on 8 January 2009
I have bought all of the Beauty Bibles which have come out over the years and was very excited about this one as I have made the move to more natural brands in the past year or so and wanted to see which other products might perform better than my current choices.

As many of the other reviewers have said, the products featured in the book are by no means all natural or organic, and there were very few of the 3 daisy rated products in there at all; because they only feature the items which scored the best in their consumer tests I'm not sure if this is because the testers tried the all natural products but really didn't like them, or if they were not trialled at all. Would be useful to have a run down in each category of what was actualy tested to give readers more of an idea.

I was hoping to save myself some time scouring labels for 'nasties' in the ingredients lists when shopping for products, but as many of them were only either 1 or 2 daisy rated, I ended up still having to check on the products I liked the sound of anyway to see what was actually in them before purchasing.

The section I was most interested in reading was about make up - not the authors' fault but many of the products which did well were from Origins (not really all that natural!) who withdrew their colour cosmetics range in the UK soon after the book was published. Again, I would love to know which natural/mineral ranges were actually tested as the market for these types of products has exploded recently and the same brands came up as 'winners' time & time again.

If you have only just thought about trying out more 'naturally inspired' products and would like some pointers, or have never purchased any of the other Beauty Bibles then this would be worth buying. But if like me you were hoping for a short cut to identifying as-natural-as-possible brands without the legwork then this book is not for you.
on 6 July 2012
This book is touted as green yet is full of expensive products some of which contain parabens and a lot of them you dont need.
Be aware that the cosmetic industry is BIG business and these books are in themselves advertisements for products

For cleansing I would recommend you g lookle up the OCM - oil cleansing method and use this it is Castor oil with another oil usually Sunflower or Olive.
Buy microfibre cleaning cloths and use them as face cloths - a fresh cloth every day is absolutley essential NO compromise or you will just put bacteria all over your face when you reuse it - the main reason people think the OCM is not working and blame the oils when its just manky poor hygene behaviour from not using fresh cloths.
Any spots and blackheads will come out in the first six weeks after that your complexion will improve if you USE A CLEAN CLOTH each time

Toner - Apple Cider Vinegar diluted with tap water

Moisturiser - Rosehip Oil

Even for oily skin OCM and Rosehip Oil will work and not cause an oil slick as they both contain biological acids which dissolve sebum plugs and remove dead skin from the surface.If your skin is dry you could use less Castor more Sunflower/Olive in your OCM and skip the ACV toner.

I am a Critical Care Nurse and Clinical Aromatherapist.
on 3 April 2010
I bought this hoping for reviews on a wide variety of products, but they seem to be reviewing only certain brands, which make me think it's all a marketing ploy.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was looking forward to reading this book as I've been "going down" the Green route for awhile now.
The book doesn't cover enough products and very few of them are 100% natural. Yes, I did read the Daisy rating where it clearly states that not all products are of 100% origin but to me that's not good enough.

A fair amount of this book is dedicated to their friends and their products together with pretty pictures and profiles. Sure, that's interesting but I can read about these women (If I choose to, which I don't) in magazines.

Another thing that really irritated was the fact that ALL products tested weren't mentioned so that hardly leaves the reader with a huge choice so I'll continue using the products I do and carry on with my own investigations into what is and what isn't suitable for my skin. Also, I noticed a lot of the products are for more Normal/Dry skins. Where another variant was available, very few comments were made.

As Journalists I expected them to know the difference between less and few. Also, they used the phrase "trialled" ad nauseum. Sure, it's a recent addition to the OED but "trialled" is used out of context and isn't a verb. Maybe I'm just incredibly fussy when it comes to editing and proof reading of books but when a phrase or word is used so much, it gets really annoying, to the point where you end up losing the will to live, let alone finish the book.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 February 2011
This book is a great starting point for anyone wishing to find out a bit more about 'greening' their beauty routine. However, that is all it is.

As previous reviewers have said, a lot of the products featured are not as natural or organic as they make out, and it is clear to see that they have given a lot of page space to eulogising their friend Liz Earle and her beauty range, which is all well and good up to a point as her products are very good - but it's to the detriment of some of the 'real' natural and organic ranges out there that simply don't get a look in. There is also a feature on her too in case we'd forgotten about her, further on in the book. Interesting to note that Jo and Liz are best friends in real life.

Putting that aside there are some useful tips and hints in the book for getting the most out of your beauty products and making them multitask for you but on the whole it isn't what I was expecting and indeed quite disappointing in many ways.
on 10 February 2009
I have been a 'green' beauty for quite a while now, but have never sought the opinions of beauty professionals before purchasing this book. Already a big fan of the original Beauty Bible, I was intrigued to see what Sarah Stacey and Josephine Fairly had to say about more natural face, hair and body care.

