5.0 out of 5 stars realistic plan
Published on 15 May 2011 by M. Tracie Webb

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a great experience
Published 1 month ago by KJA

5.0 out of 5 stars realistic plan, 15 May 2011
This review is from: Clean & Lean Flat Tummy Fast!: The healthy way to a totally toned tummy in 14 days (Paperback)
I like this book. It looks good (I know, I'm so shallow but I do pay more attention if something looks good) and is realistic and achievable. The eating 'rules' are easy enough to follow and the exercise is realistic - nobody is going to sign up for 45 minutes of cardio and half an hour's weight training 5 days a week but this is something that most people can fit in to their lives without too much trouble. This has a 14 day plan to kick start your new regime and then a maintenance section. It also has a 6 day plan for fast results which he admits is boring and extremely hard work but a lot of models use it as a quick blast prior to a bikini shoot. The whole book is written as though the reader is an intelligent person, living a normal life. You are told why the rules exist and also allowed a cheat meal each week (once you've achieved the tummy you want) but the author also accepts that you are human and says that you should follow the rules as much as you can. I bought this book because having hit the grand old age of 43 I find that I can't eat what ever I want anymore. I'm still slim (size 10) but there are pockets of fat that I'm sure never used to be there so I started trying some of these 'fitness and nutrition' books. None of the others have suited me - silly rules like "no carbs after 6pm cos that's the way celebrities eat", fitness plans that build up to running for an hour 3 times a week and then coming home to do resistance training etc. I can follow this (been doing it for a week and seen a difference) and it appears healthy and reasonable. I fully recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and well explained read, 9 May 2014
I bought this as I already have the cookbook. Very interesting and well explained but some repetition. The extreme diet to get a flat tummy is very restrictive, I'd say only those already used to barely eating could follow it, it doesn't give me enough energy to carry on with my usual gym routine so I didn't stick to it. Good for ideas on target exercises, depending on the different reasons for your tummy. If you're choosing, I prefer the clean and lean cookbook.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a great experience, 19 Mar. 2015
I bought this book and yes it does work, but the amount you are eating is wrong, one typical day seemed the add up to below 900 calories and I have read the same on a few other blogs. I found it hard sticking to white meats with nothing on them except some green veg. Anyone can lose weight on this diet as you are burning calories on top of not eating enough. The fact you need suppliments isn't something I agree with either. I have managed to get to day 4 but I cannot function properly at work, I feel dizzy and sick. So just beware, I had all the best intentions with this book but it just isn't doable alongside working life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! Only a few dislikes., 3 Jun. 2011
This book gives great advice. Though I am far away from getting a flatter tummy, I am on track. However, I am not following it exactly! I am doing all the exercises, however I work from 8 to 5 in a very active job so I am not doing as many (for example the morning cardio). I am also not following the diet, as I want to take a bit longer over losing weight, as my job is physically demanding and losing much weight over a short time isn't very good for you. I can't eat as much as the table says to as I don't stop until 12 for lunch then I am off again (which is 6 small meals a day consisting of vedg and protine), also I can't go without carbohydrates. I do however still stick to the "clean" part. As much organic as possible and cut out as much unneeded fat as possible. I also follow other advice he gives like eat brown rice, bread, pasta ect never white. I make sure I sleep at least 7 hours a night and all that jazz!

Now for the annoyances. First is the fact he uses his own "Bodism" stuff in this diet plan. This is very annoying for someone who would want to follow the plan exactly and will probably need to! For example there is fiber supplement, this is needed as there is almost none in the diet plan! But its expencive, very expencive and most others have too much sugar/fat in them.

Second is his obsession about sugar. White sugar, like bread ect, is much worse for you. HOWEVER your body still needs any kind of sugar! This "anything ending in -ose is bad" thing is terribly worrying. Fructose for example is found in all fruit. Added sugar is bad, but don't cut it out completly! I still have half a teaspoon of brown (unrefined) sugar in my one cup of tea with skimmed milk in the morning which is pretty much the only "added" kind I have and I am still losing weight off my tummy. Its important to your body!

Third this "cheat meal" he has is fine, but you can actually have a little more than one cheat a week as long as its small and not very often. However keep an eye on it! You could lose your way completly and start craving the treats too much!

Fourth, there is no mention of toxins from makeup, skin, body and hair care products ect The amount of toxins in them can be fanominal! Esspecially things that are absorbed into your skin. Not that you should avoid them, just be careful and keep in mind they still have many in! "Naural" makeup ect is best if you want to try and avoid them! But it is a diet fixated book so it isn't too bad, and he does cater for models so no wonder he doesn't mention them!

I would also recommend "Thin Thighs in 30 Days" as a companion, I am also using this book and they go very very well together!

Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars books, 13 April 2013
good book with lots of information to get that flat tum well worth the but would reccommend good value for money

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommend!!, 22 April 2014
Enjoyed reading all the tips and tricks the book had to offer. However Ive found it hard to sustain such an intense diet plan and found meal options to be limited. Would recommend if looking for a quick fix diet!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good!!!!, 22 July 2014
I found this book very good and easy to understand, some diet books confuse me but this was very interesting and James Duigan knows what your thinking about. He makes it very easy and quick to understand how the body works and what you need to do about your weight and the best way to get your mind thinking about what you eat, very cleaver man. Yes I will be using this diet the recipes are very nice my mouth was watering just reading them. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

3.0 out of 5 stars No use to vegetarians, 9 Feb. 2014
H. Atkins (Harrogate, North Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this whilst it was on offer for 99p and would not have paid the normal price for it but thought it was worth a look for that price.

I haven't seen anything in here that I haven't read elsewhere and as another reviewer pointed out some of this has been superseded by more recent research. That said, it mostly seems sensible advice and is worth a try for anyone who needs to get their diet under control.

There is a section with strict meal plans to follow but there are no vegetarian alternatives and you are also required the use special products that the author sells. Thus attempting to put any of this into practice in the way described is out of the question.

3.0 out of 5 stars Flat tummies please!, 18 May 2011
Flat Tummy Fast gives a good overview of exactly what to do and what to eat to lose weight around your middle. The book reads very quickly and is more photographs than content, but if you're not into in-depth scientific explanations, then this is the guide for you. Personally, I would have liked more text. I like that he doesn't go crazy with the exercise - the focus is on your diet. As far as the advice goes, James emphasizes the harmfulness of sugar which was a wake-up call I really needed. But eating steamed mackerel for breakfast? No thanks. I was also disappointed that the menu in the book doesn't have any carbs, so it's essentially only meat and vegetables. My final complaint is that James recommends his bodyism powders and supplements, but they cost £60 a pop on his website :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good diet, 3 Sept. 2011
V. Simpson "tori" (uk) - See all my reviews
I love this book its really makes sense, i think its a lifestyle change not a diet. My tummy hasn't been this flat for years and the pounds are coming of thick and fast like never before after years of trying. I had orginally borrowed it from the library and liked it so much I brought it.