Published on 26 April 2011 by E. Bullimore

1.0 out of 5 stars depressingly poor
very few recipes - unless you consider
"put in oven and roast until cooked" a recipe

full of irksome statements like
"contains 2.5 portions of your five a day. Provided you serve with two portions of vegetables" - no really !

OK - I had an agenda - I was looking for something that showed you how to get the best and most out of meat...
Published 19 months ago by Cheese Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrifty, ethical and sustainable, but still exciting, tasty and inspiring!, 26 April 2011
E. Bullimore "Elle" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Less Meat More Veg: The eco-friendly way to eat, with 150 inspiring recipes (Paperback)
First of all, I have to say how surprised I was to read the negative comments about this book. Far from being preachy, I thought the information given was concise and well presented, without droning on and distracting from the thing most people will buy this book for - the recipes. The author discusses the ethics and health implications of relying on an animal orientated diet and offers some simple guidelines for cutting down the animal products in the meal, whilst still maintaining a protein balance.

The concept is simple and it does pretty much what it says on the tin: eat less meat, eat better quality meat and use every last bit of the meat! If you are eating less meat, you can afford to up the quality and go for organically produced meat which not only tastes better, but is more ethical and sustainable. It's a very simple notion, but one that makes perfect sense.

But aside from the ethical stance, the recipes are fabulous. They manage to be simple, easy to follow and the sort of recipes you will actually cook EVERY DAY, whilst still being interesting and adventurous and full of variety. That is not a combination you often get to see! I am an avid collector of cookery books, many of which sit on my shelf looking beautiful and providing occasional recipes or ideas for lavish meals. This book, however, has barely touched the shelf as it has been in almost constant use since it arrived.

The book is laid out in sections for beef, lamb, pork, poultry, game, fish, veg and deserts. All of the meat sections start with a meal plan for a fabulous roast, followed by interesting and innovative leftover recipes. There are also recipes for standard cuts. Veg side dishes are always suggested and the author keeps count of your five-a-day in each recipe. For anyone who is conscious about what they eat, this is a great book.

My partner, a steak-addict, balked at the suggestion I would be giving him less meat, yet he has not noticed the change at all. Particularly as the meat I do serve up has been so tasty. The idea of making a big roast on Sunday and feeding off the leftovers throughout the week might not be new, but being reminded of the benefits and given straightforward instructions on how to get the most from my joints has been revolutionary. I have put a lot less food in the bin since following this book, and I do believe I have sucked every last morsel of nutrition out of my meat by making stocks with the bones and saving the fats and dripping to cook with later.

This book has genuinely changed the way I approach shopping and cooking. For someone who was already organic-wise and passionate about cooking, that is pretty impressive. I cannot recommend this book enough - and not just for the thrifty, ethical, healthy and sustainable approach to feeding the family. But rather for the recipes, which are tasty, nutritious and inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Of the hundreds (no joke!) of cookbooks I own, this is my favourite!, 25 Jan 2012
As a professional freelance cook, I couldn't agress less with the 'bad' reviews written here. Having been brought up in a foodie household and having a career in food myself, I am very fussy about good food. The recipes in this couldn't really be more delicious and some of them have become firm favourites - especially the Mexican chocolate mousse! Serving smaller portions of top quality meat is what everyone should do and thankfully my local farmer provides the perfect meat to compliment these fresh and flavoursome recipes. I really can't recommend this book more highly - there is not one 'bum' recipe in it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenominal!!, 28 Jan 2011
As a Chef working in the restauant/foodservice industry for over 15 years this is the first time I have EVER been inspired by a cookbook. I work for Whole Foods Market and I am always looking for creative ideas for food and after hearing about this book from a colleague I decided to buy it mysef. I have read hundreds of cookbooks and can honestly say that this one is the total package. It is creative, user friendly, inspiring, healthy, the pictures are beautiful, and best of all I have tried more than a few of the recipes and everyone of them have been amazing. I am a person who loves to cook with different types of meat as well as eat all types of meat, so I was pleasantly surprised at how this book incorporates meat in every recipe, yet emphasizes how vital fruits and vegetables are to a healthy lifestyle. So if you want a cookbook that has it all, than Less Meat, More Veg is the answer. I for one cannot wait for Rachel deThample's next work, I am sure it will be just as wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Less meat, more veg... less guilt, more fun!, 18 April 2011
Rachel's cookbook ticks all the boxes:

appetizing recipes - sorted!
healthy recipes for families and singles - sorted!
less guilt through cherishing all cuts of meat - sorted!
super tips for novice cooks - sorted!
recipes from around the world - sorted!
old favourites and new inspirations - sorted!
a simple formula that will enhance your health and will help to live more sustainably - sorted!

