5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, heart-warming SF novel
This book is proof enough that one of the world's greatest space scientists can also write great SF!
It is a super SF novel, but it's more than that. Throughout the book, Carl Sagan's love and hope for the human race shine through.
Eleanora Arroway, a woman who has known her fair share of bad times in her life, eventually becomes the head of a space center which...
Published on 3 Oct 2001 by W. Robinson

2.0 out of 5 stars Cosmos was better
I'm a huge fan of Carl Sagan, but found this particular foray into fiction the only book of his to be well, a bit boring.

Don't get me wrong, it was really good in places, but for a story it was a little over-technical (ironic from a writer who usually managed to make the most complex and technical things very easy to understand and poetic)

I saw...
Published on 2 Mar 2008 by Hotblack Desiato

4.0 out of 5 stars Carl Sagan's Contact, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Contact (Paperback)
A good read and although written decades ago, is still very much relevant today. The book was made into a film starring Jodie Foster and I watched this before reading the book. There is, however, so much more in the book. It is an exciting prospect to think that all of this could be true and that there must be many more advanced civilisations in the universe that haven't made contact with us yet. Or have they in ages gone by?
It shows the dilemma we would face on earth if this happened and debates religion vs science quite nicely. It is also good to see how it unifies the people of earth in the face of the unknown- ie friend or foe?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great in places, not so much in others, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Contact (Paperback)
As a keen fan of science I hold a large amount of respect and admiration for Carl Sagan.
As for the this story, first of all, the plot's great. Though the writing's a little too detailed and technical in places, it's still very much readable. I was surprised at just how much religion was covered in the story - which I found to be unnecessary, off-putting at times. Especially considering that Sagan wasn't remotely religious himself. As some other commenters have pointed out, it's quite different from the film, if you have happened across it, you'll notice a lot of differences between the novel and the 1990s movie.
I wasn't sure whether to rate it a three or a four star. I settled on four stars, which if you can get passed the unecessary bits about religion and the sometimes confusing technical jargon, it's well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, well worth reading, 31 Dec 2012
S. Dyer (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contact (Paperback)
Well worth reading, well written. Somewhat different to the movie starring Jodie Foester, though personally I'd recommend both rather than one over the other!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 23 Sep 2012
This review is from: Contact (Paperback)
Everything was perfect. Fast shipiment and so on. Buying from Brazil and shiping to London. Perfect. Nothing to complain. Very happy with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, 9 Sep 2011
This review is from: Contact (Paperback)
This book is fascinating and gave me a fresh look when looking at the stars above.
The only thing: I dont think we human would take the risk to build the machine. It would be tempting but would we risk?

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the film more, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: Contact (Paperback)
Please try not to see the film before you read the book. Whilst I found the book a good steady read with some great ideas, I felt that Sagan's screenplay for the film flowed far better and gave greater depth to some of the main characters. A good example being Arroway's father who didn't really feature heavily in the book but was her driving force in the film. Also Hadden played a central part in the film and brought together a few loose ends left in the book. I'd recommend the book but I'd highly recommend the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars intelligent and brilliant, 17 Oct 2010
This review is from: Contact (Paperback)
This book is much better than the film, so please read it if you liked the film anyway. If you didn't like the film it's even a better reason to read it. If you never heard about it, I'd suggest to read the book first anyway... Carl did great work, representing a new and more elegant way of imagining extraterrestrial intelligent life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing..., 24 Feb 2010
This review is from: Contact (Paperback)
I always like the film, not a really a sci-fi fan but fancied giving this a go.
Wow, I'm glad I did! This is now easily amongst my favourite books of all time. The book is fairly different to the film but undoubtedly better. Carl raises some thought provoking questions regarding the origins of the universe which has actually led me to question my own athiest beliefs and pursue a path to finding out more.
I could not recommend this book enough and I am now about to buy Dragons of Eden.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating., 17 Nov 2009
This review is from: Contact (Hardcover)
No matter how high you set your expectations for this book, it will exceed them. It's greatness is beyond imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Massively Impressive, 25 Aug 2000
M. Bryant - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contact (Audio Cassette)
Carl Sagan's imagination based on his excellent scientific background makes for a superb read. Just get the book and read it (even if you have seen the later film) and enjoy a work of genious.

Contact
Contact by Carl Sagan (Paperback - 16 Oct 1997)