on 31 March 2009
Found the book very useful and did several of the walks using the local bus from the main Los Cristianos bus station as we had no hire car. We used the bus station website to check out times and bought a multi-ticket which was cheaper than individual journeys. Had no problem with finding the way. All the walks we did (about 4 over the course of a week) were excellent and we lent the book to some friends who used it on La Gomera. Have used the Sunflower books several times and they have never disappoinnted us.
on 30 May 2009
I am the happy owner of five Sunflower guides, but this is my favourite. A happy combination of perfect walking territory and a pleasant host in the form of Noel Roachford has meant that this book has been well thumbed on both my visits to La Gomera. The book has a good spread of walks all across La Gomera and as well as plenty of tempting photos and clear maps, it has enough detail to direct most anyone through the walk and onto their destination. As conditions on the ground can always change, one handy feature with Sunflower guides is the online update service where you can check if any recent users have posted comments or post them yourself.
on 15 October 2011
This is a really good travel guide for anyone planning to have an active holiday on Tenerife and La Gomera. It is ideal for those staying in the south of Tenerife as the car tours described in the book start from the main tourist resort of Playa de Las Americas. There also are many walks in the nearby area. I like the idea to combine two neighbouring islands in one book as it is easy to reach La Gomera from the port of Los Cristianos in Tenerife. The book is well-written, has plenty of useful information and clear descriptions of routes with detailed maps. I find Car Tour 1 to be the best option for the first-time visitors as it involves driving through different mountain ranges and let you enjoy the variety of landscapes on Tenerife. For those who love hiking I highly recommend the `Walks' section of the book. Walk 6 `Paisaje Lunar' and Walk 8 `Barranco de Masca' are among the most spectacular hikes on Tenerife. In addition, there is a wide choice of routes on La Gomera. This book definitely worth buying.
I have recently returned from a holiday on La Gomera and I have previously visited Tenerife a number of times with prime interest being walking, yet this guidebook embraces car tours and picnic opportunities as well as walks. `Landscapes of Southern Tenerife and La Gomera' covers most of Tenerife with 4 car tours, and virtually all La Gomera with 2 car tours, and it links these with picnic sites and suggestions for short walks. Tours are well described but focus is on the logistics, and though there is brief mention of places, history etc. it is advisable to seek more detailed information from tourist offices and hotels, and a better road map is advisable to the fold-out maps incorporated. I get the impression this guidebook is attempting to fit in too much and it is more of a `taster' to persuade holiday makers to seek further - and both islands have so much!

For the more hiking type walks there are 5 in the southern part of Tenerife and 12 throughout La Gomera. From limited and personal knowledge I can confirm the selection of routes embraces popular choices covered in other guidebooks plus extra tagged on, or given as ascent when descent could be desirable. Though a smaller number of routes are included the descriptions and information is quite detailed and perfectly adequate for car drivers to venture forth. Indeed the intention behind the small maps and photographs seems to be even further encouragement for holiday makers to venture deeper and deeper into the countryside and appreciate what is a walker's paradise. The text for each walk includes descriptions to the landscapes as well as details of the routes which are graded `easy' to `very strenuous', and though often there may be less severe alternatives these can be somewhat confusing. Overall distances and ascent/descent heights are stated and within the text it is largely times that are given for reaching specified points of the walk, yet it would be more useful to emphasise distances. Again there seems to be too much crammed in, and a simpler approach concentrating on just walks could have made the guidebook more straightforward. However it is an excellent `taster'.
on 22 July 2009
we have used sunflower guides on a number of holidays as they offer great flexibility whether you are intent on making the most of every minute of the holiday or prefer to laze about at the recommended picnic sites.

we have used this particular guide on both La Gomera and Tenerife. On La Gomera we followed the car tours before embarking on our walks. This proved very helpful as we experienced the La Gomera micro climate from the comfort of the car before braving it on foot!

As for Tenerife, the guide introduced us to a side of the island often overlooked. Not too far from the big resorts, there are beautiful walks, some very accessible, on the South of the Island.
on 10 December 2012
Bought this last year for holiday over xmas. Had been to Tenerife before but not armed with a Sunflower guide. It's small enough to be easily carried, but packed brimfull with information. Didn't make it to La Gomera, so can't comment on those parts of the book, but did a few of the walks.

Although the book (my version) is 2008, not much changes when you're walking....The walks are categorised into levels of difficulty - great if you're not very fit or don't feel up to a major hike on a particular day. The short walk suggestions and alternatives fit in even more options - I think I could use this book for the next five years if I went to Tenerife each year...

The total distance covered is given, but the stages within each walk are split up by time. eg "When you finally reach the bed of the barranco (2h) cross it" Some people criticise this saying it would be better to give distances, but the books are for experienced and inexperienced walkers - inexperienced walkers have no idea what 200m represents - particularly on hilly, winding routes.

The idea is that you can see how long the first stage took you, compare it to the book, and then you'll have a fairly accurate way of gauging the next part of the walk, and the whole walk. We're not super fit, and not experienced walkers, but did find the timings pretty accurate (though we made allowances when we stopped for a break or to look at things.)

This book provides you with all you need to discover some of the beauty and amazingly varied landscapes on Tenerife - for experienced walkers, inexperienced walkers and non-walkers :)

We didn't do any driving on this trip, but did take local buses to some of the places mentioned in the car tours section. (Make sure to pick up a recent bus timetable.)

The first time I went to Tenerife I stayed in Costa Adeje and ventured as far as Playa and Los Cristianos. The next time - a couple of excursions. The last time, with the help of this little book I discovered parts of the real Tenerife, saw stunning landscapes, found beautiful, picturesque, unspoilt villages, ate delicious lunches and met lovely local people. It's helped me be more independent, not just stick to the resort, and see the real Tenerife! And I'll be back, with my book another year!
on 7 October 2010
My wife and I have used the Sunflower walking guides for most of the walking holidays that we have been on in recent years. We have used this guide for both Tenerife and La Gomera and found it to be as helpful and easy to follow as all of the others that we have used. The slim format is particularly handy for carrying in the clear plastic guide carrier that I tend to use which allows it to be kept open at the right page without having to break the spine of the book! All of the walks have clearly been walked by the author and the driving tours are a bonus.
on 27 May 2009
A Sunflower guide is one of the first things to pack for an increasing number of holiday destinations and this is one of the best, a great way of seeing and learning more. Good maps, clear routes and covering all parts for, in my case, La Gomera. Recommended, but perhaps an odd pairing with Tenerife, perhaps El Hierro or La Palma would be better.
on 4 May 2009
Indispensable little book to enjoy walking in La Gomera (a walkers' paradise !...) : correct size and weight for the pocket ; rather detailed maps and information, good descriptions, pleasant pictures, and interesting details. As a french reader, I only regret most books of this collection are no longer translated in French...
on 25 October 2009
I have found all of the Sunflower guides which I have used excellent, if the style suits you. The walking sections are particularly good. Ideal if you have enough time on the island to make full use of it.