Published on 5 Jun 2009 by Big Jim

3.0 out of 5 stars Clochemerle? Still very much the case!
Published on 18 Feb 2012 by Ripper38

5.0 out of 5 stars If you ever visit rural France, read this first. If you are not visiting France - read it anyway!, 5 Jun 2009
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Clochemerle (Paperback)
Ah Clochemerle. Possibly my favourite book of all time. I've re-read it about 6 or 7 times now most recently just finishing it yesterday and it never fails to amuse and impress me. Bearing in mind it was written in 1936 it is a bit "racy" and when you consider it was translated in the same year for British publication, I hate to think what the guardians of our morals thought in those days. It still stands up well to the test of time and it's just a shame the two follow up novels - inferior but still fun - are so hard to get hold off. Just while I'm mentioning translation, the translator in this case goes under the crazy name of Jocelyn Godefroi and he makes an excellent job of it. Everyone who takes it upon themselves to publish a novel in translation from French should look to this one and marvel at what a great job he(she?) does.

5.0 out of 5 stars farce in the french countryside, 23 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Clochemerle (Paperback)
This is a beautifully written tale, full of french passion, fight and flare..A small old fashioned country town consumed by a desire for their fruity wine and women but divided over a modern edifice..Recommended..

3.0 out of 5 stars Clochemerle? Still very much the case!, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Clochemerle (Paperback)
Excellent and oh, still how true! I 01st read Clochemerle when I was about 20, never dreaming I was to spend the major part of my adult life in France. Now for having lived for so long in Provincial France, and not too far away from Lyons and the Beaujolais region, I can better visualize the streets of Clochemerle; the summer heat; the Lime trees and Horse chestnut trees that line the streets and town square; the people and the village "intrigues" and all I have to say is human nature never changes!

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome chance to read this again, 27 Feb 2013
Michelle Scutt "Ariadne" (Azores, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clochemerle (Paperback)
I think that the version I read years ago must have been severely abridged, what a fantastic portrayal of small town rural France and French politics between the wars. I had no idea that it was so explicit, in the nicest possible way of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will make you smile, 26 Mar 2009
John McAllister (Belfast, N Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clochemerle (Paperback)
I remember the TV version and have been trying for years to get it on DVD - no joy. I decided to buy the book and it is a gem. Such a dry, witty style. It had me laughing out loud. Don't hesitate - buy it and enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonjour Ivresse, 25 July 2014
Charles Vasey (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Clochemerle (Paperback)
The massively successful product of a novelist famed for a Great War shocker ("Peur") Clochemerle is a beautifully observed account of a Beaujolais village at the community-level with some interesting observations on the sex lives of married couples. The events that cause the scandal are lovingly placed in the setting. In its observation I am reminded of the Croft and Perry TV series (like Dad's Army) where a distinct type is skewered exactly but always with the humanity to recognise their strengths as well as weaknesses. The 1972 BBC series was more Talbot Rothwell than Gabriel Chevallier with its Seventies Smut antenna working overtime; the text is much more nuanced however the casting of the series very much hit the target. I very much prefer the novel with its strong grip on village France. As Trenet wrote

Un petit village, un vieux clocher
Un paysage si bien caché
Et dans un nuage le cher visage
De mon passé

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly recomend., 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: Clochemerle (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely brilliant. I remembered it from the TV series - but the book it better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully Amusing, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Clochemerle (Kindle Edition)
A great classic comedy, translated brilliantly from the French. Very funny, The characters are well-drawn, so it's no wonder it was made into a successful film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice amusing comic novel, 22 Jan 2009
This review is from: Clochemerle (Paperback)
Fun to read, pleasurable tale of conflict in a french country town. Most English comic novels seem to be somewhat reactionary - think Tom Sharpe or Malcolm Bradbury. Maybe I'm just not picking up on the subtleties, because it's french, but this doesn't seem so to me. Politicians of the Left are lampooned as well as the Church and conservatives, but from the perspective of disappointment rather than raw cynicism.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Clochemerle (Kindle Edition)
pleasant story but no characters

Clochemerle: Complete & Unabridged
Clochemerle: Complete & Unabridged by Gabriel Chevallier (Audio Cassette - Aug 1995)
Out of stock