on 18 April 2005
I bought this book alongside with other books on writing dissertations. I found this the most useful and helpful of the lot as it was written in a clear logical way that i could understand, there were no fancy words, complicated issues etc.
Throughout my dissertation it has provided me with guidance on what to write in certain sections of my work, not only that it has provided me with the structure of what a dissertation should look like. Overall it has kept me sane and I would definately recommend it to people who are undertaking a dissertation, plus it is at a reasonable price too.
0Comment| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2002
This book has been a lifesaver! Half way through a dissertation I suddenly realised that I was drifting aimlessly. I knew that I should be doing something for the dissertation, but I wasn't sure what! This book gave me guidance and helped me to structure my dissertation plan when I needed it most. I would definitely recommend it to others!
0Comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 August 2006
I started my dissertation very late - too late - and bought this book to help me through. It's a very simple, uncomplicated book which helps you set out your dissertation in the right way and guide you through the process of planning it, writing it, and checking it.

Also, as it is written by an ex lecturer the advice is coming from the right sort of person. There is a checklist at the back of the book which helps you mark your own piece of work and check that you've done the basics. It also has some useful tips yo help you avoid the most common errors.

I managed to get a First for my dissertation, thanks largely to this book. But save yourself rushing about like I did if you can, and buy this simple little book early, before you start!
22 comments| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2009
This is a good book, it is well written, however it only truly helps those who are doing a Practical Masters Dissertation (constructed or explored).

This may help those undergrads doing degrees that include Labortatory experiments, Field experiemtns, Models, simulations, Surveys, Action Research, Observations, Evalutation, Developmentsal research.

For those whose degrees that make this impossible will find this book very confusing. For example those studying religious, mathematical, aesthic, economic, managerial, technical, political, and social studies. This book is not right for you

"Your Undergraduate Dissertation: The Essential Guide for Success (SAGE Study Skills Series) (Paperback)
by Nicholas Walliman" is far more superior and undoubtedly a must-have for all undergraduate dissertation writers.
33 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2009
I teach final year project at undergrad level and found this little gem not long back.
It's an easy and accessible guide for both dissertation writers and planners, both of which can be quite stressful. This should help to clarify the reasons you are doing a dissertation and thus help ease some of the stress.
If you are about to write one, get this book, oh, and good luck!
on 11 February 2004
I have used this book constantly whilst thinking about my dissertation and when doing the write up. Very helpful, and very informative!
on 12 May 2009
It is tittled the best selling guide, and it is the best book I have come across while researching for my dissertation. It is helpful and not jargonistic it is an easy step by step book with help and examples throughout
on 6 August 2009
for the price this book is a bargain, i purchased it at a recommendation from the research methods for business book. On receiving it and having a browse I could see that it had short helpful information laid out in a step by step guide.

i am only doing the prep work for my dissertation but i can already see that this book is going to be a great help.
on 4 June 2003
This book is ideal for when you are first thinking about your dissertation. Unfortunely I panic bought it when I was doing the writing up, so it was unable to provide me with information that I didnt already know at that point. I will definitely pass it on to someone going into their final year as it is a good starting point.
on 26 January 2010
With literally hundreds of books available about dissertation writing I looked at quite a few and chose this one. It's clearly written and very easy to apply to your work. The book is realistic and does not suggest outrageous deadlines. I would recommend that you buy this a few months before you start your dissertation. It's generic so it doesn't matter what subject you are studying (I study journalism and it has worked well for me). Good luck!!