5.0 out of 5 stars Ease into the undiscovered heart of Mallorca
Published on 12 April 2011 by Rodenplav64

1.0 out of 5 stars Only for word-lovers
We tried to use it - but dropped it. There are elaborate explanations such as "Cross the square and turn left at the Little red windmill", but there are a fundamental lack of precise maps.
Published 20 days ago by Jorgen Jepsen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ease into the undiscovered heart of Mallorca, 12 April 2011
This review is from: Mallorca Walks and Car Tours (Landscapes Series) (Paperback)
I first used this book on my own a few years back so I could venture away from the coast into something I always admired about Mallorca but had never seen other from a hire car - the mountains . Book in hand and slightly daunted I set off on walk 29 around the area of the Talaia de Alcudia and without getting lost once enjoyed a fantastic day of coastal views and fantastic walking . The following day it was up the Puig d'en Gallileu for tremendous views over Lluc monastery and the peaks of Massanella and Puig Tomir . Then for the road walk up to the Castle at Alaro ( a mistake as the way up from Orient is much better and a lot easier on the feet) and lunch at the fantastic Es Verger restaurant . That hit my legs and a couple of easy walks from the book followed . I finished of my trip with a visit to Santa Eugenia which and has a few lovely restaurants and is normally by passed on the way to the airport form Alcudia , Pollensa or Soller. The next year I persuaded my wife to join me and take up walking and we have never looked back and now enjoy walking in Mallorca so much . The walk along the Archdukes path from Valldemosa must be the most beautiful on the island even if the Teix is now out of bounds . Galatzo mountain in the area of Andratx also provides some excellent walking and stunning views . We tried Massanella ( the highest accessible ) and the book was spot on and easy to follow on what is a serious mountain but a heavy storm came out of nowhere and forced us down . I have since used this book in conjunction with the Cicerone Walking in Mallorca and Walk Mallorca by Charles Davis but for first time or apprehensive tourists aiming to breakaway from the well trodden I would recommend The Sunflower guide as the perfect door opener to a new Mallorcan experience . The directions and maps ( despite appearing sparse ) are easy to follow and I can say hand on heart that any mistakes were down to the user - or rather his wife - of course . Take it on holiday and enjoy more of the Island . You won't regret such a small outlay for the larger rewards it will bring .

5.0 out of 5 stars Best guide for walking in Majorca, 11 Aug. 2011
This is a wonderful guide to many great walks in Majorca. The maps and directions are clear and accurate, and there is a lot of useful advice e.g. public transport details for getting to the start and finish of the walks. The book is light and small enough to fit in a small bag or large pocket. It is also very easy to read and browse, enabling you to select and plan walks before leaving home. Best of all is the Update Service - an on-line tool that enables you to download and print a supplement detailing changes to the walks that have happened since the book was printed.

The car tours are also good and well described, pointing out features you might otherwise miss.

