on 26 June 2009
I have been teaching Illustrator and Photoshop to fashion and textile designers for a number of years. Over that time I have constantly scoured Amazon for good books on using Photoshop/Illustrator for fashion and textile design. There are very few. Kevin Tallons, Creative Computer Fashion Design with Illustrator book is one. Marianne Centner and Frances Vereker Adobe Illustrator: A Fashion Designer's Handbook is another useful book that I refer to. Now I have found another essential book. Digital Textile Design has the right blend of technical skills using Photoshop and Illustrator. As well as an inform industry knowledge.
It is not a beginners guide to Photoshop and Illustrator but does show how to use those programs for textile design.
An excellent book!!
on 20 May 2009
This brilliant book shows us how CAD has changed the face of textile design in such an interesting and challenging way. The book is full of stunning images, showing unique design ideas, which should help and inspire any textile student or practicing designer. The tutorials are clear and easy to follow, and the author has been careful to include good case studies. I particularly like the inclusion of design work which maintains a 'craft' aesthetic. This really is a must for all fashion and textile students and professionals.

Rebecca Earley
Designer and Reader, Chelsea, and Associate Director of the Textiles Futures Research Group, UAL, London.
on 13 October 2009
I have just recieved this book last week and there are some really helpful tutorials to get you going and get inspired. The great thing is that you can achieve the photoshop effects in photoshop elements to some extent so I thought it would be helpful to mention this. (seeing as elements is a damn sight cheaper than the full blown photoshop suite). I have illustrator cs2 and photoshop elements 6 and I am going to have endless design fun. Great for students and designers. Buy it!!!
on 22 November 2011
Used this book a lot during my time at university and was a complete lifesaver. Easy to follow guides and lots of great suggestions and ideas. Gives you a basic overview of the different functions of Photoshop leaving you able to use them in your own way for the work you are doing. It's so helpful! If you're doing any kind of CAD work it's like a bible! Even now I've left uni I still use it and I'm glad to know I'll always have it. There are so many different aspects to Photoshop it's so easy to forget some of them so having them all in one book is great. Shows you how do create repeats, make shapes, blend objects, drape and loads more. It's brilliant. Great buy!
on 19 May 2012
I attended a great course that one of the authors (Melanie) gave at the V&A on digital fabric design and bought this book to learn more. The screen shots showing you exactly what to do are excellent. Highly recommend this if you want to design your own fabric.
on 30 October 2012
I study printed textile design and this book is great for teaching shortcuts and providing inspiration for new ways to do things. I already use Photoshop a lot, but often find I just use the same techniques to create designs. This book is great as it not only has lots of examples of digital textiles to inspire you, but also shows you in very detailed steps how to use different techniques. It also has some sections on fashion illustration, so I think it would be useful for illustrators, fashion designers, or anyone else who wants to get a bit better at using photoshop, or start learning how to use it. Highly recommended.
A very interesting and inspiring book. The book gives clear guidance on how to do certain things in Photoshop and Textile Design and have plenty of examples although I would not say that it was a stand-alone resource book as there is quite a lot to learn about the software but certainly a great start for anyone just getting into digital textile design. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 17 January 2012
This is a great book. I learned textile design and printing the traditional way at art college many years ago. This is a terrific book for learning about the digital side of the business today. A must for any Textile Designer today.
Received promptly in excellent condition.
on 5 August 2009
Bought this book a few weeks ago based on previous reviews and I must agree with what has been said. I've been considering taking up textile design and have been looking for a book to get me started on preparing a portfolio. This book has done that and more. It has shown me the possibilities of Adobe Illustrator and photoshop in terms of creating textile designs. I even test out the few designs I've managed to create in the Sims 3 and it always looks good (well that's another thing). Whether I go on to take the course or not (I'm an accountant and asking myself if I really want to change direction), this book has taught me far more than I could have expected. I'm glad I bought it and hope that I will one day go on to do what I've always loved to do - DESIGN. Highly recommended.
on 9 February 2010
If you are having trouble trying to figure out repeat patterns in Illustrator and photoshop get this book!!! It has helped me so much. If you do digital textiles this book is beyond helpful. I'm so excited about knowing how to do the things i have been stuck with. SO GOOD.