Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 January 2009
Not just a cookbook, this wonderful book describes how to carve various joints and roasts efficiently and correctly and does this very clearly. The pictures are mouthwateringly delicious, the text entertainingly written, and the recipes are easy to follow and all worth a try. I can hardly wait!

The recipes are not just a re-run of old-fashioned ones that we have seen before but it is such a joy to read proper wholesome recipes using honest ingredients as opposed to the fancy ingredient-laden style of many writers.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys cooking and appreciates the merit of properly roasted and cooked meat. You will be inspired.
on 31 March 2003
This is a really excellent cook-book, which gets you away from all the Nigella/Jamie "organic thrush's tongue and mango souffle glazed with black truffle oil" stuff and tells you how to cook traditional food really well. We use it most weeks, not only for "how to roast it" but also for tips on carving and what to do with the left-overs (some brilliant recipes). Authoritative, informative, delicious.
22 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2013
I gave this book 5 stars because i have never once gone wrong with it.
I am a basic cooker, but find that I have made some great roasts with the help of this book.
Cant go wrong here
on 9 December 2009
An excellent book for the beginner, bought for a young lady who come over here from the US to live and could not do a "British" roast dinner. She loves this book!
on 4 October 2006
This is a really interesting and well written book. Johnny Scott, voice of the countryside and food historian is an absolute joy to read. You feel as though you are in safe hands, cushioned against making some terrible mess of a lovely piece of meat. Carving is becoming more and more of a lost skill, we are lucky there are still people around who care! Finally i can get my friends round for a proper roast, safe in the knowledge that JS's wisdom is in the bookshelf - thank you!
on 6 April 2016
This is not a very useful book in my opinion. There are only a few recipes for beef that are worthwhile. There isn't much call for rolled tongue, so I don't think it's very useful for modern households. There are a lot of nice recipes for lamb and pork, so that was useful, but an overabundance of information regarding bone and antler-handled carving knives. I think this is one for the upper classes...There were also no recipes for side dishes, like roasties or Yorkshire pudding, which would have helped. Just meat.
on 13 October 2015
I have cooked more roast dinners than I care to think about, however, this book encourages you to raise your game and do something a little bit different than just shoving the meat in the oven. I particularly appreciated the step by step instruction on how to carve the joint and thus getting the best cuts and making the most of the joint. This is a no nonsense no frills book and one that I wish had bought years ago when I was starting out on my culinary journey!
on 5 October 2006
I actually bought this book for my Dad who loves Johnny Scott's fantastic witty writing style. However it never even got to the wrapping stage. I love the fact that he is keeping a tradition alive. My boyfriend and I have cooked for all my friends and he is very proud to show off his new found skills. The cooking section is very good but very same same as other books. What makes the book more special and worth buying is the personable and charming of Johnny Scott. Thankyou very much
on 21 December 2011
Although this is a nice book and well presented, I am unsure just how many of the recipes I would actually do at home. Clarissa and Johnny's style are amusing and very interesting. Think that if I had paid full price I would have been disappointed.
on 8 January 2015
A very interesting and useful book. Simple, easy to follow well tried and tested recipes, full of lovely warming and comforting meals. God Bless the late Clarissa who is greatly missed by all who knew her.