slam-bang apocalyptic showdown which concluded Volume Three. A subplot is also introduced at the end involving Mr. Sellars and something he's created which I felt was awkward and possibly unnecessary.
Overall, however, the book is an astounding success and I fervently hope that Mr. Williams will take us into this universe and the lives of these characters again someday.

5.0 out of 5 stars An awe inspiring climax to a magnificent quartet, 26 April 2001
Mr. R. Campbell-jones (Huntingdon. UK.) - See all my reviews
There are some books that manage to set your scalp tingling at the climax. The scale of this series is such that the last 300 pages of this book will hold you in that state. All the characters slide into place as the story reaches a superbly crafted climax. This series moves into joint #1 place in my list of all time favourite books (the other being Snow Crash, by Neil Stephenson). I really can't think of much more to say other than read the series. It also includes one of the oddest heroes in any book, ever. Fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 22 April 2001
By A Customer
This was a fantastic ending to the otherland series! Every conspiracy and mystery unwrapped to my total satisfaction. This book is so well researched and so imaginative it is overwhelming. You can really relate to the characters, and some of the twists at the end were so unexpected! A disturbingly realistic idea of where mankind is heading and a truly ingenius book.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent ending to a fascinating series, 16 Aug 2002
I stayed up until 5am this morning finishing this book, and am now rather upset that I did so. As another reviewer has mentioned, it's difficult not to think like the characters in the book (Wicked Tribe!) and my head is full of lines and thoughts about the whole series. The many different story lines are tied up neatly, and there is no Spielberg ending, but already I feel myself missing the characters (Williams certainly has given us enough time to bond with them!) and wish that I hadn't finished the book.
I think reviewing a book like this is a little silly - if you've read the first three, it's unlikely you'll want to stop now; and if it's not your cup of tea, you wont have got this far! Suffice it to say that I greatly enjoyed the whole series and this last offering most of all. Chizz.

4.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing conclusion to the series., 4 May 2002
By A Customer
A mostly strong and absorbing conclusion to the series, with all the subplots finally wound together. The book has a few weak points - which is why it only gets 4 stars - but these are only minor flaws.
It has one of the best representations of a villain (Jongleur) I've seen in a science fiction book - believeable, understandable and completely loathsome, the kind of person you pray you'll never become. It has some very fine writing, including one particularly powerful scene that made me cry. And it continues its theme of 'if virtual life becomes indistinguishable from real life, how will we know what is real?'- to the point where some characters discover that they were searching for the unreal.
I would strongly advise that you read the other 3 volumes first, as this is really the last quarter of an extremely long (3000 page) novel, rather than part of a series. I would also say that this truly mammoth read is well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 2 May 2001
At last.. the ending. And what an ending! I thought that it was going to be hard work, but I was wrong. It was a huge undertaking to read (never mind write it in the first place) and I thought that it could have been done in three, but maybe I was wrong. I was right about Orlando, although he had me worried for a while. A few little twists in the tail though and all the loose ends nicely tied together left me wholly satisfied. It was a bit like a roller coaster. The first two books pulling you up and up, the third letting you go through the twisty bits and the fourth was corkscrew and loop the loop ending. Magnificaent, well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved the ending, 30 Oct 2005
I liked the ending of this quartet - no hints given here. The books are incredibly long and you have to be patient and awake reader in order to keep things together while following the different plots. In this book they all come together and Williams masters his craft well.
Renie and !Xabbu and the rest of the gang recruited by Mr. Sellars are in the strangest place they've been in yet in the Otherworld - a place that seems unfinished. They are stranded there because of the loving Dread who betrayed their company. The stories of the other members of the group are told and they find out that all of them seem to know children who have fallen into a coma.
Then some of them are able to escape and meet up with Paul Jonas (eventually). Figuring out exactly who Paul Jonas is is part of the plot in these books. In this book we finally find out what's going on. In the last book we were left at the mountain of black glass - stranded and trying to figure out where to go from there.
In North Carolina Christabel, Cho-Cho and Sellars have to face the music. All this time Jongleur's network of the Grail Brotherhood is being killed off one by one. We follow Dread in his fight to gain ownership of the Brotherhood.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Otherland 4: Sea Of Silver Light: Sea of Silver Light Bk. 4
Otherland 4: Sea Of Silver Light: Sea of Silver Light Bk. 4 by Tad Williams (Hardcover - 19 April 2001)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available