5.0 out of 5 stars worth buying
Published on 2 Feb 2011 by Sue P

2.0 out of 5 stars Gluten Free Greatness Turns to Disappointment
Published on 11 Jan 2011 by MinnyMinx

2.0 out of 5 stars Gluten Free Greatness Turns to Disappointment, 11 Jan 2011
This review is from: Seriously Good! Gluten-free Baking: In Association with Coeliac UK (Hardcover)
Just after i got this book I reviewed it and gave it 4 stars, on the basis of appearance, the breadth of recipes and testing a couple (pecan and treacle bread and the shortcrust pastry) This appeared to be a great book for those who want to/have to avoid wheat/gluten but love baking and eating the results. It has a comprehensive range of recipes from several breads (not requiring a bread machine), large cakes, pancakes, yorkshire puddings, small cakes, biscuits and even one for shortcrust pastry which is one thing i have struggled to make since ditching the gluten.

However my review has been downgraded to 2 stars following further use.Either the recipes haven't been tested properly and/or the finished book has not been checked for accuracy. The roast hazelnut cookie recipe is missing a liquid ingrediant completely - i tried adding milk but the end result was tough and disappointing - another reviewer suggested adding an egg.... The cooking time for the pecan honey flapjacks is wrong too- it needed at least 30-40 minutes in a fan oven not 15-20 minutes as stated.

Generally more guidance is required with some of the recipes some of which feature ingrediants many regular bakers will not be familiar with such as xanthan gum. For example, the shortcrust pastry recipe doesn't mention at what stage any filling should go in and it doesn't state whether or not cooking times and temperatures refer to a fan oven or not. I have been cooking for years but this is the first time i have come across recipes where i have to guess the cooking times and missing ingrediants. Whether this relates to just the 2 recipes I mentioned or not remains to be seen....

Finally many, but not all of the recipes make use of Vickery's own GF flour blends - one for bread and 2 others for cakes/biscuits so if the idea of purchasing 3 or 4 types of flour and mixing them up yourself does not appeal, then this book probably isn't for you. These flours (including soya, potato, rice etc) should be obtainable from health food shops although i am struggling to track down tapioca flour....

5.0 out of 5 stars worth buying, 2 Feb 2011
So far I have only used a few recipies from this book, but it is worth buying if only for the pastry and pancake recipies. The pastry is to die for and as good as any I have ever made. The pancake recipe is also great for toad in the hole. Tapioca flour is hard to come by and if not used in great quantities sub either Dove or Glebe plain GF flour. I did this in the pastry receipe and could have wept at being able to make a decent pie instead of the ones that would normally need a chain saw to cut through the crust. Here I speak as a retired home economist. It is great to find a book that has been well researched, ok there has been found the odd error, but this happens in all books even though it should have been sorted before publication. Yes I feel that more savoury would have been useful, anyone else feel another book could be in the pipe line. Bread is always going to be an issue, but as the Gf problem becomes more recognised and not thought of as a fad I feel that this will also be resloved.
Going back to the book I feel it is well worth buying and even if you only find a few recipies that you like, they are more than you had before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best GF book I've bought (and I've bought lots...), 5 Jan 2011
Thoroughly recommend this. I got it for Christmas and I have to say it's refreshing to have a GF book dedicated to baking. There's a good range of recipes -focaccia, breadsticks, biscuits, small cakes, big cakes, fancy coffee cakes. I've made some of the recipes already and am impressed with the textures - the biscuits are soft and the cakes are moist. (sounds like not much to ask for but if you've tried other GF biscuit recipes before, you'll know how amazing this is!...)

The ingredients are all easy to get hold of - i.e. in supermarkets (unlike the American GF recipe books I have, like babycakes, which ask for special bean flour and liquid/fruit sugars). Also, I'm pleased the recipes work well with Doves Farm GF plain flour mix.

