5.0 out of 5 stars Ibiza and Formentera

3.0 out of 5 stars Walking on Ibiza
Published on 14 Jun 2011 by Janet A

3.0 out of 5 stars Walking on Ibiza, 14 Jun 2011
This review is from: Ibiza & Formentera/3 (Landscapes) (Paperback)
This book is nicely laid out with good tours for car, bike and walking. However, since it was written in 2007, the paths for walking are grown over and sometimes the coastal paths are so eroded, they have collapsed into the sea. I dont think the Ibizans like people walking around their island as the waymarking is very old and often missing. Its a shame, as it is a lovely island.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Ibiza & Formentera/3 (Landscapes) (Paperback)
Having used Sunflower books successfully before to help us walk in different countries, we took this book with us on our recent trip to Ibiza (April 2012). We completed 5 walks during our short stay and did not complete one route as described in the book. Many of the "identifying features" you are asked to look out for have disappeared from the route and recent developments have destroyed or altered some tracks - particularly on coastal walks. I also found the maps to be a little small and am never happy about instructions which say "after about 10 minutes walking". Far better to give distances for experienced walkers to estimate.

Walk 13 is a good example. Instructed to leave the track by an old stone building after about 1.5 km, the old stone building was not found. I suspect that it has been developed into a small holiday home. We did "complete" the walk but found the paths to be overgrown and certainly lacking in blue markers. We checked this walk on the website on our return and found the latest review of that walk to be 2008. Incidentally other reviews found many of the instructions to be flawed. I think it is wise to remember that the revisions of the walks posted on that site are sent in by users of the book and not by the author or someone appointed by the Sunflower series.

My advice to anyone using this book is to read the "revisions" before leaving and to take a detailed map with you. Finally - it is worth persisting with the walks; the views you are rewarded with are stunning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ibiza and Formentera, 8 Aug 2010
This review is from: Ibiza & Formentera/3 (Landscapes) (Paperback)
I bought this book because I have already seen,and borrowed the 1989 edition,belonging to a friend.When I saw the new updated edition I was very keen to have a copy. Together with my husband,I have visited Ibiza on many occasions,we love walking and find this booklet so useful.It is a handy size to fit in the pocket and shows all the wonderful walks,cycle rides and tours possible on the two islands.The detail is great and you simply cannot get lost! It enables the visitor to explore the places that the tourist does not normally get to see,and most importantly states the difficulty or ease of the journey.We have completed some of the walks and cannot wait to do more on our next visit to Ibiza. It is an invaluable companion and I recommend it whole heartedly.I am sure others will find it as useful as we do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sunflower Landscapes - Ibiza and Formentera, 23 Sep 2010
This review is from: Ibiza & Formentera/3 (Landscapes) (Paperback)
I bought this book because I have eight others in the series already. As you can tell I am a fan and through experience know what to expect. This book is a convenient size, it makes it easy to decide which walk is suitable for you and select a walk of the correct duration and difficulty. If this is your first Landscape Book I would advise always starting with an easy walk to get to know the "code" eg Walk 17, it does very much depend what you are used to. There is also much useful general info and interesting car tours, although I often do them a bit at a time as a way to get to or from the walk or other location that I have been visiting. I note other reviews criticise the guide for landmark failings, this is true, due to both nature taking its course and humans changing things (eg I found a fence blocking my route om walk 9. For this reason always get the updates before you go - this is one of the really good features of the series. My biggest gripe with the book (as with all the others)are the maps. A bit more detail would enable you to be sure when you had gone wrong, I know there are copyright issues, but when walking I prefer map first, written instructions to amplyfy. Nonetheless I recommend this book to walkers, but not if you want a stroll in flip flops.

3.0 out of 5 stars Treading Carefully, 22 Jun 2010
This review is from: Ibiza & Formentera/3 (Landscapes) (Paperback)
The first impression you get on opening this book and flicking through, is that it is a very detailed, well thought out guide which caters for all needs, whether the user is on foot, cycling or planning to travel by hire car/public transport. The instructions for each of the walks appears to be very clear, whether it be detailing a particular stile or gate to negotiate or warning you of any slightly overgrown or obscure paths that you might otherwise miss. Having read the book at some length before travelling to Ibiza, I felt I was well prepared for any of these walks and felt confident enough to plan my days round various recommended routes.
However, I'm afraid that theory turned out to be somewhat different from the reality of being there and putting this guide into practice. On several occasions the instructions were perfect for a time, only for a path, turning or landmark to be suddenly conspicuous by its absence. Also, on occasion there was a degree of ambiguity surrounding some of the directions.For example, the book quite correctly warns you to be wary of paths/roads marked "Privado", however there were times when the recommended path was marked precisely that, and other times when the guide told you to ignore a particular fork in a path when actually that was the best route to take.
Over all though it would be harsh to be too critical of this guide because the writer can only give you knowledge that his experiences have taught him, and there is always an organic on-going change to any system of paths and walking routes. Ultimately, I would recommend this guide as a useful tool for getting a general feel for what to expect on your travels, but be wary of having too much faith in the total accuracy of the instructions for your chosen walk and make sure that you give yourself extra time for any unforseen backtracking or guesswork that you may have to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ibiza walks, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: Ibiza & Formentera/3 (Landscapes) (Paperback)
I bought this book for the walks, and found it very useful as we had no idea how to get around the island. It gave us ideas of where to walk although not all explanations were clear enough. Nevertheless we managed, and saw some really beautiful places which for sure we would not have seen, had we not had this handbook.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ibiza and Formentera, 11 Mar 2011
This review is from: Ibiza & Formentera/3 (Landscapes) (Paperback)
As expected from the Sunflower range, this book is a good guide to walks and cycling on the island backed up with excellent maps. The maps give a clue as to where the best bases are for a walking holiday. The update website facility means that you can keep abreast of route closures and possible obstacles or problems. An additional guide or web searches would be needed to discover cultural sights, nightlife or other entertainment as the Sunflower series focuses on the landscape.

Ibiza & Formentera/3 (Landscapes)
Ibiza & Formentera/3 (Landscapes) by Hans Losse (Paperback - 15 April 2007)
Used & New from: £12.85