5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
Published on 20 Jan 2008 by shouler

3.0 out of 5 stars How about reading your own book, Mr Author?
Published on 11 Dec 2007 by Mats Nilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 20 Jan 2008
This review is from: Book Design (Portfolio) (Paperback)
I have to disagree with the previous reviewer. This is the most comprehensive and easily interpreted book I have read on the subject. It covers the entire process - from asking what a book actually is - through the organization of information - to shrink wrapping. It also unravels the mystery and philosophy behind various grid systems and has generally answered many questions I have had for years to which I've never really found straight-forward answers. And, unlike some books on Design, it has been designed extremely well with an excellent balance between text and image, diagrams and photography. Fantastic stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Design, 1 Feb 2009
This review is from: Book Design (Portfolio) (Paperback)
As always Andrew Haslam can be depended on to provide an in-depth historical survey of his subject. This particular book promises all that it claims on the cover - Comprehensive, practical, essential resource for students and designers, with carefully structured text and illustrations. A great book that should be part of every young designers library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 15 Nov 2009
Can Burak Bizer (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Book Design (Portfolio) (Paperback)
Andrew Haslam looks like managed a book for a wide audience - from beginners to professionals. This is the most comprehensive, organized and well presented book I've seen on the subject - and the only piece on that topic in my library. I saw it as an investment, because I really didn't want to miss in case it goes out of print some day. To me, it is a perfect reference book on Book Design and covers all major issues in necessary depth. I also had the priviledge to meet the author Andrew Haslam in person and I should confess that the book only reflect a small part of his knowledge and genious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who'd have thought there was so much to book design..., 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Book Design (Portfolio) (Paperback)
If you are looking for one easy-to-read, but thorough, summary of the multivarious aspects of book design, from the organisation of units on the page (golden section, rule of thirds etc etc), to the various fonts that are used, this is for you. I must admit, I had no idea how complicated was the task of putting together a beautiful book. I had thought it very much a question of binding. I now realise how much it is a consequence of an holistic design approach which conjures skills and judgement that are aesthetic, even mathematical. Good, clear, quite demanding, satisfying ... an excellent introduction I would say.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd read this earlier, 4 Dec 2011
Marko P. Joensuu (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Book Design (Portfolio) (Paperback)
I fell into book editing and publishing nearly accidentally ten years ago and I wish this book would have been available then. This book is very compact but manages to cover all aspects of design pretty exhaustively. There is a lot of industry jargon that you can't fully understand unless you put the book in the context of history and Andrew Haslam does that brilliantly. For book editor this is very useful as it helps to understand the decisions the designer has to make. The book provides a pretty exhaustive checklist for any book project. I hope that the next edition will cover all the new developments in technology.

3.0 out of 5 stars How about reading your own book, Mr Author?, 11 Dec 2007
Mats Nilson (Sorsele, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Book Design (Portfolio) (Paperback)
This may well be the definitive book on book design. Trouble is..I don't know. And that's because the design of this book stands between me and the good information I'm quite sure is in there somewhere, had I only bothered to look. This book is certainly very slick and it screams 'DESIGN' at you, but it seems to forget the basic No 1. Book design isn't there for itself, but as an aid to convey a book's content to the reader - and hopefully in a rather more painless way than in this book..

Book Design (Portfolio)
Book Design (Portfolio) by Andrew Haslam (Paperback - 13 Nov 2006)
Used & New from: £171.79