5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful story, astonishingly lovely illustrations.
Published on 27 Oct. 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed
I thought I was ordering the book illustrated by Jane Ray. But I got a book with no pictures that had blank pages included. Presumably this was to bulk the book up. This was not at all clear when ordering.
Published on 29 Sept. 2010 by anois

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful story, astonishingly lovely illustrations., 27 Oct. 2002
By A Customer
My two year old got this book as a birthday present. It was quite advanced and I didn't read it for months. When I did, under pressure from my daughter, I was sure that she would lose interest half way through. Somehow she didn't. The Oscar Wilde story is beautifully told, with lovely use of language and repetition "Swallow, swallow, little swallow' etc. The illustrations are magical. Jane Ray uses lots of gilt and so for the adult reader, every page is magical. I can read and reread this story and my daughter seems to know that it is my favourite book as when she is being especially sweet she picks it out for her nighttime read. It is for a more mature child though, I would recommend it for a five year old who enjoys language and detailed pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely edition, 13 April 2011
This review is from: The Happy Prince And Other Tales (Everyman's Library Children's Classics) (Hardcover)
(NB this is a review of the Everyman's Classic edition!) In a world of kindles it is ever more important that children learn to engage with books as things of beauty, to be treasured as objects as well as doors to other worlds. This Everymans Classics series bids fair to do just that. The books are nicely made with glowing cloth covers and lovely pictures on the cover. They feel good to handle and will be the highlight of many a bookshelf. Well done Everyman!
As for the Happy Prince - of course every child should read him and every adult re-read him. The stories, while full of beautiful images, have such an acute ability to tell us about the cruelty of the world and the consolations life offers. The image of the Happy Prince, stripped of his finery and the dead sparrow at his feet never fails to make me come over all weepy!

5.0 out of 5 stars It arrived promptly and in excellent condition and, 7 Jan. 2015
I bought this as a Christmas present for my nieces in Poland. It arrived promptly and in excellent condition and, crucially, in time for Christmas. Both girls (one is six, the other only two) love the stories, although Oscar's stories are not always sweetness and light, but explore some quite grown-up and poignant themes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed, 29 Sept. 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Nov. 2014
Excellent.

The Happy Prince And Other Tales (Everyman's Library Children's Classics)