5.0 out of 5 stars A exellent book-One of my favotites
Julie Jones is a wonderful author. In the Baker's Boy, she has woven a web of great mystery and intrigue. She focuses not just on the plot lines themselves, but on character content and on making the characters "grow" emotionally. Jack, for instance, is widly afraid of his powers at the beginning of the novel. By the end, however, he seems to have at least come...
Published on 29 Oct 1997

3.0 out of 5 stars It was good, but....
Ok, I liked this book. The characters are well defined, but did anyone else notice that this book was extremely similar to The Dragonbone Chair and its sequels? In both books there is the servant boy who runs away and meets a beautiful noble girl...and so on. All in all though, well worth reading.
Published on 5 Aug 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY VERY INTERESTING, 20 Oct 1998
By A Customer
I HAVE READ THIS BOOK AND I WOULD RECOMED IT TO ONE AND ALL. THIS AUTHOR HAS A BRILLIANT MIND IF NOT A LITTLE DISTURBING. JUST KIDDING! HER DETAILS AND THE WAY IT MAKES YOU FEEL A PART OF THE STORY IS AMAZING. I CAN JUST PICTURE MYSELF SAILING WITH A BUNCH OF CRUSTY OLD SAILORS TO AN ISLAND OF ??????? I LOVE YOUR WORK JULIE . KEEP IT UP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different to Sword of Shadows, still better than most fantasy!, 20 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Baker's Boy: Book 1 of the Book of Words (Paperback)
I read this book for the first time when I was 12, recently having finished Lord of the Rings and looking for another style of fantasy to immerse myself in. Of course, I loved it, the believable characters, the political intrigue, the (usually) subtle hints of magic, the understandable villain, the 'fate' concept which seemed all too new to me then!

I read it, and all her other books, many times (ah, the obsessions of youth), but, as the later Sword of Shadows books were coming out, I lost interest in the earlier trilogy.

After 12 years, going through a 'reminiscent fantasy phase', after hating a well-acclaimed Trudi Canavan book (she is terrible!), I started re-reading them again, partly to see whether they were as intriguing as I remembered them, or just immature and teen- focussed like Trudi Canavan. I was pleasantly surprised to find I enjoy them still!

I've seen some reviews criticising the writing. The writing style is so simple, mostly very short sentences, but works with an almost 'stream of conscience', meandering style. This would be refined in her later books, but still manages to charm here.

I'd recommend this for anyone getting into fantasy, especially younger readers wanting something more 'adult' but not ready for something too bogged down with description. Fans of Sword of Shadows (which I would argue is absolutely amazing) who haven't read this may be put off to start with, but there is still much to appreciate. Also, as the writing style is so easy to read, it only takes a couple of days to finish each book. So go for it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic start to a series, 28 April 2011
This review is from: The Baker's Boy: Book 1 of the Book of Words (Paperback)
This is a great book for anyone with a liking for fantasy fiction. The novel has an almost medieval feel to it, with old castles, dark forests, knights and magic. The prose is beautifully written and the story is highly addictive reading.

I found I got invested in the characters early on in the novel and by the end of it I felt like I was having the adventures with Jack and Mellie. A wonderful first book in the series, I definately recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars J.V. Jones is a wicked author, she is Dumas come alive., 28 Dec 2001
This review is from: The Baker's Boy: Book 1 of the Book of Words (Paperback)
Jones is a master storyteller in the old tradition, with a keen knowledge of how to enchant you with her language and her plot.
She drags you after her, into bedrooms and chambers. Through woods and channels, and around the country, riding and on foot, stealing your night's sleep in order to find out, what will happen to the Baker's Boy and the run away bride he meets on his way, besides all the other strange and cruel caracters she whips up with her magic pen.
Go for it. Jones is an intelligent writer, and she deserves every one of the stars I have given her, in my oppinion

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow !, 24 Mar 1997
By A Customer
New author, Jones has created a deep, intricate plot that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Being the first book in the Book of Words trilogy, The Baker's Boy introduces a suspensful storyline along with unforgettable characters.
Jack, a baker's boy, finds out that he has the dreaded power of sorcery. Meanwhile, Melli, daughter of Lord Maybor, is about to be married to evil Prince Kylock against her wishes. Jack and Melli, both deciding to run away from the castle, meet each other during their journey. And so, the fufillment of Marod's prophecy begins.
I recommend this book to anyone looking for a great adventure, a thickening plot, and unforgettable reading experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, interesting characters, fun to read., 22 May 1998
By A Customer
A very worth while reading that has some very interesting characters and novel plot. My only criticism is that the story jumped around too much from character to character and never really let them fully develop with the story. I was disappointed that the ending of the book didn't tie up any loose ends at all. I realize the idea is to encourage the reader to buy the next installment of the trilogy, but I think the author goes a little too far here.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was good, but...., 5 Aug 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Baker's boy, 3 May 2014
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This was an okay read, a medieval fantasy which took trades such as bakers and their enemies the millers into account. We still come to stereotypes however and this is clearly a wandering start to an ongoing story. One of the good guy characters is hypnotised into committing a murder, and we are to see how this turns out in the next book.

If I hadn't read better fantasies I might have enjoyed this series more; as it was I skipped the second book and read the last.

3.0 out of 5 stars book of Words series - The Baker's Boy, 20 Nov 2013
From her early days - not as nuanced and detailed as later work, but a comfortable read for all that. The Sword of Shadows series shows her progress and maturity as a writer, and for me, it's always nice to follow that progression through, without being a vicious critic. We all have to start somewhere, and encouragement is a necessity if we are to enjoy our favourite authors!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start to the story, 6 July 2013
This review is from: The Baker's Boy: Book 1 of the Book of Words (Paperback)
I would suggest that you do not start this unless you have time to finish it and then read the other two. I loved the story line and it wasn't too complicated that you forgot who was who as can happen in other books of the genre. Highly recommended

The Baker's Boy: Book 1 of the Book of Words
The Baker's Boy: Book 1 of the Book of Words by J. V. Jones (Paperback - 4 April 1996)
6.71