I highly recommend this book to all who love food, flavour, nature, their nearest and dearest and themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful recipe book that will make an impact inside and outside of your home, 27 Jan 2011
I read a review of this book last week and was so impressed I ordered a copy, then another for a friend and her young family. The book offers so much to the reader in that it is not just a recipe book, but also a dicussion on meat, dairy and fish. How it is farmed, sourced and how our understanding, purchasing and cooking can make a difference outside and inside of our home. It is a very helpful and inspiring book. It is beautifully presentated with its food styling, photography and the many delightful drawings. The recipes are clearly written and well laid out. There are little tips & suggestions at the bottom of the recipe which are very useful. There is a strong emphasis on getting 5 + a day fruit and veg, including a comprehensive list of fruit and veg with their respective portion size. The recipes also state what portions are contained within the recipe. What I find particularly helpful and brilliant is how the author has laid out the book. For example a menu plan for a rib of Beef, including recipes for sides dishes and a pudding. Then there are suggestions how to cook the various cuts of leftover meat for meals through the week with recipes. The book is full of recipes ranging from the sophisticated, simple, comforting, economical for meat/game, fish, dairy, vegetables and desserts. She has very thoughtfully included some recipes that will help those with intolerances and allergies. Many desserts are sweetened naturally which makes me so happy as my GP has advised me to avoid sugar where possible for health reasons and they are satisfying my sweet tooth! Inspired and with a willing and hungry husband I have made many recipes including coco cocoa, bakers breakfast, chilli (twice for friends), tahini dip, and baba ganoush, asian beefburgers and slaw - DELICIOUS. On Sunday with friends I will be cooking Roast Pork and all the trimmings she includes. I now feel more equipped to manage leftovers in a creative way and buy bigger pieces of quality meat, and as a result saving money, which helps with our current limited budget without loosing flavour or quality of produce. I am an avid collector and user of cookery books but this is one of my absolute favourites to be treasured.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful cookbook, 27 Dec 2011
I simply adore this cookbook. It strikes the balance that you don't find in the self-indulgent restaurant cooking books by top chefs and the dry inedible paste offered up by the yoghurt weaving community. The tone is light and humble. The recipes inspiring and delicious. Good food, honestly described.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookbook ever, 30 Mar 2012
Imogen Howson (Nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This recipe book is fantastic.

I've so far cooked 36 of the recipes from it, many of them several times, and all but one have been entirely successful - and many have become family favourites.

The only one that didn't really work for us so far was the Egyptian salad with poached eggs, but I think that was just our taste rather than anything wrong with the recipe itself. And although I love coconut milk in cooking, I can't get on with it as a dairy-free alternative in my coffee, so I gave up on that idea.

Top top favourites, aside from the delicious roasts which are always a success, are the dairy-free choc-chip and banana loaf and carrot cupcakes, the beefy Yorkshire puddings, the chorizo and chickpea stew, the bacon and butterbean soup, and the wholesome chicken pie. Oh, and my husband and I really like having homemade almond milk on our homemade granola. There are a lot of other meals I cook regularly, too, and that everyone enjoys, but these are the particular successes!

The thing I like best about the book is how delicious - and in general, easy and practical - the recipes are. But obviously the benefits to our health and the environment come a very close second. I'm happy to be able to invest in higher quality meat, and we're all eating a lot more fruit and veg than we used to. And it's not a great dull effort like so many recipe books and magazine articles make it seem.

1.0 out of 5 stars depressingly poor, 29 May 2013
very few recipes - unless you consider
"put in oven and roast until cooked" a recipe

full of irksome statements like

whilst incorporating a large amount of vegetables in your diet

but this is not it

the chicken section involves
1. roasting a chicken ontop of a squash and serving them together ( see comment about veg content above)
2. making gravy (from the juices youve already used with your roast chicken - )
3. boiling the carcass to make stock
4. making a pate - (from one chicken liver mind you) - oh and dont forget a lump of butter the size of the liver - oh and another two tablespoons of butter...yuk
not healthy.....dont expect healthy - oh and this supposedly serves six!
4. tagliatelle made with the remaining chicken gibblets shredded on top
5. soup from the stock

oh and cold chicken salad - maybe the stock and soup were one thing ? or perhaps gravy from none existant juices is a meal ?

and thats your amazing five meals from a chicken

its inspired me as a book
I'm going to shred it an use it as a mulch on my vegetables - I cannot bare to pass this travesty of a cookbook on even for nothing

please note ethical meat eaters - there is also a sectio on veal - well ok the whole section is actually only one recipe....and so on..

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air, 21 Jan 2013
I bought this book recently and i absolutely love it, i really wanted to change my eating habits, although i have always eaten a lot of fruit and veg i have also always eaten alot of meat and carbs. Ive decided to cut down on meat, eat more veg, have smaller portions and buy organic as much as i can.

The recipes in this book are great, i have been having the alternative breakfasts in the mornings which make me feel less bloated, i bought a food processor and have been getting to grips with using lots of different ingredients I didn't use before, I love the recipes like the blueberry pancakes which don't have any added sugar or milk and still taste amazing.

Like the title says, for me personally this book is like a breath of fresh air, I feel like I'm taking control of what I put into my body and it feels so much better not having processed food and using natural ingredients.

Big thumbs up for this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 6 Nov 2012
M. E. May "Emily from London" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This book has really changed the way I think about eating. The recipes are all really enticing and delicious-looking, though i have to admit- sometimes I do add a little more meat than they suggest! Great ideas for cooking a big roast and then using the meat up for the rest of the week.

Less Meat More Veg: The eco-friendly way to eat, with 150 inspiring recipes