on 27 September 2011
This book had a lot to live up to after the success of 'The Eye Of The World' and it sure does. A fantastic book, one of an amazing series. A 'must-read' if you enjoyed the first.
on 28 January 2013
Fantastic read. Great involvement with characters and constantly evolving story. The only problem is that if you read this, then you're going to have to read the rest!
on 14 February 2011
When I used to read through The Wheel of Time from start to finish I saw The Great Hunt as the book I had to read in order to get to The Dragon Reborn (which is my favourite book of the series). TGH always felt like the second book in a trilogy and stand up on it's own as well the one before or after it. It didn't have that feeling of discovering a brand new world like TEOTW did and didn't have a brilliant mix of plots converging on one place like TDR did. Yes, admittedly, both the Tear finale in TDR and the Falme finale in TGH had several different plot point converging on a single place but I feel Jordan did it better with TDR and can't help but compare TGH's finale to it, to TGH's cost.

I also thought that the blowing of Horn of Valere was a bit underwhelming. Yes, the meeting of Rand and Co and the Heroes of The Horn was a great moment and very well written but from that point on the Heroes are mentioned in passing and not given a POV to show them in their battle. A POV chapter from Mat or Perrin would have been brilliant to show us just how badass everyone called forth is, especially Artur Hawkwing. Since this is the only time so far we get to see these Heroes, it would have been nice to see more of them.

However, on subsequent read-through, I found myself appreciating this book a lot more. It was a lot of little things that did it. Hints throughout the Selene about her true identity were a very nice touch. Min's viewing are a great thing to see after you've read the entire series, allowing you to go 'that one's happened, so has that, that hasn't yet' as a little check list. Plus there are a lot of character moments that I missed the first time round that flesh out the main guys and girls (Nynaeve's realisation that she couldn't have Elayne put on the adam was nice, it showed the difference at that point between her and Moiraine, who I think would have still put the collar on Elayne if needbe).

Overall, while still not as good as TDR in my opinion, The Great Hunt is one of the books in the series that gets better with subsequent readthrough. Though the spelling errors on the Kindle version are annoying.
on 2 October 2012
Replacement for a worn-out book. I've enjoyed the saga so much that I am gradually wering out my initial books.
on 14 May 2012
Great book, from a great series of books - If you are willing to give the series a go, it will reward you.
on 28 January 2015
good
on 9 October 2014
good
on 8 August 2014
Good
on 8 June 2005
Other reviewers have summarised the plot.
My main negative criticisms fall into two parts.
Although Jordan creates a rich world with an interesting history, political geography and institutions, I found too many ideas which seemed like Tolkien with knobs on... an imprisoned Dark Lord, Trollocs (orcs/trolls), the Ways (the Mines of Moria).
More seriously, the main characters are fundamentally unbelievable. Witness the conversation of the female characters which at times seems like something lifted from a 1930s schoolgirl book - "I've never had an adventure. I bet we won't either of us cry ourselves to sleep on an adventure".
And the youthful characters themselves act like children in many respects - are we to believe that this group never have any sexual encounters either amongst themselves or with others, at most one character finds another to be goodlooking or attractive.
The series would have been much improved by realistic characters acting and speaking like adults.
on 18 February 2013
I have read and reread this one and still love the swirl of the story. The characters develop and the strands are brought together before they move apart again ready for the next link in the saga.