5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh african air.
Published on 3 Aug 2001 by Cynthia Cobban.(Ewencobban@aol...

3.0 out of 5 stars A personal story
If you are looking to understand the hunter-gatherer way of life, then you won't find it here. This is the rosy vision (perhaps not too rosy by the end of the book) of someone returning to the land of his birth. A reasonable read.
Published 17 months ago by Gordon Toumaniantz

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh african air., 3 Aug 2001
This review is from: The Healing Land: A Kalahari Journey (Hardcover)
I read The Healing Land with great delight. I felt that the author was carrying me with him into the desert, so that the wonder of these experiences with the Bushmen and the pain of the seemingly insurmountable difficulties with which they live, touched me very deeply. Rupert Isaacson's way with words is fresh and vibrant. The prose flowed in an easy relaxed manner. For anyone who wants to experience the Kalahari and its people, their past and possibilites for the future, their rituals and culture, all presented from a deeply personal perspective, please read this book. It is wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars I found this book entertaining and highly informative., 1 July 2001
Dennis S. Neff (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Healing Land: A Kalahari Journey (Hardcover)
This book was a present from my daughter so I did not know exactly what to expect. However, as is the case with all well written novels, once I begin reading, I couldn't put it down. The personal adventures of the author during his "quest" are interesting enough in themselves, however, as with all novels which I truly enjoy, I also recieved an education as to the plight of the "bushman" and, in fact, an explaination of the development of the highly fragmented society which exists in southern Africa today.
I also feel that the author does not let "enthusiam for a cause" run away with an honest and objective evaluation of all parties involved in the bitter struggle which inevitably follows countries, and peoples, trying to regain the rights and lands which were stripped from them by colonialism.
Upon completion of this book, I had the feeling that the "healing process" between the parties involved in any normalization process of this nature is more important than that of "winning or losing".
All in all, this was a thoroughly enjoyable and informative book which I would highly recommend to anyone who is interested in advancing their understanding of one of the oldest and most interesting cultures on our planet and of one of the most important issues of our time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A journey into the lives of the Kalahari Bushmen, 2 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Healing Land: A Kalahari Journey (Hardcover)
I bought this book expecting an interesting history on the Bushmen of the Kalahari and their plight and a geographical insight into the region. While there is no shortage of fact, both historical,political and geographical, The Healing Land is so much more than an informative read. It is personal journey and a mission, written with such skill that it takes you to the very heart of a proud people and their homeland. Rupert Isaacson brings it alive and makes it possible for the reader to see and hear the beauty of the wild landscape, the hunts, the dances, the wildlife and the tragic demise of tradition and the pain of a displaced people. I loved this book and truly could not put it down. I as disappointed when the journey was over, saddened that its ending had not been happier but moved by a driving need to to do something; if only to rush out and buy it for friends to share the knowledge that the book provides and the thought it provokes and mostly the passion that the author inspires. I would recommend it everyone..... (and their friends)

5.0 out of 5 stars magical, 4 April 2008
A great story, full of history and very balanced in its views of the bushman and their struggle. This is a very easy to read volume and makes a good companion to read if you are visiting Southern Africa. Full of insight into how things "work" or in fact dont interms of the bushman and their quest.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very informative, entertaining, honest book., 25 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Healing Land: A Kalahari Journey (Hardcover)
Mr.Isaacson not only touch my heart but also made me reconcider my own roots fastened hard in a whiteman's privledged world.I admire people who do what mr. Isascson has done, searching his roots and finding something other than the preconcieved notions and then reporting the truth. Most of us prefer the myths and go back to our confortable lives. This story is very sad from several perspectives but also infused with tremendous hope for a better future thanks to not only the author for reporting on the situation in South Africa but also those on the front lines risking their postion not to mention possibly their own lives. I personally am a cynic but this book moves me off center enough for me to re-evaluate my own power to effect change by not only seeing a problem but by pulling up a little courge to do something about it. It might get a bit better. I applaud the book for touching my soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book., 5 Nov 2013
Catherine Brown (Isle of Man, British Isles) - See all my reviews
A captivating read in so many ways and so many levels. The descriptions of the scenery and people are so vivid. It's a very atmospheric book and one I'll read again . It describes the plight of the Bushmen in a sensitive way and doesn't get bogged down in too much politics.

3.0 out of 5 stars A personal story, 29 Jun 2013
Gordon Toumaniantz (charente maritime,france) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 31 May 2013
Nico (Australia) - See all my reviews
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Always fantastic when you read a book about places you've visited and they are described pretty well as you remember them, just better than you could do yourself. Obviously in my travels I didn't develop the close association, affinity or understanding that Rupert Isaacson did with the Bushmen, That's what made this book so wonderful for me, it added a whole new dimension and completed the jigsaw for me. Finally I should add that the book is superbly sculptured, poignant, insightful, touching and ultimately hopeful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, 12 Feb 2013
It's a very interesting story, of shamanism in this part of Africa. Not a particularly well written book really but the story is an important one. I loved the Horse Boy by him too, Rupert is a great guy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different, 20 Feb 2012
A different and interesting book that highlights Shamanism amongst the Bushmen of the Kalahari Desert. It is well written and presented, but I found the family history and regional history. on accasion, a bit `dry`. I also still do not know why the author is `banned` from entering Botswana, a point I may have missed.However overall an interesting book sympathetically written.

The Healing Land: A Kalahari Journey
The Healing Land: A Kalahari Journey by Rupert Isaacson (Hardcover - 7 May 2001)
Used & New from: £0.86