5.0 out of 5 stars Mouthwatering inspiration
Not just a cookbook, this wonderful book describes how to carve various joints and roasts efficiently and correctly and does this very clearly. The pictures are mouthwateringly delicious, the text entertainingly written, and the recipes are easy to follow and all worth a try. I can hardly wait!

The recipes are not just a re-run of old-fashioned ones that we...
Published on 29 Jan. 2009 by A. S. Gilbert

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure I would bother again
Although this is a nice book and well presented, I am unsure just how many of the recipes I would actually do at home. Clarissa and Johnny's style are amusing and very interesting. Think that if I had paid full price I would have been disappointed.
Published on 21 Dec. 2011 by David

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouthwatering inspiration, 29 Jan. 2009
A. S. Gilbert (Nottingham) - See all my reviews

The recipes are not just a re-run of old-fashioned ones that we have seen before but it is such a joy to read proper wholesome recipes using honest ingredients as opposed to the fancy ingredient-laden style of many writers.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys cooking and appreciates the merit of properly roasted and cooked meat. You will be inspired.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically useful, 31 Mar. 2003
Tom (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a really excellent cook-book, which gets you away from all the Nigella/Jamie "organic thrush's tongue and mango souffle glazed with black truffle oil" stuff and tells you how to cook traditional food really well. We use it most weeks, not only for "how to roast it" but also for tips on carving and what to do with the left-overs (some brilliant recipes). Authoritative, informative, delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the beginner, 9 Dec. 2009
Andrew Horn (Kent UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent book for the beginner, bought for a young lady who come over here from the US to live and could not do a "British" roast dinner. She loves this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible!, 24 Jan. 2013
I gave this book 5 stars because i have never once gone wrong with it.
I am a basic cooker, but find that I have made some great roasts with the help of this book.
Cant go wrong here

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe hands, 4 Oct. 2006
This is a really interesting and well written book. Johnny Scott, voice of the countryside and food historian is an absolute joy to read. You feel as though you are in safe hands, cushioned against making some terrible mess of a lovely piece of meat. Carving is becoming more and more of a lost skill, we are lucky there are still people around who care! Finally i can get my friends round for a proper roast, safe in the knowledge that JS's wisdom is in the bookshelf - thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous carving, 5 Oct. 2006
I actually bought this book for my Dad who loves Johnny Scott's fantastic witty writing style. However it never even got to the wrapping stage. I love the fact that he is keeping a tradition alive. My boyfriend and I have cooked for all my friends and he is very proud to show off his new found skills. The cooking section is very good but very same same as other books. What makes the book more special and worth buying is the personable and charming of Johnny Scott. Thankyou very much

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure I would bother again, 21 Dec. 2011
David (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunday Roast: The complete guide to cooking and carving (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarissa does it again! A super book full of simple but heartwarming recipes, 8 Jan. 2015
A very interesting and useful book. Simple, easy to follow well tried and tested recipes, full of lovely warming and comforting meals. God Bless the late Clarissa who is greatly missed by all who knew her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you hungry, 31 May 2013
I bought this book both for myself and for a good friend. The great photos together with the text makes it a useful book for the kitchen as well as a for a leasurely read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 2 Oct. 2006
What a great book, as an urban dweller who dreams of country life, it is a wonderful evocation of traditional countryside life and custom. Johnny Scott has to be the Jack Hargreaves for the modern generation. Not sure why he should be attached to C.D.W.... He stands shoulders above. Give this man a tv series!

Sunday Roast: The complete guide to cooking and carving
Sunday Roast: The complete guide to cooking and carving by Johnny Scott (Paperback - 4 Nov. 2010)