4.0 out of 5 stars Just needs baking powder!
Published on 30 Dec. 2011 by roadrunner

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice book shame about the cakes
Published on 25 Sept. 2010 by Bookmyre

4.0 out of 5 stars Just needs baking powder!, 30 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery (Hardcover)
I've owned this book now for almost 2 years and I can safely say it's the cupcake book I use most out of my extensive collection - so much so that the pages are stuck together with cake batter and buttercream! I have tried lots of recipes from this book including carrot cake, vanilla, chocolate, raspberry & white chocolate, coconut & lime, strawberry & cream, orange, lemon and amaretto to name just a few that come to mind. I have been told many times that the carrot cake cupcakes are the best people have ever tasted.
I read previous reviews about dense or heavy sponge and to a certain extent I agree. There seems to be a bit of a battle between The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook and this one. I own both books and as far as I can see the main difference between them is that the Primrose Bakery book uses the creaming method (and no baking powder) to make the mixture rise whereas the Hummingbird bakery favour the all in one method (using baking powder). I think the omission of baking powder is the reason the primrose Bakery's cakes are slightly heavy, so all I do is add 1 teaspoon of baking powder to the mix and the cakes are perfect. I bake, on average, 2 batches of cupcakes from this book every fortnight to take into work and have always had favourable reports and they certainly disappear very quickly.
Another tip I would give is that the icing amounts are very generous so if you are just spreading the icing with a knife you will probably have enough if you halve the mixture. I ice the buttercream with an icing bag and nozzle for a more professional finish. This uses more buttercream but even so I still have some buttercream left over. I have found that the more you use this book, the more comfortable you become with the recipes and you can tweak them to your own tastes. All in all, this is one book I reach for time and again in the kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, fabulous results!, 25 Sept. 2009
Mrs. D. Rowland "mum of 5" (Hayle, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery (Hardcover)
I bought this boook after developing a bit of an obsession with baking cupcakes. I wanted to try some different recipes to the standard cupcake recipes I usually used and this one caught my eye. It is fabulous! The images look fantastic and after trying out 2 recipes (chocolate and banana cupcakes and the "basic" chocolate cupcakes)I am really pleased with my purchase. Have also made the chocolate buttercream icing from the book too, which again was scrummy. There are plenty of "different" recipes that I am desperate to try out on my family and friends.

The recipes are all easy to follow, though some of them are a bit more complicated than what I've used before for cupcakes but the results are well worth the extra effort. A note about the recipes though, I followed them to the letter and got slightly different results than what the book leads you to expect (the chocolate cupcake recipe explains that the mix may resemble batter and might be easier to pour into cases from a jug rather than spoon, I found it to be very stiff actually and more like a chocolate mousse!)The result was THE BEST EVER chocolate cupcake though so I'm not worrying! Also estimations on the ammount the recipe makes varies quite a bit but generally you get more than you were expecting so who can complain! The chocolate cupcake recipe states 16 standard cakes but I got 16 very generously filled large muffin cases. The same with the banana and chocolate muffins, states 12 standard, I got 16 large muffin size.

All in all an EXCELLENT book and well worth the money. Order it now, you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yumyyyyy, 18 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery (Hardcover)
I got the book for my birthday after reading the 5 stars reviews and all the comments sounded positive I put it on my birthday wish list. This book lives up to the hype, I made the vanilla cupcakes and yes has other reviewers have mentioned they do require more effort then traditional cupcakes, but do not be put off by that they are simply delicious and worth the extra time, the only problem is I had to add a extra 5-10 mins of cooking time to each bath of cakes to ensure the cakes were cooked through, this may depend on type oven you are using. You have the option of making muffin or cupcake sized cakes I chose muffin but they were more filling once I added the Delicious butter-icing, so next time I will make smaller ones. Couple of reviewers have mentioned the large amount of icing used in the butter icing yes it is alot but i tend to half the butter icing recipe so only use 250g instead of 500g icing mentioned, plus these are intended has treat and you are spreading the cing between 12 muffin cupcakes or 36 mini cakes.

Tips:
1) Invest in a electric mixer will make light work of mixing the mixture.
2) When putting the butter icing on be careful how much you spread on the top otherwise like me you will end up with a 1cm thick layer of icing on top.
3) Don't make same mistake has me and buy quality vanilla extract which has tiny bits of vanilla seed in so you end up with tiny tiny dots of black in your cakes.
4) Buy quality vanilla extract not that cheap one in a bottle for 59p, has it won't add that sweet vanilla taste.
5) You may need to leave your cakes in oven for little longer if they are not golden brown, and make sure when you gently press the top of cake that pop back up if not leave a little longer in the oven.

