4.0 out of 5 stars Great for car tours!
Published on 15 Jun. 2011 by Whoopsy

3.0 out of 5 stars Car tours with walks for non drivers?
As with nearly every Sunflower guide (and I have used a few) the tours and walks are well described and the information given practical accurate and useful. I have yet to use this book in the field but previous guides I have used have always been up to date and I have never got lost whilst walking.

My only dissapointment with this guide is that on first...
Published 23 months ago by Matt

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for car tours!, 15 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Western Crete Walks and Car Tours (Landscapes Series) (Paperback)
We found this book to be very useful as this was our first trip to Crete and the car tours were easy to follow with the pullout map at the back of the book. We tried a couple of the walks, however the first one we tried (Walk 2) was a waste of time because we couldn't find the start! It might have been there when the book was written but it certainly isn't there now! The drive up to Theriso was lovely so not much of a wasted journey. We did hope to find some circular walks in the book but there are very few and we didn't like the sound of all the messing around at end of the walks trying to organise taxis or find a bus stop! I wouldn't really recommend this for walking unless you are prepared to organise your return trip at the end of the walks but it is a decent book for car tours.

4.0 out of 5 stars 6 ramblers go to Crete, 8 Jun. 2012
I purchased "Landscapes of Western Crete" by Sunflower Books following the decision to take 6 experienced ramblers to Crete on a walking holiday. The purchase was made several months ago and I now feel able to review the book following our holiday.
Firstly a little about our group. Six of us average age 69 and a little bit, includes 4 experienced leaders, all used to walking in the flat areas of South Essex. Two of us had been to Crete on several occasions but the other four had never been.
I took the opportunity to download the GPS data to use on two Garmin units that we would take with us. Walks were done in May 2012.
We walked walk numbers 11, part of 22, 24, 21, 6, 29 and part of 18.
Walk 11. Due to problems with one of our hire cars we made a late start and after 4.5 miles found ourselves in a massive hail storm and decided to turn back.
Second attempt was much more of a success. Walk was easy to follow from instructions given although I found it easy to follow the thin blue line on my GPS. At approx. 5miles decided to walk on the track rather than over the mountain (added about 1.2 miles to distance) and were rewarded by fantastic views to the West as we came through a mini gorge. At the 8 mile point of the original walk the track disappeared and we were on goat tracks which were sometimes tricky but well marked with cairns left by previous walkers and of course the thin blue line on the GPS. Verdict. 2 never again the rest of us fantastic.
Certainly learnt the meaning of the word "Taxing"
Part of walk 22 and walk 24. Initially we were going to get the boat from Hora Sfakion to Agia Roumeli but instead went only as far as Loutro. (A good decision as far as we were concerned). Walk was very easy to follow, with the sea one side and the mountains the other. We set off from Loutro in the direction of Agia Roumeli and walked for about an hour, had lunch and turned around to walk back to Hora Sfakion. Proved extremely difficult in places with recent rock falls. Verdict. probably not for our group.
Walk 21 Samaria Gorge. Hired a mini bus with driver to get us to and from the gorge.
Plenty of water at the bottom but a must do for any one who walks and goes to Crete. Verdict . Would all do it again.
Walk 6. I reversed this walk to make the distance to the lake longer than the return and used the GPS to take us all the way. Easy walk mainly on quiet roads and tracks with a great Sunday lunch overlooking the lake. Verdict. All would do it again.
Walk 29. Only four of us did this walk which although hilly for us was straight forward for us. Followed directions as far as Mourne where there was a difference between directions and my thin blue line. Followed the latter as could see that this would get us back. Verdict. Good for us would do again. (Directions would have taken us on different route through Mourne.)
Part of walk 18. Drove to Elafonisi (this was a day off) and walked for about one hour towards Paleohora had lunch and walked back. Verdict. Tricky for our group with some very sharp rocks would probably avoid in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to Western Crete, 14 Sept. 2011
Alina (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
I had a great holiday exploring Western Crete with the help of this guidebook. It is informative with a good selection of car tours and walks. I found the fold-out map at the back of the book very helpful as it shows all the island's tours and makes it easier to choose the area of your interest. I did most of the car tours and enjoyed all of them. The possibility to combine a car tour with a walk the book offers is very useful. The combination of the car tour N4 and walk N10 on the Akrotiri peninsula ehich I tried was very interesting. It was a short drive from Hania and a rather stenuous walk down to the sea and up, but there were some places of historical interest and wonderful views on the way, so it was a good day out. The description given in the book was detailed and the places were not difficult to find. I might recommend this guidebook to everyone wishing to get to know Western Crete.

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Gem, 28 April 2012
I've used these guides for many years now and they are clear and precise.The maps are easily understood but be prepared for an obstruction to appear on the ground or a path which has taken a new direction.The text is clear but just a little more historical information would suit me.Bus times tend to be fairly reliable despite the disclaimer by the authors.This book is a little gem to be used for armchair planning and later when you actually get down to doing the walks in this beautiful country.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Asset, 3 Nov. 2011
Just purchased this excellent guide (fourth I've acquired in the series) which is packed with great information. I find them particularly useful for walking in areas where mapping at the right scale is poor (or non-existent), which is particularly true for a lot of Greece. There is a wide range of walks, plus the background information and tips are very helpful in planning a trip & getting the most out of a holiday. I also appreciate being able to download GPS waypoints and information updates online - a very useful addition to this handy sized, helpful guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another impressive Sunflower Guide, 6 Jan. 2013
This was the fourth Sunflower Guide I have purchased for holidays around the Med. As with the others, I found the walks easy to follow and very useful for getting away from the main tourist traps. We also had the Cicerone Guide to Western Crete which included some of the same walks. I personally preferred the Sunflower Guide walk descriptions and maps to the Cicerone. These guides have become a must for all my holidays.

3.0 out of 5 stars Car tours with walks for non drivers?, 26 Jun. 2013

My only dissapointment with this guide is that on first reading nearly all the walks are from A to B rather than circular routes. Sure the book does describe where to get buses and taxis back to the start but it isnt as useful as having a well planned circular route back to the beginning.

A strange choice given that this book is clearly meant to provide not only for the walker but also the car driver.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 2 July 2013
Good travel book useful walks and drives illustrated, after using it for two weeks I have to say I prefer the Rethymno district to Chania any day

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely well-thumbed guide, 7 Jan. 2014
We have walked in Crete using the Sunflower guide for several years, and have completed a good number of the walks, particularly those around the south coast. We have always found the walk instructions to be clear and well laid out. Many of the walks use the E4 long distance path, which in places is not very well marked. The assistance of the guide makes the difference between getting to where we want to, and getting completely lost! Favourite walks are 22, Agia Roumeli to Loutro, and 23, Loutro and the Aradhena Gorge.

The inclusion of bus details and times is very helpful - it is completely possible, arguably better, to travel around Western Crete by foot, bus and ferry, rather than hiring a car.

Crete is a beautiful island with some superb, at times challenging walking, through amazing scenery. The Sunflower guide has helped us to explore many hidden corners of this beautiful island. Our copy is now extremely well thumbed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very few circular walks, 1 Dec. 2013
The book gets you to some beautiful places on the island but assumes in most cases (for the walks) that you are arriving and leaving on the local bus services. This means very few circular walks where you can arrive in your hire car and leave from the same spot.

Western Crete Walks and Car Tours (Landscapes Series)
Western Crete Walks and Car Tours (Landscapes Series) by Jonnie Godfrey and Elizabeth Karslake (Paperback - 15 Mar. 2011)
Used & New from: £7.98