Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 February 2012
I was so excited when this book arrived! There's so much information that I quickly skimmes through and then started reading through each chapter. It gives such a great insight into children's books. It also shows great feedback from children and their thoughts on a few stories. The artwork inside if beautiful and overall it's a wonderful read! A must have for anyone with a fondness for Children's Books or with a desire to become a Children's book Illustrator.
on 24 June 2013
Full of inspiring illustrations, an valuable collaboration exploring the interaction of words and images and how children respond to them. in this book and his others Martin Salisbury has been doing a great job of bringing children's picturebooks the appreciation they deserve as powerful formative influences for many of us and a medium that offers rich opportunities not readily found elsewhere.

I like the way the examples chosen are drawn from a spectrum that has classics that have sold hundreds of thousands at one end and hand-produced limited editions at the other. I also appreciate the different viewpoints here: the children's, artists', writer's, editors', publishers'.

I expected to enjoy the book, but have both enjoyed it and found it more useful than I anticipated. Thanks!
on 6 March 2012
I bought this book to aid my teaching as i deliver a unit on Narrative Illustration. It is divided into different sections which are small enough to read in one go and the visuals which go with each section are fantastic - it goes through the history of childrens illustration right through to artists work and publishers. I am also intrested in getting more work within illustration and this has given me alot of background knowledge on things i wanted to know personally not to mention huge ammounts of inspiration due to the amazing visuals. Great for students and teachers and anyone intrested in reading about Childrens Illustration.
on 15 February 2014
I ordered this book as I am studying Children's Literature at Uni, it's amazing - almost a picturebook in itself. Full of beautiful illustrations and very informative text on the history and modern take on picturebooks. Has lots of information I needed to help me with my essays.
on 14 March 2014
Hard to say why have not rated this a 5, but obviously had higher expectations of what it was to be. Is informative and substantial tome. Gives insight into range of picture-books. Preferred his book on illustration. That one is a 5!
on 14 February 2013
I recommend for people that want to enter in the children's illustration world and it's starting. Have e very complete work about all the matters concerning children's books illustration.
on 17 May 2014
The book is well researched and presented. There are many interesting illustrations and examples from books that might not be familiar to the general reader. The approach is mostly academic in style though it could go further into key theoretical aspects. The practical side to the book is intermediary.
on 9 November 2015
I enjoyed reading and found a great deal of information and food for thought in this book. It has great case studies and illustration examples which really bring t to life.
on 10 November 2015
I love this book. It is helping me with research for my own work and covers historical and contemporary styles of visual story telling. Has some beautiful examples.
on 23 March 2015
Useful information but seems quite drawn out. Gems of wisdom amongst loads of chat. But I'm not an expert, so this is my view as someone new to the subject.