5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful gift, 1 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Art of Worship: Paintings, Prayers, and Readings for Meditation (National Gallery London) (Hardcover)
The author gave me a copy of this book for my mum. She cried when she recorded it as she loved it so much. She asked me to order 2 more copies for her to give to friends including her vicar who was going through tough times. They all found the book beautiful and inspiring

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Worship at the National Gallery, 2 Nov. 2012
I saw this book at a friend`s house and was really keen to have my own copy and could also think of a friend who would appreciate it to use on visits to London.As a practising Christian I have always been impressed with the descriptions beside the religious paintings in the NT and often call in to the Gallery just to see 2 or 3 or just to visit one room when I visit London, but I think as well as looking at the paintings the Revd. Nicholas Holtam`s meditations are also helpful and so are the prayers. It is a book to treasure and enjoy for a long time and I was so thrilled to find I could purchase it on Amazon. In its hard cover it is a beautifully produced book and as well as using it for meditations now I shall look forward to using it on my next visit to London.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Attractive Book, 7 Sept. 2011
P. Worthington (England) - See all my reviews
There is much food for thought in this beautifully produced and handy volume. I recommend it for its selection of paintings,
the inspiring discussion and
its very attractive layout.
I think it would make a
great present for lovers of art & spirituality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Art of worship, 17 Dec. 2011
Great book. Nice to have guide to some great paintings in the gallery. Written with great love of the subject. Good size to carry around the gallery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal follow up or guide to National Gallery visit, 13 Sept. 2011
I visited the National Gallery a couple of years ago to view the religious paintings there. The size of some is awesome and I was moved at the time to buy some of the postcards in their shop to bring home. I spent more on cards that day than this book cost and everyone of my selection and more are here with Nicholas Holtam's comments and devotionals as well. Although a book of this size cannot reflect the sheer scale or detail of the real works, I was pleased to hear the book reviewed on BBC radio when Nicholas Holtam was being interviewed on 'Midweek.' Lucky man to have had a job so close to NatGall to see these works on a daily basis. If you can't go, get this book; if you can, get this book and set the full day aside to read the scriptures and writings of a man after my own heart. 5 stars had it been bigger format. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Worship: Paintings, Prayers and Readings for Meditation, 27 Feb. 2014
Nick Holtam's book is a real treasure and very useable. It provides a rich introduction to some of the most amazing pictures in the National Gallery woven together with prayers and readings. I gave this as a gift to an American friend in the hope that one day he will cross the Pond to come and see these pictures!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for personal use or as a gift, 20 May 2015
T. P. Lewis - See all my reviews
I often refer to it. A good and sometimes imaginative selection of paintings, and appropriate comments an quotations. I often give copies as gifts at Christmas or Easter

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 July 2014
Fantastic and very interesting book. Thank you very much