5.0 out of 5 stars David Gemmell's best book
Published on 27 Nov 2003 by samildanach

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Book but not Great
I have not read many David Gemmell books yet but this falls short on quality when compared to the ones I have read so far. I thought this book was good in places but it felt a bit rushed towards the end.
Published on 13 July 2011 by Mr. D. G. Koh

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars David Gemmell's best book, 27 Nov 2003
This review is from: Knights of Dark Renown (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this book for the fifth time! As a massive Gemmell fan, I have read each and everyone of David Gemmell's books and whilst ALL of them are excellent, Knights of Dark Renown has to be my favourite. It's a real epic heroic fantasy tale with a great twist in it. From the outset, when you are introduced to the Knights of the Gabala, (champions of good in the Nine Duchies), you are swept along by Gemmell's superbly descriptive narrative and he has a real knack for making his characters lifelike and believable. Despite having read this book four times previously, I still found myself unable to put the book down which is excellent testimony to this superb book. Despite what other reviewer's have said, I like the fact that none of the main characters are 'safe' and prefer a book where some are killed off or meet an heroic end.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Gemmells best ever, 17 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Knights Of Dark Renown (Paperback)
As one of David Gemmell's biggest fans I would like to announce that this is one of his greatest books ever! I love his use of flawed characters, it seems to make them that more realistic and likeable, however I agree with an earlier review in that I would like to see some of these characters stay alive! This book starts of at a fairly slow pace, introducing us to the main protagonists making us think early on we know what is to come. This is where Gemmell truely comes into his own however. His characters never behave in the way that many characters in other books behave, here stereotypes are ignored or, when seen quickly booted to one side (in particular the chracter of the Duke, I wont spoil it for you by revealing what happens). It is the twists in characters that keep reading the book well into the early hours. One small gripe is that of the storyline. Here it is a small band of good guys taking on the might of an evil army, remind anyone of Winter Warriors? It seems that Gemmell only had about three different story lines from which to choose, although he does hide it well by his clever use of characters. I am impressed by the depth into which this book explores the characters and their flaws, something which is often missing in the current section of fantasy books. As the pace speeds up we are sent to places that we would never have expected to go, and the duel at the end is truely one of Gemmells greatest ever! All in all an excellent read and well worth trying for anyone who has not read any of Gemmell before!

5.0 out of 5 stars A master at work, 21 Mar 2012
Steve D (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Knights Of Dark Renown (Paperback)
Six years ago the nine Knights of the Gabala, upholders of peace and justice, travelled through a magical gate to the land of the Vyre. Their help had been requested and great rewards promised. A young boy, Lug, witnessed their departure and, in doing so, first discovered his own immense power. The Knights of the Gabala never returned from their mission - all but for the one of them called Manannan, whose cowardice led him to flee as the others crossed the threshold - and now the kingdom has become a place of fear, with people of nomadic descent being slaughtered to purify the lands. It is a place calling out for heroes to lead it back from the brink.

This was typical of Gemmell: the set-up sounds so cliched, so familiar, and yet - in the telling - it is anything but. He was the master of heroic fantasy, and he doesn't get nearly enough credit, as far as I'm concerned. His greatest strength was always in his ability to create vivid, memorable characters, and this book contains some of the best I have yet come across.

Knights of Dark Renown is a stand alone novel, its whole story contained within its 400 pages. The pacing is almost immaculate, with hardly a word or scene wasted. This is one of his earlier novels, yet it is easy to see the progression he had made in terms of his style from, say, Legend, already a classic of the genre. The dialogue, especially, is more natural. Ubadai, in particular, has some very funny and memorable lines.

The other thing with Gemmell was that he had no hesitation in killing off his best characters so long as - and this is crucial, in my opinion - they were true to themselves. None of his characters die without meaning and, consequently, emotion. He puts them in impossible situations and makes you watch as their fates are decided.

Finally, this book may not be his absolute best but it does have one of best last lines I have ever read - four simple words that left me with my jaw hanging open.

Many people seem to be comparing Joe Abercrombie to David Gemmell. In my opinion, Abercrombie can only wish he was this good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Gemmell Gem, 18 Mar 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Knights Of Dark Renown (Paperback)
One mark of a good author is the ability to move away from the comfort zone, inhabited by both reader and writer, of familiar characters. Shifting away from both of his successful Drenai and Jerusalem Man series, Gemmell manages to create another fantastical world populated by heroes and villians. The story revolves around a group of characters brought together through strange circumstances to battle a great evil in classic although slightly cliche plot. Yet Gemmell's fluid writing that will leave you wondering why it has become so dark when you finally put the book down, never allows the slight flaws of similar characterisation to prevent his books from once again scaling the heights of the fantasy genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Class, 13 Aug 2013
It's David Gemmell...he hasn't written a book that deserves less than 5 stars...saying that I wasn't too keen on Ironhands Daughter...RIP David.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knights of dark renown, 8 April 2013
Well written and thoroughly enjoyable as all David Gemmel stories, I was unable to put the book down. Recommended to all readers of fantasy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knights of Dark Renown, 8 Mar 2013
Very good just read and try to put it down,it is one of Gemmells best in my humble opinion and a must !

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 Jan 2013
Fantastic book, I enjoy this author very much and must admins one of my favourite books he has wrote, I could read it again and again

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsung heroes, 10 Dec 2012
E. Elliott "Badger" (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a Gemmell fan and love his work. This book does what he always does best - captures the essence of being a human and trying to do one's best despite the odds. The heroes are sometimes the least likely and their human weaknesses all to evident. And yet when the cause arises they too rise up to meet the need. If you're a Gemmell fan you don't need me to tell you this is an excellent book. If you've never heard of Gemmell then this book is a great way to discover the wonderful world of fantasy that he imagined.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knights of Dark Renown, 23 Sep 2012
This review is from: Knights Of Dark Renown (Paperback)
I loved this book as soon as I started to read it and although I have loved all of his books this is the one I have kept and like other reviewers can read over and over again. I was very lucky to meet David before his death and I asked him why he hadn't continued the book in another series, as I felt there was a lot more to be said from this book. He said at the same time this book was released, there was another book with the same title in the shops by another author and Knights was slow to be purchased. What a shame would have loved more of the same.
He was a very interesting man to listen to and he gave me a t.shirt advertising his latest book.Lucky me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaa251c48)

Knights Of Dark Renown
Knights Of Dark Renown by David Gemmell (Paperback - 16 Nov 1989)
7.19