4.0 out of 5 stars Planning a walking holiday, 30 Nov. 2012
With the next holiday in mind, and the pleasurable anticipation of walking on an island that we've not visited before, we turned - as we usually do - to Sunflower Landscapes. This book in the series comes up to the high standard that we've come to expect and has been very helpful in enabling us to choose where we want to stay, so that we can easily reach the walks of our choice and areas for general sightseeing. The book is a mine of useful information, including the public transport timetables (even though there will be changes to those, without doubt) which allow non-circular walks to be undertaken fairly comfortably. It would be churlish to suggest that there is perhaps a little too much information to digest !! Fortunately we have some months to browse the book and check out the suggested walks.
My reservation with this book is that the detailed description of almost all the walks is very long. There is a lot of information to keep reading, often very carefully, when one is actually on the chosen path. Experience tells me that it is relatively easy to miss a vital statement about the path and then go wrong. I would prefer the maps to be at a walkers' scale of 1:25 000 rather than the 2 cms. per kilometre given in this book. They would then be easier to follow. That is perhaps an issue with the overall publication plan - given that these books seem to run to a standard of about 136 pages it would perhaps be difficult to provide more detailed maps. We shall certainly look to see what other mapping is available, but it probably wont be in such a neat and handy format !
In general, then, a Value for Money book that we're finding very useful in planning a holiday and that we believe will help us to have a good visit to the island.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good all rounder, 3 Jun. 2011
D. Povey "kadanenel" (london) - See all my reviews
this book was a good choice for those traveling around the island but not thinking of doing more specialised walking or hiking outings. The directions were clear and concise for both the car tours and walks. The book became battered along its spine and I think such a book would benefit from being spiral bound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trustworthy, 26 Aug. 2013
I used the guidebook in June 2010, mostly in appaling weather, and I chose Soller and Puerto de Soller as walking bases - this turned out to be a good choice: the bus service is good and the resort and village are really quiet. For about a decade now I buy the Sunflower books and compared to the Greek island ones this Mallorca guidebook is really accurate, also because the Spanish islands are way better signposted for walkers than Greece. I used this book together with the Charles Davis one and the German one (Rother) but I could have easily managed without those others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mallorca walks, 4 Nov. 2013
A friend recommended this guide book and she was right it great. We stayed in Soller and did not to hire a car. We bought this book for the Soller to Deia walk which was worth it for that one walk alone as the views of the surrounding countryside were amazing and made all the sweat worth it. We did set out early to avoid the heat of the day. We stopped for coffee at the beautiful hotel on route-a little more expensive than elsewhere but totally worth the few extra euros for the amazing view from their outside terrace. We took an opportunity to walk in their grounds which were fabulous-have booked mark the hotel if we return to Soller for our honeymoon. We also enjoyed a lovely walk from Lake Cuber back down to Soller in the book. We caught the first bus to Lake Cuber and then followed the path down the mountain side-glad we chose to walk down not up!! To walk up I would recommend setting out really, taking plenty if water and taking your time-not for people new to walking or those scared of heights. I would say the walk down only required a good pair of shoes and a small amount of cardiovascular fitness (having said that I did it in my crocs and did not even have one blister-a miracle!!
I look forward to using this walking book again especially if we return and hire a car which would enable some of the walks we could not do with public transport from Soller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to a very beautiful island, 31 Jan. 2013
Majorca is a truly beautiful island. Whilst it is famous for its beaches it has so much more to offer. This book will help you find it. The mountains, architecture, pretty little unspoilt towns and villages make it a paradise. The walks detailed in this book go from short easy strolls to walks that only experienced trekkers should undertake. A word of warning; I often find with Landscape walks that I lose myself - perhaps I'm unusually careless of the directions - so always give yourself plenty of time and follow the guides advice re equipment for each individual walk eg take water, hat compass etc. However even though I may get lost I still enjoy the opportunity of enjoying the remote beauty of this island. I should say I've always managed to find myself again without mishap , even if sometimes I simply have to retrace my steps back to the starting point :). The walks also come with fine maps giving contour lines and other details.

In addition the book has a map of the island, map of Palma. Outlines car tours throughout the island, suggests picnic sites, has bus timetables, describes some of the most interesting fauna and flora and has a small section offering useful Spanish phrases for walkers.

Writing this makes me wish I was going again but getting there isn't so easy with a dog!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mallorca : Car Tours and walks, 21 April 2012
As usual, this was an invaluable and accurate guide and we thoroughly enjoyed the walks and found them easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful books, not just for walkers, 12 Jan. 2013
I have been using these books for years but now we have small children we don't do many of the walks. However I used the Mallorca guide extensively on holiday, for the car tours and just in general when visiting places mentioned on the walks. They are a mine of information!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent touring book, 21 July 2012
I bought this book for a holiday in Mallorca having heard good things about the quality of the walking on the island. I had previously used the Sunflower Guide in Sardinia to get away from the crowds and explore the countryside and been very impressed. The Mallorca Guide is even better. A trip into the mountains with this book is a pleasure, with easy to follow directions in the walks making it easy to venture off the beaten tracks without fear. The variety of walk difficulty and length, combined with the touring guides, provide a perfect balance of lazy day and more strenuous activities.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Mallorca Walks and Car Tours (Landscapes Series)
Mallorca Walks and Car Tours (Landscapes Series) by Valerie Crespi-Green (Paperback - 15 July 2010)
Used & New from: £26.32