on 22 January 2012
Unlike the first book in this duology, The Lion of Macedon, which was mostly historical fiction with a dash of fantasy thrown in, Dark Prince is full-blown historical fantasy. A few historical chapters set things up, but pretty soon we're into pure fantasy. Generally speaking, historical fantasy is not my thing, but in actual fact I rather enjoyed Dark Prince. Firstly, Dark Prince doesn't pretend to be anything other than historical fantasy and is upfront about it on the cover. One of my gripes with historical fantasy is that it so often masquerades as historical fiction, which can be irritatingly misleading. Secondly, Dark Prince is still such a good novel. Admittedly, in this novel the characters no longer resemble what I would think of as their historical counterparts, but the characters are still so well-written - grey, complex, gritty, empathetic - that I was interested to see what would happen to them and how events would play out. The style of Gemmell's writing was just as consistently compelling as ever it is, except this time I was reading it in a fantasy setting. The story contained classic elements of adventure, the epic journey, illusion and transformation, all rendered expertly and making for a genuinely enjoyable story. I wasn't quite as gripped by this book as much I have been by the other books by Gemmell that I'd read thus far, but I think that's simply down to reduced interest in the subject matter - history is my passion, and I do prefer it straight up. Nevertheless, absolutely a well-written and enjoyable story.

Not quite my cup of tea, but very well executed and a good read.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 December 2015
Dark Prince is the second of a two part series (book one is Lion Of Macedon). While not as strong in my opinion as it's predecessor, Dark Prince is still an excellent novel that's well written, full of action and a varied and interesting cast of interesting characters.

This series is in the historic fantasy genre though this book leans more heavily towards fantasy than Lion of Macedon though it still revolves around historical figures such as the Maceadonian general Parmenion and Alexander the Great. The plot for me isn't really fully cohesive enough, it kind of meanders around for a while but some of the scenes that happen are fantastic and it does conclude well at the end wrapping things up rather nicely. Gemmell's easy to read writing style and his typical shades of grey characters really are what keep this novel flowing though. He was a master at writing character in my opinion, sculpting unlikeable heroes or likeable villains, nothing is ever clear cut.

To sum up I have read every book by David Gemmell and liked every single one, Dark Prince being no different. I highly recommend giving this a go. (though obviously read Lion of Macedon first if you haven't).

+ Great characters.
+ Some epic scenarios.
+ Wraps up nicely.

- Plot takes a while to find direction for me.
on 17 August 2001
I discovered D. Gemmell some years ago thanks to a guy in a bookshop. Since then, I've read all of his books as I've able to get a hold on to. This is one of the best...it has some more fantasy and "alternate-world-stuff" than its predecessor "Lion of Macedon" but this doesn't distract from the story. "Au contrair" it adds onto it, making it colourful, descriptive, real fun. The book seems to be very well researched, and it's amazing how the story plot blends into the few storic facts that we know about those times. If you like Gemmell, this one is a must!
on 23 February 2016
If you like fantasy fiction and blood and guts then there is no writer that does it better. David Gemmell will undoubtedly be on the big screen some time in the future. The characters are brilliant and his writing brings everything to life in an energetic and story driven manner. I have now read every one of his books. An incredible talent that is sadly no longer with us.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 June 2011
This predecessor to this book is a personal favourite, it has been a book that has lit the fire or reading in my heart and it has been there ever since, before this title, I was happy to pick up the odd book here and there, but could easily be distracted to other things, since...well my house if full of them.

Most people know this as a fantasy title, but would be surprised to know it started life as a Historical Fiction title, but due to the way publishers don't like their authors crossing genre it was change it to fantasy or release as another Ross Harding title. Lucky for us we got the book we did because it is brilliant.
The characters so real and so lifelike, I doubt anyone could read this book and not feel real emotions as the book progresses.
Gemmell has a way of creating heroes from villains, villains from heroes and a whole lot of grey that we need to decide ourselves, the world is not black and white, but also points out that we all know our own little evils, the things we have done right, a real be true to yourself and treat others as you would like to be treated aspect, but there is no preaching it is just a moral message that pervades this and his other books.

anyone who has read Lion of Macedon will then have been forced to read Dark prince will notice the heavier fantasy element to Dark Prince, written just for fantasy, and while not the pinnacle of writing that Lion of Macedon is it's still a fantastic read, as are almost all gemmell books

I cannot think of anyone who would not enjoy this book, it really has been great to read and i have read it over a dozen times.
on 7 December 1999
The life of Alexander, and the lands in which he travelled and conquered are beutifully encapsulated in this awesome sequal to The Lion of Macedon. The depth of characters, the vivid atmosphere and the crunching battle sequences allow the reader to almost smell the events taking place! The historical aspects of this text also bear recognising. This is a well researched story, which is complimented by a mysticism that almost fits the beleifs of the period. A Classic.
on 24 September 2013
Carries on the story of Alexander the Great as started in Lion of Macedon. Bit more magic and mythology in this sequel compared to the first book.But that might just be me. If you like Gemmell books you'll be used to it so don't let it put you off.
on 11 March 2003
I won't admit that this book follows on heavily from the previous 'Lion of Macedon'. However, David Gemmell does a fantastic job at bringing you up to speed with the information you need to know.
Therefore, although I highly recommend reading 'Lion of Macedon' first, it is not required to enjoy this adventurous, historically and fictionally interesting book. The way he mixed history and fantasy together to create Parmenion's (the lead character) world was respectable in 'Lion Of Macedon'. But this book plays on the fantasy aspect to give a gripping read.
A worthy read for anyone who likes a deep story and fast paced action. This book will feed your imagination for weeks after you finish the book.
on 21 September 2011
I started this book not to long ago and was rather taken back by the direction it goes in comparison to the previous book. While still a good book it seems to change the dynamic set in Lion of Macededon and seems to go in a completely different direction, but this isn't necessarily a negitive thing as the story is told in a typical Gemmell way, so you can expect deep character driven fantasy and plot twists which you never see coming.

Yes, it borders more on the bizarre at points but still makes for a compelling read and the fact that it says Gemmell on the cover should be enough to let you know that regarless of the alternate path it leads you down it will still be a well thought out and intrueging story.
on 2 February 1999
This was one of the best David Gemmell books I've read. It's was mainly concerened with Alexander The Great and as such has lots a exciting battles. It's also fully of great characters that transcend the usual sterotype sometimes found in this genre.
One of my favourite things about it was Gemmells use of ancient battle strategy and logic. Of course there is also the usual mixture of magic and fantasy but a good balance is acheived betwewen the two.
A good solid read.