TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 March 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and quickly was inspired to try out these recipes. Throughout, the author has adapted numerous recipes from other cookery writers - so this is not just a rehash of other pressure cookery books. There are basic simple recipes alongside more "chef" inspired recipes. Its packed full of useful tips on pressure cookery, a lot of the recipes are unusual too.

There are 7 chapters throughout:

soups, sauces and relishes - my favourite is cabbage soup with ham hock. Ham hocks are so cheap, this made loads of soup, tasted delicious and lasted for several days.

fish - sadly, there are only two recipes for fish dishes, fish stock and fish stew, as the author does not recommend cooking fish in a pressure cooker as he says that fish cooks so quickly anyway. I disagree, and regularly use my pressure cooker to cook my mackerel in, its easy, simple and there are no lingering fishy smells in the kitchen. A good book for pressure cooker fish recipes is Pressure Cooking Properly Explained and The Basic Basics Pressure Cooker Cookbook

Meat - lots of basic meat recipes, and more interesting ones too, the shin of beef with an Asian dipping sauce was delicious, it was so quick and easy too - just 15 minutes, and the preparation consisted of putting the beef and spices in the cooker with water and then simply cooking! It was a big hit with the family, no doubt I will be cooking it regularly from now on.

Poultry - just what I was looking for: a no fuss, minimal effort midweek dinner of simple chicken curry - I used defrosted chicken drumsticks, ginger out of a jar, 1 onion, 1 garlic clove, 2 teaspoons curry powder and 4 tablespoons greek style yoghurt. I am inspired to try cooking some of the duck recipes next to see if they are equally good.

Starch - What could be easier than a 5 minute risotto - brilliant with leftovers from your fridge.

Vegetables - I now only ever use the pressure cooker to cook my veg, usually it involves cooking for 2 minutes (and standing nearby with a kitchen timer). Happily, my basic vegetables have now improved with these interesting recipes, braised spring greens was my favourite.

Puddings - There aren't many recipes here that inspired me, but the rest of the book is so good it isn't really a problem. I will definitely be using this book for many years to come.
0Comment23 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 April 2011
I have always been rather nervous of pressure cookers having seen my mother's explode in the 1970s. However, my husband gave me a modern one, which seemed quite safe, so I looked for a good book to get me started. Richard Ehrlich's book on halogen ovens was really great (http://www.amazon.co.uk/80-Recipes-your-Halogen-Oven/dp/1856269590/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301962813&sr=1-3) so I thought I would try his pressure cooker book. I was not disappointed. He explains the basics so clearly and his recipes are not fussy but produce really delicious dishes. Meat, poultry and pulses are all great using his recipes, and his steamed puddings are amazing. I am completely hooked on the pressure cooker after buying and this book and would recommend it HIGHLY to anyone whether they're a beginner like me or someone more experienced. It's seems miraculous to be able to cook a rich meat stew or a steam pudding in 40 minutes instead of 3 hours.
on 11 July 2011
We have waited to review this book as we tend to use the pressure cooker on our narrow boat. Having been away for a few weeks, and used this book several times we can recommend it. The recipes we chose all worked well with easy to get ingredients ( useful on the canals!). We have not used all the recipes of course but so far so good. As there is a large choice of books, some obviously american, we can recommend this book to start with.
on 6 December 2013
I love my pressure cooker . I wonder why I was afraid of it exploding ? This book dismisses that , excellent information on how they work , what to cook . Once you try a few recipes then you can experiment with others.This book gives you back up detail as to how long certain items should take to cook so it will always be your bible enjoy some wonderful healthy meals in minutes . What I love about it is the food is piping hot , not likes hen you cook in microwave where it seems to loose its heat straight away .plus you are cooking from fresh without any loss of nutrients brilliant
on 21 May 2011
I've just got this book and there are some lovely and modern recipes. Two main criticisms. Firstly, the recipes aren't always as accurate/detailed as they might be - one recipe for chicken curry omitted any seasoning at all. Secondly, there isn't enough detail on how pressure cookers work - it assumes you only have one temperature option, and lots of cookers have 2. If you want some good ideas on recipes to try this is a good book, but be prepared to sense check the recipes. If its your first pressure cooker attempt, like me, there's not enough information to get you started.
on 23 August 2011
Overall a quick read and recipes done in an overdone modern food magazine way - lamb shank with a spanish style rub, minted pea soup - and do we need another ricpe for mashed potato. Most pressure cookers come with choice of pressures but the book never mentions them so I guess you are meant to cook on maximum pressure. Opened my eyes to cooking in dishes on the rack. Works well.
on 14 November 2011
This book is unlikely to become your pressure cooker 'bible'. It covers the basics quite well and it is more likely that I will use this for ideas rather than recipes. The regular use of a bowl inside the pressure cooker goes against everything said in the information with the cooker on purchase. However basics such as cooking rice dishes and basic curries are useful.
on 31 October 2014
Very pleased came within a couple of days. I bought the book for a old boy who had a pressure cooker and no cook book.
He's over the moon. It gives him cooking times and I know with the recipes he will doctor them to his liking.
on 10 September 2014
Brilliant book for new users of pressures cookers. A variety of recipes but also basic tips for use and converting recipes.
Well written and clearly set out. Arrived quickly and well packaged.
on 2 December 2012
Bought for my daughter in law together with a pressure cooker last Christmas, she is steadily working her way through the recipes and has been pleased with the results.