5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous cookbook for healthy eating
This is a unique cookbook in my experience: it links science in a precise yet accessible way to great cooking.
Published on 16 July 2009 by George Battle

3.0 out of 5 stars good value
Bought this as it was recommended in a radio programme about a man who had prostate cancer. Don't know if the recipes are helpful in combating the disease but the book is about healthy eating and that's always a good thing. Nice recipes, gives portion calories and vitamin values etc, educational and good value at Amazon price. Bit expensive at recommended retail price
Published on 15 July 2009 by RC

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous cookbook for healthy eating, 16 July 2009
George Battle ""Geordie exile"" (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Healthy Eating: The Prostate Care Cookbook published in association with Prostate Cancer Research Foundation (Healthy Eating Series) (Paperback)
I'm not actually a prostate patient, simply someone drawn to attractive veg, fish & meat dishes. I might never have found this superb book if it hadn't been for The Food Proagramme on BBC Radio 4. I liked the sound of the recipes being sampled in the studio, roast tomato soup and a vegetable quiche using potato & sweet potato for the 'pastry'.
When my copy arrived I wanted to try out lots of dishes. I've made that quiche, several salads and other dishes and none has disappointed. It's taught me a lot, helped me reinforce a few good habits and acquire some more - I'm definitely eating more fish.
I hope this was the 1st of a series - books linking food to very particular scientific information.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very informative book, 3 July 2009
I bought this book because my brother is under-going treatment. The introduction is so clear and easy to follow; I found the explanations and risk factors convincing and the science behind the disease is particularly strong. For the first time I realised why diet is so important. Looking at the different range of vegetables I was able to assess the best sources of lycopene, selenium, Vitamin D and learn how valuable they are in the care of the prostate. And it became clear to me why allium vegetables are so important. We look forward to cooking some of the delicious recipes. The recipe for the Tuna Stir-Fry was an instant hit and we look forward to making the Chicken Kebabs with Peanut Sauce. This is a very useful book for anyone with prostate cancer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Eating: Does it help?, 25 July 2009
T. Stonehouse - See all my reviews
So, does healthy eating help? It most certainly does! Since we are all (at least to some extent)what we eat, it follows that to eat sensibly must have positive health benefits.
This book is well-presented, easy to follow and has a wealth of information, likely to be of use, both to prostate cancer sufferers and to those considerable numbers of men, who have an enlarged prostate gland and are therefore at risk.
Gents, take evasive action now - don't wait until the enemy strikes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cookbook, 11 July 2009
I bought this book too late, having already undergone treatment for prostate cancer, but I find it not just helpful in explaining the science thoroughly and with real conviction, but the recipes are delicious! My wife and I have worked our way through quite a number of them and have not found one that we didn't like. Dr John's Meatballs are now a favourite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scientific approach, 17 Mar 2013
The main interest of this book is that the Author assumes the reader is intelligent enough to understand the reasons scientists think a particular food may be essential or may help towards a better diet. In that sense it makes interesting reading whatever the state of your prostate. It could have been called the Health Care Cookbook. The recipes are there to hint that you can enjoy food even more with the right ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch your diet!, 1 Sep 2009
Peter Seaton (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I have had prostate cancer, so I am aware that diet can help to prevent cancer and may also help to cure cancer. The book starts with explaining the importance of diet in some detail and then gives delicious recipes to allow you to eat the right food and, most important, to enjoy eating it as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, 15 Jan 2013
This book is a gem! fabulous recipes and all around prostate health, so far I've tried 3 to 4 recipes and they're excellent. Lots of information I never found anywhere else! Prostate problems? buy this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Time Will Tell, 25 May 2010
D. Britton "Volstar" (England) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book on the recommendation of a friend, as I was diagnosed with prostate cancer 4 years ago, had a prostatectomy and recently underwent a course of salvage radiotherapy, which initially appears to have worked (PSA 0.05). I am a mild believer in the concept of diet having an effect on ones health and particularly concerned about the unhealthy diet that we tend to indulge in the Western world. The book appears to be well researched and is very well written, combining both scientific and layman's terms in the text. It provides a list of foods recommended to fight cancers, the reasons for their selection and the recommended quantity of each. The recipes provided by a host of chefs are varied and relatively easy to prepare. The only problem I found with the recipes is that they tend to be for 2 - 4 servings, whereas it is usually only 1 person in the home that has the cancer and not everyone wants to follow that particular regime. The other issue is time. Whether the advice works can only be assessed after at least 6 months and the book makes no claims for miracle cures on an individual basis.
Overall, I am pleased with the purchase. The worse case scenario is that if one adopts the suggestions, one will enjoy a very much improved diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and good for you, 24 May 2010
Just one of the recipes from this book has had guests clamouring for details. Prostate health is related to breast cancer health. Most of the recipes are dairy free which is in line with research on the link between dairy and breast/prostate cancer (see BMA and Professor Jane Plant on 'Your Life in Your Hands'). However, this book has recipes that have a broad appeal and can be enjoyed by all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Change your lifestyle with this book., 12 Oct 2009
Ann Edwards (uk) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book for a friend who had prostate cancer and then had radical surgery to hopefully clear it. I think it's so important to overhaul your lifestyle when you've had a warning like this, so this book has been a great help in understanding what types of food you should eat to hopefully help keep the cancer from returning.It is well written and easy to follow. Well done.