Format: PaperbackChange

on 3 March 2011
I was almost put off buying this book. Thank goodness, I saw it in the public library and was able to borrow a copy which gave me an opportunity to check it out for myself. On reading the book, I could not believe it was the same one that had received such negative reviews as I am still unsuccessfully looking out for the egotistic or arty guff referred to. In my copy, all I see are numerous pages containing clear photographic images and diagrams demonstrating the various printmaking techniques and processes, and accompanied by informative and intelligent, understandable text. All this with the addition of interesting artists' profiles, working methods and valuable pages at the back of the book on how to overcome some of the problems one encounters in printmaking. The authors, as tutors and printmakers themselves, obviously "know their stuff" and have crammed this book with their vast knowledge and understanding of the art of printmaking - surely something which should not be denigrated. I'm just an ordinary struggling artist that was looking for printmaking inspiration to free me from a creative block. This book did it for me. It truly inspired me to try out other techniques and to experiment and I am so happy I bought it. (Amazon currently provides a "look inside" facility, but without the illustrations it unfortunately doesn't do the book justice). So, please, don't be put off buying it like I almost was. The price is extremely favourable for a book that contains 240 interesting, informative and inspiring pages and well worth the money. I, for one, shall be dipping into it many times in future.

.......Oh, and British Govt. please note - despite Amazon's great site we still need our public libraries too!!
22 comments49 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2012
I ordered the book as I am studying print as part of my degree in graphic design. This book has been so useful to me. It covers all the different techniques and variations. It is a very practical book, easy to use, lots of information, excellent resource which is presented in a logical and clear way.

I am really pleased I got this book, I am still using it now and will continue to do so.
on 25 May 2012
This is a substantial piece of work with a huge amount to offer. There's always a compromise between achieving good coverage of the subject and publishing a book that the punters can afford to buy (and can lift), and this is pretty well the best that I've found so far. You will be quite an experienced and confident printmaker before you need to look for other (more specialised) volumes. As this is written there are second-hand copies knocking about for not much more than ten quid: a steal.
on 3 June 2014
This book is one of the best I've read for solid advice and information about printmaking. It gives sensible advice on intaglio and relief printmaking among others and is an inspiration for anyone interested in making a print. There is no old page filling waffle that I've found in some other books on the subject. You get all you need to set you on the right path to successful printmaking at a level that is achievable and sustainable.
on 4 February 2012
I wouldn't usually write a review but I feel some of the other reviewers have done this book an injustice. I teach art and have found this book very useful. It goes through the various printing processes (Mezzotint, Intaglio, Screen etc.) explaining how they work with visual examples and providing exemplar expert practitioners. Perhaps it helps to have some previous knowledge because I have had no regrets about buying it.
on 16 July 2013
Really enjoyed this book, lots of information and photos of each of the methods of printmaking as well as studio pictures/equipment/tools other artists work and profiles. I keep going back to this book time and time again as there are so many different aspects of printmaking. I really like the monotype section as this isnt always covered.
on 8 December 2013
an easy to read, comprehensive guide to all print process. A diverse range of artists work provides inspiration and ideas of ways to work. all very visually presented.
Excellent summaries for problem solving and best practice. I can see this becoming an invaluable source in the print room.
on 15 February 2013
Beautifully illustrated, this book has inspired me to try new techniques, its guides are easy to follow and there are some fantastic examples of work to see. I took this into college to show my fine art tutor who said that he thought it extremely useful and is going to order a copy for his students.
on 11 July 2014
This is a great primer on professional practice- really aimed at the specialist and very thorough- I was looking for some inspiration to help at a basic level- teaching in school- so it was not quite as useful for my purposes as I don't have access to the equipment or studios.
on 31 August 2009
An excellent book for both the professional printer and the amateur. I will be dipping into this reference mnay times. It also inspires you to try out new techniques and to experiment.It appeals on several levels and is both up to date and very informative.
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse