Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 January 2008
After suffering a few annoying, and occasionally painful, injuries over the last 18 months, I've spent quite a while reading books and trying to correct a couple of faults in my running action. I have tried John Noakes Lore of Running (although there's not much mention to technique and is more a compilation of various training programmes and scientific studies), Romanov's POSE method, and Chi-Running. While they've all got their own merits, and I would recommend them all in their own right, I've found it difficult to throw myself into either of the techniques. You really need to buy into the philosophies of the POSE and Chi-Running techniques, and I never really found their arguments to be convincing enough for me to commit to them.

This is why I'm so pleased with 'Running Well'. The book really emphasizes that there might not be a one-size-fits-all approach and instead provides a central source of general good practises to running technique and injury prevention. I think anyone looking to purchase such a book should start with 'Running Well' and then maybe look to some of the more prescriptive alternatives if they then feel its appropriate, rather than the other way round.

I could see that serious club and elite runners might want a more heavyweight training manual, but I really think that this book would meet the needs of the remaining 95% of us.

The presentation of the book is excellent and I'd wholeheartedly agree with the book's synopsis that states the content to be accessible. I consider this to be the most relevant book of its type.
11 comment|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 March 2008
I thought I knew everything about running until I read this book. Clearly written with excellent diagrams, packed with sound advice and no-nonsense guidelines for joggers and serious runners. I found the sections on injury prevention and recovery particularly encouraging,having just had to come back after six weeks layoff and getting my recovery programme all wrong.
on 24 February 2009
This is m first 'Running'-book, so I don't have anything to compare with. I should say that I've been a fitness instructor for 7 years and therefore have some background knowledge in general fitness and exercise, but not that much about running techniques, typical injuries etc.
This book, however, filled in the blanks. It has a lot of helpful tips on the basics of running: how to ensure correct technique whilst running - what to do when you're injured, how to avoid injury etc. What I liked best about this book was that it was written in a way that made me very motivated and enhusiastic about training for my first marathon. The strength/stretch part of the book is also VERY good. Easily explained with lots of photographs showing the movements.
I think this book is excellent for people with little to moderate knowledge about fitness/running, as it covers the fundementals. Having said that, I think the book will also give some long-time runners an a-ha!- experience.
on 15 January 2008
As an amateur runner who runs outside the realms of a running club, I have always had alot of questions and niggles that prevented me from pushing myself too hard.

This book provides alot of the answers and helped me to understand why my body feels and reacts the way it does and it has given me the confidence to now go the extra mile, without worrying that I am damaging myself.

This book is as good a support as any running club to get you going!
on 3 November 2011
I am a sports physiotherapist myself and can't recommend this book highly enough to every runner! Sarah Connors has a wealth of experience treating elite athletes having worked for UK Athletics with world leading runners!
on 5 September 2011
I admit when I saw the front cover had a girl on it and the two authors are women, I thought the book would be aimed at female runners - how wrong I was. This is a must read for runners of every ability and sex. It covers nearly every aspect of running whether you are just starting or you can easily run under your Boston qualifying time. There's an excellent section on injuries - one of the authors is a qualified Physio who has worked with Olympic athletes - so she knows exactly what kind of injuries runners pick up. I found it extremely useful on getting over my runner's knee and tendonitis. One thing this book doesn't have is actual running plans for say a marathon/half marathon. There is also a good nutrition section, more than just your regular eat this, drink fluids. They also talk about cross training for runners. This is a very easy to read book, and is easier to read than others out there. Essential reading.
on 30 November 2013
Very relevant to my needs. Full of really good exercises. Only critic is that the chapter on food is a bit too long and pitched at too low a level, I think it should be either shorter (if you keep it as simple as it is) or a bit more in-depth (if you keep it the same length). I particularly liked the bits of advice given by the physio who suffers herself from a hip/knee/foot imbalance and is a runner herself: I have the same problem, corrected by orthopaedic soles, and it is really nice to find encouragements to continue doing sports, instead of the usual narrative by negative people that if you do not have the perfect body (nobody has, Nureev thought his legs were too short), you should stick to watching others play sports.
on 6 June 2009
I have just started running seriously in the last 2 months and wanted a book that would give me an overview of all the things I need to consider to be a healthy runner and to avoid injuries. In the past I would go through phases of being into running(usually straight after New Years), I would start too agressively and end up with some complaint or injury that made me lose interest within the first couple weeks. I decided this time round to educate myself a little first to avoid that happening again.

This book covers many topics in a relatively general way, including Proper Technique,Equipment, Warm Up/Cool Downs,Cross-Training, Nutrition,Injury Treatment/First Aid, Training etc. It's a great introduction to the sport.

The authors obviously keep up to date with sports and running research and share alot of it in this book. But I'd like to credit the authors for presenting an objective view of running research and leaving the reader to decide what's best for them and for a simple and clear organisation of the book. The only problem I had was that they use physiological jargon that not every beginner maybe familiar with. I have studied physiology years ago, but even I struggled to remember which muscles they were referring to sometimes. However, that aside it's a very accessible book and has motivated me to try different training methods rather than to push myself too far, too quickly.

This book is enough to get you started and into regular running, but I personally will be buying another, more detailed book about running to specifically cover the topic of training schedules/routines and how to build up to marathon or half-marathon distances as it's not really covered here.
on 27 April 2015
As a seasoned distance runner I bought this book several years ago and have found it extremely useful in structuring my daily early morning core exercises and also in identifying and remedying any running niggles. Having bought two further copies of the book, for my daughters to aid them in their running, I would recommend it to any runner whether experienced or just beginning.
on 20 August 2011
I borrowed this book from the library, considered noting down everything I might find useful, realized if I did that I'd end up copying out the whole book, so I bought a copy instead! There's not much in here about how to run faster or racing - it's about running health, injury prevention and recovery. I intend to include all of the stretches and exercises as part of my daily routine. This book will be an excellent reference should I pick up any injuries.