5.0 out of 5 stars GF Baking Phil Vickery, 21 Oct 2010
Phil kendall "Meltemi" (On the edge of Civilization & the Fens) - See all my reviews
Another excellent addition to the GF cook-books which will appeal to the sweeter toothed Coeliac. This is the one to have. This book is so good that I have ditched many of my earlier cook-books. The use of xanthan gum is perhaps a tad too heavy. Chestnut flour is a pricey additive as he says substitute cornmeal. Though my favourite is ground almond. hey ho the GF pork pie recipe remains very elusive.

2.0 out of 5 stars Error in recipe!!!!, 23 Jan 2011
I have just tried baking my first recipe from this book; have been so excited to finally find a book that makes sweet recipes with decent flour mixes instead of 'gluten-free flour' (horrible stuff). HOWEVER, my first recipe was nearly a disaster.

There appears to be an error in both the ingredients and the instructions. The receipe is on page 47, Hazelnut Cookies. I followed the instructions to the letter and wondered why I ended up with a dry mixture that I couldn't possibly 'spoon out' as instructed. I added more butter. Still no luck. I added xanthum gum, in desperation. Still no luck. I added water. A gluey mess. Husband looked at recipe and announced it was clearly missing an ingredient - probably egg. Added an egg - voila! Finally had a mixture that resembled biscuit dough. God knows what I've done to it with my additions before I added the egg, but hopefully it has been saved (yet to try it; still baking).

VERY disappointed! Tried to contact Phil Vickery directly through the internet - no luck. He should probably be aware of this.....Am somewhat nervous that there will be more errors within........Hopefully not, cos the recipes look brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, 14 Oct 2010
Thank you Mr Vickery, this book like your first one, just what i have been waiting for, a wide range of excellent, simple to prepare and tasty recipes.It also tells us where to get the ingredients and tells us how to make a selection of different pastries. GO BOY. THANK YOU.

5.0 out of 5 stars seriously good!, 3 Dec 2010
This seriously good book is a must for Coeliacs and their families everywhere.Before buying this book, i had purchased the first one, Seriously Good Gluten Free Cookery, and found it really helpful with information and recipes. Cakes and pastry that don't crumble, wow, a wide range of recipes, you can't go wrong with it.It is just a shame that its sometimes hard to get such ingredients as tapioca and potato flour, but stick with it. M&S gf flour is a good substitute!

5.0 out of 5 stars gluten free baking at is best!, 2 Nov 2010
Mrs. Sandra D. Powell (Portlethen Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Another fantastic book by Phil Vickery and a must for everyone who is gluten intolerant/coeliac. A few recipes use oats so I am not able to make them for myself but will be doing so for family and friends. Phil Vickery at his very best - again!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars mixed bag, 28 Jan 2011
rach c (oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
I Got this book in the hope that it would not have mistakes like the first one but have found that it does. I first made the pine nut cookies which were great, but then made the hazelnut cookies which made a very dry mixture, after looking at the reviews on amazon I agreed that it needed more butter and an egg or 2. I gave it another go but it was still not right, If I give it a 3rd try I might try some condensed milk.
I dont think a recipe book were you have to read the reviews to be able to complete the recipes is very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally just wonderful - but why the oats!, 9 Nov 2010
Jo Bennie (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have just had two massive slices of Vickery's Apple Pudding Cake with Cider Topping from page 86 of this wonderful book. Being gluten intolerant can be a chore but finally I have recipes for much missed beloved goodies such as flatbread, yorkshire pudding and the five recipes I've tried so far really do work and are wonderful.

I only have two issues. Firstly, Vickery uses a food processor a lot, which is fine for those who can afford it but for those with only at most an electric mixer had mixing alternatives would help.

Secondly I had real problems making the wonderful tasting Bonfire Parkin with Ginger Icing because I, like many that I know of, am intolerant to the gluten in oats, for me it is my most pernicious ingredient. I tried using quinoa to replace the oatmeal but it didn't really work, I may try polenta next time. The book is called 'gluten free' so it should contain only gluten free ingredients.

But in general, this book is great, a little effort and you don't need to rely on the supermarket and health food shop gluten free aisles.

Seriously Good! Gluten-free Baking: In Association with Coeliac UK