5.0 out of 5 stars Best buy!
I bought this book after a recent trip to France. I've baked my own bread for years, but a different style bread to that found in French bakeries. So I was looking for something that would show me how to make it in the French style.
Published on 12 Aug 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars dough!
Published on 1 Nov 2009 by S. Tully

5.0 out of 5 stars Best buy!, 12 Aug 2008
This review is from: Dough (Paperback)
The author is a a French man who did his training in France but has lived in England for many years, and now runs a cooking school in Bath. He writes very clearly, providing detailed step-by-step instructions that leave no doubt as to what is intended. However if you are confused, the book is accompanied by a DVD to make it even clearer.
The major difference in his breadmaking is the kneading technique, although the doughs are also slightly "wetter" (higher liquid content) than traditional English doughs. The first time of using his kneading technique was a bit tricky, but it quickly became natural. And it works - I can now make French-style bread at home.
I'd highly recommend this book both for beginners (as it has very clear, detailed instructions) and experienced bakers wanting to learn a new technique.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful bread bible., 26 Sep 2005
By A Customer
Excellent book for anybody interested or passionate about breadmaking. Indepth introduction to procedures. Lots of photographs. Easy to follow instructions. The recipes are divided into five sections: white, brown, olive, rye and sweet. And whilst it is ideal introduction to anyone new to the art of breadmaking there are also enough "different" recipes to keep enthusiasts busy. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chuck that bread-machine away..., 18 Sep 2007
Gary Nicklin (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I've been making the odd loaf of bread for a while, but never really got quite the consistency that I wanted. Then I attended one of Richard Bertinet's courses in Bath and bought this book. It shows a completely new (to me at least) way of working the dough which, although a bit sticky and messy to start with, soon comes together to produce fabulous bread.

The DVD that comes with the book is well worth a watch as it makes Richard's technique easier to understand than the text and pictures alone. Once you've mastered the initial technique, the book then shows a multitude of different ways to use it to produce a variety of breads.

This is a great book, I can't recommend it enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic introduction book, 23 Feb 2009
This review is from: Dough (Paperback)
I'm Portuguese and have been living in the UK for over 10 years. Never been really happy with the tin bread you buy, just seems wrong for any bread to last well over a week even though its left just in the plastic bag?! :) I then started buying the supermarkets in store baked bread which is better. Still missed my own country bread, which has a richer flavour and next day its great as toast, so sometimes bought bread from an artisan's shop which is on the expensive side at £2-£3 a loaf. Sometime ago i bought a breadmachine but the holes at bottom simply were no good. Enter Dough! I then came across this book and been using it for nearly a year. As long as i follow the recipes, weight everything for correct measures, dough coming off the fridge need to come to room temperature and way we go: always with good results. Soon enough you'll get the feel for the perfect dough consistency too. I've also looked for a bread stone, but on the net you'll find them costing as much as £30!! and off-cuts might be a bit hard to get hold off. Nonetheless, I found a granite stone sold in asda as a chopping board (other supermarkets have similar at are same price but thinner), for me this one is a perfect oven bread stone, rectangle shape, thick and perfect fit for my oven - for £10! If you are or want to be passionante about good bread, this book is fantastic especially alongside with a breadstone. In fact just eaten some fantastic bread :) Good baking!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good introductory book, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: Dough (Paperback)
I've been making all of the bread for our family for about 5 years now, and I've bought loads of books in the search for the perfect loaf. Of all of them, there are only two I really rate:

- This book, "Dough". This is my "how" book. It's brilliant for learning the basic techniques, and getting you away from that bread machine and into the world of real bread. My only criticism is that the recipes are a bit limited and unadventurous, but that fits with it being a beginner's book.

- Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes by Jeffrey Hamelman. This is my "why" book. For those with an enquiring mind, it explains why you do certain things, and introduces advanced techniques. It also has a huge range of recipes.

I think you need both; "Dough" to learn the basics, then the Hamelman book for everyday use. Both are brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper french bread at at last!, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Dough (Paperback)
I have been an enthusiastic breadmaker for some time now, normally using a bread machine to do all the hard work, and then finishing the bread off by hand.
I was given this book as a birthday present, and for my first attempt I decided to follow his recipe for baguettes to the letter.
Given my previous experience of bread making I was surprised at the amount of both salt and yeast he recommends (nearly double what I normally use). The techniques required are slightly tricky to the novice, as it's an entirely new way of making bread. But don't be put off - and follow it exactly.
All I can say is that at long last I have produced a baguette that tastes exactly like the ones you buy from a boulangerie in France. It really is that good. I have also made the olive bread, and that turned out beautifully as well.

You will need an oven baking stone. They are fearfully expensive, but I found that Argos sell a granite worktop protector for £15. It's a perfect size - just remove the rubber feet on the underside.

I think my bread machine maybe being retired. There's nothing better than handling the dough yourself, and Richard's method does away with all exertion pummelling the dough for 15 minutes that we have all seen on umpteen cookery programmes. With his method it takes about 5 minutes.

In think this book is a revolutionary approach to breadmaking, and really does make it possible for the novice to produce quick, healthy and tasty artisan bread. I can't praise it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars breadmaking can be fun, 8 Nov 2005
Being in the baking industry for a long time now and coming from many generations of bakers, I was suprised to find out and remember what great therapy it was to explore some of the different methods the author used to produce tasty european breads.
Mixing and working the dough and rejuvinating a 'starter' every day, in the ways described in the book gave a real sense of achievement in the end result.
Something that is obviuosly abundant with the author noticeable in the pride he takes in his craft.
I would say that whether novice or professional give this book a go.

3.0 out of 5 stars dough!, 1 Nov 2009
This review is from: Dough (Paperback)
This was an interesting read but I do agree with the comments about there only really being 4 or so different dough recipes throughout and just a lot of tweaking or clever knife cuts to distinguish them. I guess this book just wasnt what I was looking for: ie a book full of great recipes for large loaves that I could happily cook day in day out. Instead I got a lot of instruction on how to make 4 different recipes look nice and the rare 'loaf' recipes turned out tiny loaves which disappear in a sitting in my house (though that does say something about the quality).

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate buy it now..., 9 Sep 2008
This review is from: Dough (Paperback)
Wow what a change to my bread making this book is going to make. Previously I had searched the net for different recipes and always found them too salty or too heavy. Usually using a breadmaker to prove and mix the dough then baking by hand I have never been that impressed with the results. After watching the included DVD and starting with the basic white recipe and new technique for working bread by hand this book really has changed my opinion of home made bread and given me the confidence that I can make bread to be proud of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Dough simple!, 14 Nov 2005
bookeholic (Peterhead, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
In this age of e numbers and preservatives it is lovely to find a few recipes that actually turn out the way they are shown in the book using purely natural ingredients. I have started to make all my own bread now - no not with a bread machine although I do have a Kenwood mixer which is a godsend! but the 'old fashinoned way'!! Especially liked the recipes for the flat loaves with tomatoes and garlic and also the everyday loaves were superb - my children love it.

Dough
Dough by Richard Bertinet (Paperback - 21 Feb 2008)