5.0 out of 5 stars A book to live with...
Like many, I intially read this at University and didn't really enjoy it, but there is a huge gulf between reading and studying and when I came across it again on a forgotten book shelf I thought, "Well, it won the Booker of Bookers, I must've missed something." With this in mind, I read it again and oh, my goodness, I'm glad I did. I certainly missed something...
Published on 18 May 2007 by Neil Kealey

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult, but Im glad I stayed with it
Im only 16 and wanted to see if I would handle a Rushdie piece of work. I grabbed this book at the airport before a trip to India and was at once surprised and exasperated. I did find it difficult and had to re-read many passages to try and comprehend what Rushdie was saying. But the idea, writing and ending were superb and Im glad I stayed with it, although as this has...
Published on 14 April 2001

‹ Previous | 113 14 15 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars A literery struggle!, 12 Jan. 2014
After decing to up the litereary level of my reading I tried and tried to read this book - just too long winded for me. I thought I would love it having travelled extensively through India but I just found it all a bit tedious. Read two thirds and then gave up - life is just too short to peel a grape!

1.0 out of 5 stars Midnight's Children, 2 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Paperback)
If you want to read a classic set in India then try Vikram Seth's excellent 'A Suitable Boy'. For easy reading, John Master's 'Bhowani Junction' is also highly entertaining. My strong recommendation is to avoid Midnight's Children though. Put simply, far too much of it is boring. Mind numbingly dull in fact. Overall there is a sort of nerdy smugness to the writing style, with very long self indulgent passages which sadly, were unable to engage me at all. So have a look at Vikram Seth and prepare to be enchanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, but the grass is greener, 7 Mar. 2002
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Paperback)
i read and enjoyed this greatly a few years ago; i would, however, have rately it much more highly if i'd not read it shortly after Gunther Grass's Hundejahre (a German pun on Dog Years/Century), from which it takes a great deal of its style. Can only assume that the Booker judges didn't have much knowledge of German literature when making this "Booker of Bookers" - it's not half as innovative as it appears, although it's still great fun to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure mince, 22 Jan. 2004
RG (Glasgow United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Paperback)
As an English Lit grad and a keen reader of contemporary literary fiction, I approached this with great expectations.
Sad to say, I found it a major disappointment. Turgid, overblown, over-written and pretentious, it is, as we down to earth Scots would say - pure mince.

1.0 out of 5 stars I desperately wanted to enjoy this book but...., 25 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Paperback)
This book is at best difficult to read but I doggedly persevered with it. I found it to be totally devoid of context, perspective and relevance. It consists of one agonising meandering after another and leaves the reader begging for relief. Unfortunately relief never comes. This book does not inform, it does not enlighten and certainly does not entertain. I’d sooner go to the dentist than pick up another Booker Prize-winner. This is quite simply the worst book I have ever read and I'm devastated.

1.0 out of 5 stars The emporer's new clothes...., 18 Aug. 2008
Anthony J. Armstrong (Ilkley, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Paperback)
Having read and enjoyed many of the finest authors of the 19th & 20th century (including many Indian authors) I felt I had to explore Rushdie. What a mistake - pretentious, self-indulgent claptrap.

1.0 out of 5 stars hard going, 24 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Paperback)
I found this book immensely hard to get into. Tried a few times and just abandoned it in the end :(

1.0 out of 5 stars PANTS, 16 Feb. 2009
Mrs. D. Datson (UK) - See all my reviews
This was my book club choice, I picked it because of the reviews it had received and the prizes it had won, my god what hard work, not one person in the book club thought it worth the paper it was written on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Emperor's New Clothes, 13 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Paperback)
I will keep this short and sweet - something the authour is incapable of. An excellent potential subject matter, let down by an overblown, self important literary 'style' which does its best to alienate and exclude the reader. I was determined to finish this book, and managed it after numerous excruciating weeks. It actually put me off reading for a time. If this is one of the critics' favourites, what hope for real talent? Utter, utter rubbish.

1.0 out of 5 stars How to spot a fraud...., 31 July 2008
Anyone, and I do mean anyone, who tells you that this is a good book is a pretentious fraud. Rushdie doubtless has an excellent command of language but is unable to stop himself overindulging, as a result the book is wordy, disjointed and goes nowhere. Midnight's Children is a classic fraudster's book, praised only by those who want the reflected glory of association with a book supposedly only capable of being understood and appreciated by "intellectuals." It's a shame really as Rushdie clearly has talent, however his writing is simply abysmal and because he is the darling of the literary establishment people pretend that they like and appreciate his work - don't waste your money, if you want to have a good read try Lolita by Nabakov, a true wordsmith from whom Rushdie could learn alot.

‹ Previous | 113 14 15 | Next ›

Midnight's Children (Everyman's Library Classics)
Midnight's Children (Everyman's Library Classics) by Salman Rushdie (Hardcover - 21 Sept. 1995)