HAPPY BAKING.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice book shame about the cakes, 25 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery (Hardcover)
Bought the book with the view to make cupcakes with my partner for us both to enjoy and share with friends and family. Out of the cupcake basic recipes the chocolate and carrot cupcakes turned out the best. The icing recipes however never turned out at all. They were just too wet, tried everything, even added in more icing sugar and adjusted the milk but to no avail. The basic vanilla cupcake recipe comes out very heavy and dry. Overall it's a nice book but there's better out there with less hassle and more rewarding outcomes.

2.0 out of 5 stars not what i was expecting, 20 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery (Hardcover)
i recently bought this book after trying several other good cupcake books and was attracted by the bright pictures and pretty details. however, it pains me to say this, because i really wanted to love this book, but i found the recipies far too sweet. i have an extremely severe sweet tooth and i thought the cupcake recipies were far to sickly, even for me!
ive followed each recipie to the letter and at first i thought it was my scales that were possibly causing me to add to much sugar, but no, it was infact the recipie. the cupcakes i baked had a strange crunchy caramalised top to them and i blame that on the amount sugar. each recipie ive tried does exactly the same. i couldnt even bring myself to use a whole box of icing sugar so i followed the hummingbird butter icing recipie for that : ) lol.
very pretty attractive book, far to sweet, stodgey and sickly. however on the plus side i have managed to perfect the primrose style of icing cupcakes and it makes the cupcakes look homemade but still elegant, i much prefer it to piping : )i would recommend buying this simply for the ideas and decorations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely recipes so far, 30 Oct. 2009
S. Bardgett "Craftygirl09" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery (Hardcover)
I haven't had a chance to try a huge majority of the recipes in this book, but I figure that now that I've tried at least one icing and one cake recipe, I can say that I am truly happy with this book. I have a bit of a cupcake obsession, and couldn't resist buying this book even though I had just picked up the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook. I had actually not been that happy with the cake recipes that came out of the Hummingbird book, so I thought I'd love to try this one and I have to say I am definitely happier with the ingredients and directions in this book. I've tried both cakes straight from the bakeries and it's hard to say which is the winner, but I think being able to replicate them in your own home the Primrose Bakery recipes come out on top.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cupcakes, not sure about the basic mixture..., 15 Oct. 2009
Kelly Baker "KellyB" (Norwich) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful cupcake book and one of the best that has come out recently (I have quite a few). There are some lovely cakes to bake with great photography. Personally I did not like their vanilla sponge and I do not see what is wrong with a classic 4-4-4-2 sponge! If you are looking for a book with lots of inspiration for elegant cupcakes this is for you. The photographs are really good too.

2.0 out of 5 stars wouldn't recommend - such a shame, 17 May 2011
This review is from: Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery (Hardcover)
Glad I'm not the only one who hasn't got on with this book which seems to be very popular. The recipes call for almost twice as much sugar as butter and flour so I thought this was the main difference between cupcakes and fairy cakes - that they are sweeter but I don't think there is meant to be a difference. I made the vanilla cupcakes and they were so heavy and had a crusty top. They just weren't very nice. I tried the mary berry recipe for fairy cakes and it produced a wonderful light cake. IT's a shame because it is such a lovely book to look through and has some great ideas but if you are not much of a baker to adapt the recipe yourself then it's not worth buying in my opinion. Also the quantities were out - my vanilla recipe produced 21 cakes instead of 12 and they weren't tiny - just made in normal cases. And the buttercream recipe made too much for even my 21! Half of it had to go in the freezer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cupcake recipe book I have found, 13 Nov. 2009
Mrs. A. Day (Hinckley, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery (Hardcover)
I was rather sceptical about buying this book as I already have a large collection of baking books but I had found it for less than half price and couldn't resist.

I bake a lot, including a lot of muffins and cupcakes, but have never found such a moist, morish cupcake as these recipes produce. The cupcakes are absolutely delicious and really varied - not just the same recipe recycled with slightly different variations and there is also a varied selection of icings to choose from including ginger fudge, marshmallow, chocolate buttercream and spiced cream cheese so you can mix and match. The cake recipes are also delicious.

The little personalised sections which explain how the bakery was initally set up and additional bits about decoration and choosing icings etc are also a really nice addition.

All in all a really great little cupcake book that I would recommend to anyone, even those who already have decidated cupcake books as you haven't tasted anything until you've tasted these! I would even have bought this at full price. I have also been to their shop in London and it was definitely worth the trip!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 9 Jan. 2011
S. Hopkins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery (Hardcover)
I received this as a gift this Christmas and I am AMAZED that an American baker, as the author is, would submit recipes that are so dry, firm and stodgy. She knows that American cupcakes always have milk in them to make them light and fluffy, but the amount used for these recipes is far too short and the end result was dry. Only the carrot cake, which included the standard cup of oil, was moist and appreciated. I brought the lemon ones to work for my colleagues who I bake for year round and they all said they were the toughest cakes I had ever brought in.

I will try the recipes again but will definitely be increasing the milk in them to make them light and fluffy as a true cupcake should be.

Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery
Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery by Lisa Thomas (Hardcover - 17 Sept. 2009)