on 9 June 2010
A friend who is studying photography at university sent me the advised reading list for her course. She said if you can only buy one book from the list buy this one.
I did and I'm delighted. The information is clear, informational and interesting and it is well illustrated with brilliant images from top photographers through history. The section on war is especially gripping (if a little graphic) and the author is not afraid to address sensitive subjects. in general it's a great reference and an informative history of the developement of photographic science. If photography is your interest your business or your passion then I would really recommend this book.
on 11 February 2011
A very thorough, clearly written book with excellent production values. A great overview for anyone interested in photography and its relationship to society.
on 23 June 2013
Enjoyable, well-written, well illustrated with some surprises, erudite though weak on technicalities (actually, ignores much of modern development. Nonetheless, highly recommended.
on 11 November 2013
I was borrowing this from the library at university, but decided I need my own copy. It's an excellent book that has so much information on the history of photography, and photographers, operating on every level of the medium, documentary, art, reportage, surrealist, abstract, modernist (however there is a lack of fashion). This book analyses photographers and photography in their cultural context referring to the time and place where they occur and in a way that is unpretentious, informative, and so easy to read. I've written two quite high scoring essays in my photography degree where this book helped to no end. I love it!!
on 29 February 2016
This book is 568 pages, I expected it to be big, but after finding it in my mailbox... Well, it's humongous, sizewise it's a very big book.

Obviously I have not read all of it, and I do not expect to do so in quite a while, because this book is f***ing huge.

I Intend to use it for future university studies, and for that purpose it most certainly is brilliant, it seems to cover most of the photograph's very large history, great source material.

Bought it for 10£, shipping included, much bang for buck.
on 4 July 2014
This large book is invaluable if you are studying photography at University level, which I am. It gives you an insight into photography over a vast period of time, and is written in detail, but in a clear and simple format, and opens your eyes to subjects you may never have thought to look at before. The balance between text and photography is good, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has a serious interest in photography.
on 7 March 2014
For those who want to expand their knowledge in the history of photography this is a great book do buy.
on 10 March 2013
If you like photography and you want to know a lot about it, this is the book to get. And it is offered at a bargained price too.
on 6 December 2011
One of the best photography book in its profile. It brings everything to light the cultural side of photography and with so much ilustrations.
on 12 October 2014
One of the "must have" books of the history of photography