5.0 out of 5 stars Jenny (the attention seeking coeliac!) from Bristol
Published on 15 Jun 2009 by Mrs. J. E. Anstead

1.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't recommend this book at all
I don't rate this book at all and was really rather disappointed with it after all of the positive PR coverage.

Published on 29 May 2012 by J. Simon

5.0 out of 5 stars Jenny (the attention seeking coeliac!) from Bristol, 15 Jun 2009
This review is from: Seriously Good! Gluten-free Cooking: In Association with Coeliac UK (Hardcover)
I was diagnosed with Coeliacs a couple of years ago and my friends and family call me "special needs" so it is good to see that there are now more special needs books available and its even quite trendy to be gluten free!! I bought this book purely to make the scones and even though I am an awful cook they tasted pretty good! The recipes are simple to follow and dont have a list of ingredients as long as your arm like other celebrity chef books!

5.0 out of 5 stars The gluten-free diet bible, 13 May 2009
Phil Vickery's new book has revolutionised my cooking as before a lot of gluten-free recipes and suggested foods were bland and repetative. It is packed full of delicious recipes and can't believe it's all gluten-free. A lot of friends are now buying it even if they aren't gluten intolerant - it helps cater for your guests' diets whilst still having scrumptious food!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Good - really is Seriously Good!, 15 May 2009
Mrs. Sandra D. Powell (Portlethen Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I made the orange and lime shortbread last weekend and my husband and 4 year old daughter could not tell the difference between regular and gluten free shortbread!

Phil Vickery at his best here!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gluten Free Cooking, 13 Nov 2009
Fantastic gluten free recipe book with great ideas for different occasions (BBQ's, parties, christmas, quick snacks, vegeterians).

Very easy to read and follow with some nice illustrations.

Definately recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ideas for Coeliacs, 15 Jun 2009
I've found this book excellent, with some great ideas for people who need to follow a gluten free diet. I liked the fact that he seems to have researched which gf flours seems to produce the best results, instead of just using an off the shelf substitute. It really does make a difference to the result.
Great book, great recipes and easy to follow

4.0 out of 5 stars at last, gluten-free recipes, 4 Jun 2009
E. Buckley (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for a relative who has coeliac. Reading through it myself I was so impressed by the delicious looking recipes I copied several to use normally. Phil Vickery has certainly researched his subject extremely well, and produced the goods.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't recommend this book at all, 29 May 2012
J. Simon "gluten free foodie" (London, UK) - See all my reviews

The breakfasts, smoothies and drinks chapter is mostly filled with drink recipes - these would be gluten free anyway and if I had any interest in making these, I would have bought a book on smoothies and juices. Other recipe books use this section for pancakes, breakfast muffins etc - i.e. replacing what someone on a regular diet would be able to eat.

The snacks section is filled with recipes which are quite time consuming and low on calories and carbs - filling snacks are the most difficult thing to find as a coeliac, specifically for snacks on the run. These recipes all assume you are home all day.

The outdoor section does little to recommend carbohydrate accompaniments which is probably what most new coeliacs need guidance on. The rest of the recipes could easily be in any other recipe book.

The baking section - suggests chestnut flour (which is about 7 for 500g) or cornmeal flour which are both quite heavy flours so I would question the quality of the results.

As an experienced gluten free cook, there are also a few things in the book that I just can't believe are right.

The book doesn't recommend specific brands, so for new coeliacs, when it says 'gluten free miso soup mix' or 'gluten free mustard' there is no explanation on what is safe and what isn't. In the case of mustard, it's generally English mustard which isn't ok.

I'm a little bewildered as to why Coeliac UK endorses this book as it is far from a good basics book and is a bit too random as well to be 'just a good recipe book'.

3.0 out of 5 stars lack of nutritional info and stockists a niggly problem........., 16 May 2009
Sherdy16 (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Having watched Phil many times and having a wheat intolerance I decided to buy this book.I have a couple of niggly issues with it.Firstly most main meals can be made gluten free with a few tweaks so I honestly thought there would be more cakes/biscuits/desserts etc, the book is 3/4 main course/savory and only 1/4 is cakes/desserts.I wish he had also given a nutritional breakdown of each recipe as in this day and age when more and more people need this vital info I feel he has missed a trick here.
Also he does not give any alternative suggestions/stockists when unusual ingredients are used for example he has used chestnut flour in a few recipes.Now does it mean you can wizz chestnuts up in the processor or do you have to buy the flour( just found it can be bought at large Sainsbury's and letsgoitalian site)
I have made the moist fruit cake and the lime and lemon cake bars today and neither have passed the taste test with my OH......but I will try again.....Update 19-050-09 I have just made the brownies and they are gorgeous, added orange essence instead of orange rind as I didn't have any oranges to hand turned out beautifully but he suggests a very small tin 20cmx15cm did the same recipe in a 27x16 and it made 25 brownies.....will do again and OH liked them too
On reflection I think maybe a 4 star would of been more appropriate but I can't change it.......sorry

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Cook Book, 6 Feb 2011
I bought this cookery book to help me prepare for a visit by a friend who is a vegetarian coeliac. I was looking forward to their visit but with a certain amount of trepidation. It was their first visit since their diagnosis as a coeliac and I thought catering would be very difficult but I was wrong. This book , in conjuntion with Seriously Good! Gluten Free Baking, made the whole weekend a fantastic success. I chose recipes that we all ate - 4 adults and two children under 8. The recipes were easy to follow and the flavour combinations were superb. I made the Borlotti Bean, Chilli and Pinenut Bake which was delicious, subtle flavours including a hint of lemon. This dish I will repeat again. I also made the Curry Pilaf with Cashews again another recipe that will be a regular in my cookong repertoir. My guest really appreciated the effort but in reality it was no effort at all as all the recipes were so lovely. I will consult these cook books as a matter of course now even though none of my immediate family are coeliac. This was my first introduction to Phil Vickery's cook books and I am a new fan. This book is a excellent addition to my cook book library and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone whether or not you are coeliac.

5.0 out of 5 stars skirrel, 2 Aug 2010
Simply stunning, there are lovely recipes that are very easy to use, I'm not keen on all the baked goods but thats down to personal tastes. Easy to use and insitefull for some one whos still coming to terms with having to go with out all the good things in my food-life. Definately better than most of the books on the market.

Seriously Good! Gluten-free Cooking: In Association with Coeliac UK