5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully put together and written

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy as e-book
Published 19 months ago by termelnel

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully put together and written, 15 May 2013
Mr. Francis S. Beadle "Fateh" (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Journey into Mindfulness: Gentle ways to let go of stress and live in the moment (Paperback)
Since I have found this book, it is the first one I recommend to students when I teach mindfulness. What I love about it is that the combination of words and layout and imagery automatically invites one into a mindful space, to pause, drink in and savour. All the information necessary is expressed with the clear simplicity of someone who has been practicing and teaching for so many years that it is second nature. What is absent is an invitation to escape the challenge of mindfulness by retreating into an intellectual appreciation of it. The great contradiction about the explosion of books on this subject is that nobody ever became mindful by reading about it. Reading is only useful if it leads to actually doing the exercises. Many books, however well written, create a duality (division). One can read them fascinated and entranced... but when one comes to do the exercises the experience is such a contrast from reading the book that the two could be unrelated. This book is a great introduction and overview of mindfulness, from which the practice naturally flows. The calming and sensory awareness starts with the visual feast before you when you open the page, and is maintained by the flow of the text. Beautifully put together and written. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful journey into your inner self, 15 April 2013
A lovely book that is both a very useful guide into exercising mindfulness and a true inspiration for human beings in search of their inner balance and tranquility. I have attended mindfulness training to improve my mental and through it my physical health and I have been happy to find a compilation of my learning, with meditation exercises, case studies and explanations as to what goes on in our bodies and minds in this book. It inspires you and makes you long for mindful wisdom. Enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The theme of journeys, 19 May 2013
Journey into Mindfulness is a beautifully presented book. I received it as a gift and it certainly is. The clear conversational nature of Dr Collard's writing acts as an invitation to explore mindfulness in relation to your own journey and personal life experiences. I think I will be sharing this book with friends as I feel sure it would help others with their journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 30 Aug 2013
I can highly recommend this book, as it was discovered at a time when life felt rather out of kilter. Sit down with a nice mug of tea, read it slowly and then put the ideas into practise. I can truthfully say that I've noticed some definite (and positive) changes since considering and using these ideas of mindful living.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, a brilliant find!, 30 Aug 2014
I highly recommend this beautiful book to anyone interested in Mindfulness. I have purchased other books on the subject but this is the one that stays on my desk for constant referral. It is well laid out, an informative, accessible and enjoyable read. It can be read for pleasure and relaxation but also used as a tool and guide for developing meditation and reducing stress in your life. A gorgeous gift to give to any like-minded friends or an introduction to others new to Mindfulness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Book, 6 Nov 2013
I love this book. It is beautifully put together and you can dip into it as and when. There are so many help books on the market these days, but this one helped me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, Practical and Sumptuously Illustrated, 3 July 2013
Having acquired over a number of years a shelf or two of books on mindfulness, I've finally come across what I consider to be my 'go-to' manual on this important subject.

Initially drawn in by the captivating illustrations and photographs, I was nonetheless struck by the practical nature of this work by an experienced mindfulness educator and advocate. Living 'in the moment' is not as easy as it might seem on first glance; nor is it possible to glimpse the benefits in the sometimes mad, highly-charged world in which we live today. As Indra Nooyi, PepsiCo's fifth CEO in its 44-year history has remarked, "It takes great courage to live in the moment and look beyond it at the same time."

Dr Collard exhibits a deep understanding of the continued relevance of these centuries-old principles in today's modern world, and yet succeeds at communicating in a way that is simple and approachable. You will be up and running with your mastery of the present-moment perspective, and you'll no doubt be applying many of the exercises contained in this book, with confidence and on a regular basis.

If you live in a world tinged by stress, change, uncertainty and doubt, then this book deserves a place on YOUR shelf, too -- and not just sitting there looking pretty (which it does!); you deserve to apply these techniques and principles, starting TODAY.

Max Eames
Psychotherapist and author of UNDER THE HOOD

5.0 out of 5 stars Stress Relief from the First Page Turn, 3 May 2013
I find myself returning over and over to this book and becoming engrossed by new aspects of the content both written and visual. It is lovingly written and presented and provides the reader with simple yet powerful tools to relieve stress, gain insight and achieve greater levels of personal understanding. I think this will be an ongoing companion for me and essential for anyone interested in getting more in touch with themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mindful gift from a skilled mindfulness teacher, 2 May 2013
This accessible and beautifully illustrated book makes a lovely gift for friends and family; a `coffee table` book you can dip in and out of, a place to turn for tips when experiencing fear, anger, stress, low mood, illness or loss. The pictures themselves help to reduce stress, with ocean scenes, beaches and forests.
The author's vast experience and learning shine through the pages of this book and you feel as though she is making the journey with you, culminating in a touching personal note at the `journey's end.'
As a mindfulness teacher, I am grateful for the many quotes and original poems contained within this book that I can use to enrich my classes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy as e-book, 17 May 2013
This is the first time I have written a book review....I think the content is probably very good but I ordered on kindle fire and this book will not allow me to alter type size, etc so I am left to read miniscule print and I must say that it has put me off reading it. I SUPPOSE I could order a hard copy but I don't see why I should have to buy it twice. Avoid the hassle and buy it as a real book, not as an e-book.