Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 August 2001
Ok, I liked this book. The characters are well defined, but did anyone else notice that this book was extremely similar to The Dragonbone Chair and its sequels? In both books there is the servant boy who runs away and meets a beautiful noble girl...and so on. All in all though, well worth reading.
on 6 July 2013
I would suggest that you do not start this unless you have time to finish it and then read the other two. I loved the story line and it wasn't too complicated that you forgot who was who as can happen in other books of the genre. Highly recommended
on 18 April 2001
I just could not get interested in any of the characters in this book. The stereotypes are all there, and boring to boot, and I found that I really didn't care what happens to anyone. Compared to Tad William's 'Dragonbone Chair' trilogy, which this series reminds me of a little too strongly, the motivations of nearly all the characters are extremely shallow. Actions and reactions are so predictable, as to make one read just to see if anyone will break the mold! I bought the other two volumes, as usually I enjoy fantasy series, but I don't think I'll even bother opening them - second hand bookshop is the destination for these three I'm afraid.
on 19 January 2015
Was told by friend about this book a wile ago,and have just got around to reading it. Good character build up. Couldn't put it down once I started, and had to download the next one straight away once I finished book one.
on 19 June 2013
I'm a big fan of j.v.jones, she always has great multi-faceted characters and a quick tempo to her writing that keeps you hooked. Read this if you like game of thrones or lord of the rings.
on 16 July 1998
Baker's Boy is a very good book to read but the author's promise of powerful knowledge learned by the baker's boy is unfulfilled. If not for that this would be a 5 star book in my opinion.
on 16 July 1998
on 12 December 2014
Just could not wait to read this book again and just like the first time around, I could not put it down. Fabulous author.
on 7 October 2001
This book is about the the typical unfortunate boy- doesn't know his parents, poor, no money, baker's boy, knows nothing but how to bake bread- rather titre.
Well, like all other books, the poor kind finds he has STRONG magical powers- more powerful than the strongest magician in the land...
The plot rattles on- you get the picture...
What I find very annoying about this book, is it revolves around about a dozen seperate characters, causing the story to change to another persons' view entirely. So, once you get attached to a certain character, it's about another twenty-five pages before the character pops in again.
I also find that this book blunders on about the same thing- several failed assassin attempts on the same person. etc. The same things happen over and over again.
So, if you are someone who doesn't get attached to the main character and don't mind the book jumping from character to character- this is the book for you.
on 11 July 2001
In this first installment of the Book of Words trilogy, you will find a few interesting characters (mainly the vilains, and the knight Tawl), some nice ideas and one or two good jokes, but on the whole the plot is poor, the action is slow and the main character (Jack) is a dissapointment. I must admit though that the whole concept was intriguing enough to make me want to read the sequel (A Man Betrayed), which proved to be a much more interesting book.