on 9 December 2011
I found this book in the library and decided to give it a go. It is based on the Steiner Waldorf method which, frankly, I didn't know much about, so I found the introduction of the book very helpful. There, the authors explain the theory behind it and compare it with other theories such as Montessori. The following chapters are titled
Self
Imagination
Interaction
Discovery
Index
Further reading
Acknowledgement

Each chapter begins with an introduction which is followed by step by step instructions for toys that support this part of your child. The photos are very nice and the instructions clear and simple.

Personally, I am not the "crafty parent" and never liked soft dolls myself as a child, so the idea of knitting rabbits or making a felt horse doesn't appeal to me. Some ideas I really liked though, such as the doll sling or the swing for toys- I could see my toddler loving these and didn't have this idea before. Making "moving pictures" also seems a good idea and quite simple to make, and making a raft boat could be nice in the spring/summer.
All in all, not all the ideas appeal to me and I haven't looked enough into the Waldorf Steiner method to say if I like it or not, but I think one could enjoy this book without even really using this method. Have a look at your local library if they have this book and decide for yourself if it deserves a place on your book shelf! Definitely a good book to get some new ideas from.
on 13 July 2010
This book provides an excellent overview of Steiner Waldorf Early Years. It is clear and easy to understand, written by two authors knowledgeable in child development and Steiner Waldorf education.
The toys are delightful with simple "easy-to-follow" instructions. A gift to all those who care for little children and want to be creative with and for them.
on 9 May 2013
I am using this absolutely brilliant book to make toys for my grandchild. I love the simplicity and am finding the instructions easy and the toys, so far, are turning out really well. We are doing things together, such as collecting branches and sanding etc. Having lots of fun. The philosophy behind this is very interesting, and although I dont know much about Waldorf Steiner, I can relate to the thinking behind this.
on 4 August 2009
Very good book, with detailed information/images on how to do really nice toys for your children allowing them (and yourself!) to be creative.
Simple and very practical.
on 9 October 2014
Some good ideas
on 7 January 2011
Nothing new in this book: theories about kids and toys and play, and then few chapters with "ideas" of toys you're supposed to make for your kids. The best part are the very good looking pictures, but still doesn't worth the money.
on 13 October 2014
Lovely ideas
on 6 November 2010
This is a lovely book with good instructions for the toys and excellent photographs. However having looked into the Steiner Waldorf method I personally would steer well clear of the schools and teaching methods. The toys in this book however would be suitable for all young children.