The Green Beauty Bible is not a disappointment. As expected, it covers a wide range of products from more natural to certified organic, with the traditional Tried & Tested segments providing useful verdicts on a wide range of cosmetics.

I know some people have become confused about the natural 'daisy' rating, but I found it relatively easy to understand. The more daisies a product gets, the more natural it is. If, like me, you are only interested in the most natural products then look out for anything achieving at least 2½ daisies (out of a maximum of three).

Also included is a well-being section, which didn't initially interest me, but I found the 'Eating The Evolutionary Way' article absolutely fascinating and surprisingly accurate! As a result of that article I ordered one of their recommended books: The Complete Book Of Food Combining by Kathryn Marsden.

There are also a number of interviews with 'green goddesses', and most are very interesting. Although I have two gripes here: the interview with Donna Air appears to be missing in my copy and Sheherazade Goldsmith appears completely unaware that it is hypocritical to extol the 'virtues' of her electric hybrid Toyota Prius, as it is one of the LEAST environmentally friendly cars to manufacture and recycle! (As all electric hybrid cars are, incidentally; but they don't tell you that in the brochure.)

If you're familiar with David Downton's gorgeous illustrations, rest assured, they are here in force, appropriately scattered throughout the book.

Overall, this is an informative and interesting resource book, well-written by Sarah and Jo who tackle the issues (for example animal testing or hair dye chemicals) with their usual wit and friendly attitude. Even if you're familiar with green beauty I'm sure you'll learn something new here.
on 22 January 2010
I have to say first of all that I love the Green Beauty Bible, I wouldn't be without it. If I didn't have the earlier version I would have given it 5 out of 5 as the book itself is fab and I refer to it all the time. However I do have the previous version and I think saying this is 'completely updated' is not wholly accurate. The articles are all the same and so are most of the products. OK, you would expect that a brilliant product is not suddenly going to become rubbish, but I really think it would have benefitted from a couple of new sections. I think a couple of pages on newly released high-street brands, such as Dr Organic, 97% Naked and Faith in Nature would have been really good. Occasional reference is made to the fact these types of brands are often not as organic as they suggest, however a 'focus' on two or three of them would have been more informative. Also a feature on a high street store such as the Body Shop would have been great - a cost effective focus in this climate would have been more fitting as many of the products remain quite pricey. There are a few great additions in there however, and although I considered sending it back for a refund, I decided to keep it for those few alone.
Great work GBB, but next time a brand new book please!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I love my organic products that I use & was really looking forward to this book arriving. I was surprised at the size of the book so found it excellent value for money. I like the idea that all products were tested on women for a reasonable amount of time, it made me feel more confident in buying the products. But saying that I was VERY DISSAPOINTED that there are hardly any products with the 3 daisy rating, seeing as there are loads of products out there which come under this catagory. I was really hoping to find more testing of products from the 3 daisy products. I thought the book let me down on this as I like many other readers were hoping to find some new products without having to waste money trying them out first.
Very good but shame about the lack of organics.
on 25 January 2010
I was tempted to treat myself to this book when it came out (I don't have the earlier edition) but decided it would be an extravagance. Now I've got it though I'm delighted with it.

Granted, not all the products are organic or even 100% natural - I personally would have preferred it if they were - but the authors have indicated this at the beginning. In any event it's not just the range of products tested that make the book worth having, it also contains loads of information about skincare, whether it be lips, body, face, hands, hair or sensible sun exposure, and what best to eat. For sure I'd read most of this somewhere before and knew a fair bit about it, but here it's gathered together and set out in clearly marked sections with further short introductions to yoga, exercise, and sleep.

The book doesn't list many products for each purpose, but it does list those that worked best for the women who tested them and there were certainly some that I've never tried but that sounded interesting and that I will investigate further. At least they form a basis for further research, and the detail about why they scored so highly is probably more useful than a fuller list that tells you little about each product.

If you're a bit of a pedant you'll find a few editorial slips that irritate (compliment, for instance, in a context where it should have been complement). But for anyone who wants to look her best (what woman doesn't?) and avoid absorbing a cocktail of chemicals through her skin, it's a lovely book to curl up in front of the fire with or just to dip into from time to time. Just accept that if you're interested in the subject, you'll probably have read a lot of what's included here in newspaper articles and magazines. The joy of this book is that it's all gathered together in a visually appealing and informative volume. For me the book is more a basis for further reading and research than a comprehensive study of each and every aspect of such a vast subject, and good value, I thought.
on 17 May 2008
Bravo! For all who get lost in the green beauty jungle, The Green Beauty Bible is a must-read. I am impressed with its simplicity and honesty and I love the beauty tips - very clever. The daisy ratings in the book help me to make an informed choice and perhaps the previous reviewer missed the introduction where it clearly states that not everything in the book is 100 per cent natural. This book is a triumph!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...