5.0 out of 5 stars The title doesn't lie - truly accessible
To set context, I'm bit of a home exerciser, and have a couple of pilates books. The 'bible' itself I imagine contains a few details from other Body Control Pilates books (and I have the The Complete Classic Pilates method), however, where this one leaps ahead is that it is truly accessible.

It sets out beginner, intermediate and advanced exercises by chapter,...
Published on 2 Jan 2010 by Miss epiphany

3.0 out of 5 stars It was OK
I bought this book on the basis of other reviews. For me it is ok & worth having, but thought it was over priced in comparison to another pilates book I bought - which I thought was just as good & much better value
Published 2 months ago by Mrs. L. Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars The title doesn't lie - truly accessible, 2 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Pilates Bible: The Most Comprehensive and Accessible Guide to Pilates Ever (Paperback)

It sets out beginner, intermediate and advanced exercises by chapter, and at the end of each, it lists 20, 30 and 40 min exercise plans for each level using these exercises. Prsonally, I find this much better than showing a beginner pose, then intermediate, then advanced on sequential pages rather than chaptering. Very helpful and clear. The exercises themselves are laid out with 2 pages per exercises, extremely clear pictures showing the poses as you move through them and good detail, but not too much (the problem with the previous Complete Classic Pilates Method, although a good book for detail, but tiny writing and a nightmare if practicing at home). It then has chapters showing exercises for actual studio equipment (pointless for me personally but hey, still good), exercises using a resistance band, the circle, ball, free weights etc. It then has chapters listing helpful exercises for various aspects relating to health issues and to resolve work/sport issues. Interestingly, it take typical exercises such as squats and when using weight equipment at the gym, and points out how pilates can help ensure correct posture when doing these (all with pictures)

It's not a small book, over A4 size, and pages lay out flat.

I have the Alycea Ungaro and other Pilates books, but wish I had had this when I first developed an interest in pilates. This would be good for absolute beginners, 'long-term' beginners and those who have delved more deeply. It also points out common mistakes for each exercise. In an ideal world, I would have liked to have seen for each exercise the specific areas it targets, but as it states, each exercise targets multiple areas.

Truly a great book - it's strengths lie in the clarity of pictures and descriptions of each movement (spaced over 2 pages when opened flat)and its coverage of a number of areas. Although true pilates aficiandos may not be happy with this (not sure why, but have to cover myself), personally, I have to say this is definitely one of my better buys. I've found the Body Control pilates videos boring and this book has really helped me to revitalise my interest. I recommend this book for beginners and intermediate, and sure it would be of value to others. Also, a good price for what you are getting. The title of the book really does sum up what it covers. As I don't have a lot of other Body Control pilates books/DVDs (did I mention I found them boring/painfully detailed?) it doesn't appear to be covering a lot of previously well-trodden ground to me, so as you have probably gathered, I'm REALLY happy with this - so much so that I have no intention of buying another pilates book for the forseeable future. Normally a good sign. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 3 Dec 2010
I have been going to a weekly Pilates lesson for a year now, and wanted to be able to do more at home. This book has lots of illustrations to explain each move, and is explained in a clear way. It has 20 min, 40 min & 60 min workouts for each level, which I found invaluable and inspired me to actually practice it at home, rather than just think about it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pilates Bible, 6 Feb 2012
I only came to Pilates a few months ago having tried every form of exercise under the sun. I have attended classes for the past few months and had a truly excellent pilates instructor. I am now unable to attend classes as frequently as I would like so wanted a comprehensive book to remind me of the positions and reinforce what I had already learned so that I could do pilates at home.

The book is excellent as it sets out 3 levels (beginner, intermediate and advanced) in each chapter and then shows exercise plans for each level at the end of each chapter in 20, 40 and 40 minute exercise plans. The book is clear, concise and very clear. It also include chapters showing exercises for actual studio equipment, exercises using resistance band, circle, ball and free weights. It also contains pictures so that you can ensure your posture and positions are correct.

This is an excellent all around book which I use regularly and is well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book, 18 Nov 2010
It is a great book not only for beginners. I found it very useful as there are pictures showing the whole exercise from the beginning to the end as well as clear written instruction. I definitely recommned it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pilates Bible, 3 Dec 2010
Eileen (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
Well written and well illustrated. A boon for anyone who wishes to practice pilates at home. The instructions are very detailed and easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars The PIlates bible, 3 Jan 2010
An excellent reference. Clear descriptions of exercises and well illustrated. Excellent to trigger ideas with using different toning equipment such as the toning ring etc. A must buy if you want to keep updated with the new advancements in Pilates with Lynn Robinson. I will use this book regularly as a body control Pilates teacher and it is reassuring to have reference for integrating pilates into the gym workouts and daily life also.
Rosa Whitehead(Body Control Pilates Instructor)
PilatesPlusWellness

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Bible!, 20 Aug 2010
Having done pilates for just a few months after numerous visits to doctors, physios, osteopaths etc for a recurrent back problem, I've been completely won over. Pilates seems to have done the trick & shown me which muscles to strengthen to help my back. And now I wanted to know a bit more about it and this book shows me exactly what I wanted to know, it really is a bible for anyone who wants to know how to perfect moves in case you can't get to classes too often. Well done Lynne Robinson! I've now bought 2 of her DVD's so we'll see...

5.0 out of 5 stars V good value, 21 Oct 2011
Very pleased. Much cheaper than in the gym. Excellent photographs and illustrations . Really easy to follow and copy. Covers all you need to start a course.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great refresher, 23 Oct 2013
I've done quite a few pilates classes but I always find it difficult to remember exactly how to do the exercises at home. This book has loads of beginner and intermediate exercises with very clear pictures and explanations. It also suggests which exercises to do for different sports. The only section I probably won't use is the one about special pilates equipment. However, it's a big book and most of it looks really useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pilates Bible - God's Gift?, 26 Oct 2010
I bought this as a birthday gift for a friend I attend Pilates classses with and she can't sing its praises highly enough. She loves the clear photos and instructions and it has already enabled her to correct her 'Teaser' technique so she can now do the exercise quite easily, having struggled for years!. A really good gift - now I just hope someone will buy me one!

The Pilates Bible: The Most Comprehensive and Accessible Guide to Pilates Ever