5.0 out of 5 stars Typographers bible
This book examines the history, evolution and mechanics of typography in a clear, concise manner. It can be dipped into very easily for specific information and is full of illustrated examples to clarify points made in each section. As a reference book it should provide help for all levels and I'm sure that my copy will become a well thumbed addition to my library...
Published on 30 Aug 2002 by R. Shaikh

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as comprehensive or detailed as I hoped
This book is nicely produced, but I found the content a bit lacking in substance. Having just read Ruari McLean's Typography, written almost a quarter of a century ago, I was looking for something that was more advanced, Type & Typography is simply not it. Too much space is wasted on large colour pages that add little, the historical dimension is weak.
Published on 25 July 2003 by Ricardo

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as comprehensive or detailed as I hoped, 25 July 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Typographers bible, 30 Aug 2002
R. Shaikh "presstoeject" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Type and Typography (Paperback)
I have not read the whole book yet, at over 180 pages it can be alot to take in, but the chapters I have read are exhaustive and put typography into context. An example of this can be found early on with a definition of the term, followed by further investigation into function and form, where the alphabet is deconstructed and explained.
As a teacher I am sure that I will use this book in many instances and adapt the information for my own uses. If you are at all interested in type or design this book will not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and educational book, 23 Sep 2003
This review is from: Type and Typography (Paperback)
Written by lecturers at Central St Martin's College in London, this is a great book - they know their stuff. It is a fusion of great design and layout combined with the technical nitty gritty and history of type. All really interesting for those of us who are interested in type and typography. I would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have-book on Type & Typography, 15 Nov 2009
Can Burak Bizer (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Type and Typography (Portfolio) (Paperback)
A complete handbook about type and typography - as the title indicates. All major areas seem to be covered precisely and presented clearly. To me, it's one of the rare of its kind must have reference books in my pesonal library. I think the audience would be from beginners to professionals. It's definitely a great start to typography but also a good reference as you advance with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: Type and Typography (Portfolio) (Paperback)
really good for graphic design students, wish i has this in first year. would be a good christmas present considering the time of year

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended by University, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Type and Typography (Portfolio) (Paperback)
This was recommended reading by my daughter's faculty for her art course. As it was recommended by her university, I presume it is OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful practical book, 10 Jun 2007
This review is from: Type and Typography (Portfolio) (Paperback)
The first edition of this book was one of the first typography books I purchased and I still refer to it on a regular basis. Since type became democratized it has been easy to experiment, often to the detriment of clarity and it is sometimes easy to forget that it is, foremost, a communication tool. The layout is inspiring but never gets in the way of the subject and, unlike many books on the subject, this actually has an alphabetical list of typographical conventions (eg - when to use a mid-point as opposed to a full point) which is a godsend when you are out of college and trying to convince an employer that you really know your subject. A fantastic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Sep 2014
Great book!

Type and Typography (Portfolio)
Type and Typography (Portfolio) by Andrew Haslam (Paperback - 17 Oct 2005)
Used & New from: £13.99