on 11 October 2006
Having been hooked on the TV show and scouring the internet for her recipes I was desperate to see a book from Ching. At last it is here! It has all of the shows recipes plus more and the imagery is lovely - I like to see how it should look even if it doesn't quite turn out that way!

The recipes are a mix of the classic and exciting new twists and they until you get to peking duck then there's no need to fear if you are able to make it. I would recommend this to a new cook s well as an experienced one. New cooks get sound direction on the classics like prawn toast and Kung Po Chicken and the more seasoned budding chefs get new and fresh recipes like Guangdong Duck with Mango Salsa (Really good) and Peking Duck Sushi (even better).

One criticism is the prep time should be doubled but I cannot chop very quickly and as with all oriental the numerous ingredients can take some time to compile. Never the less there are some recipes with only a handful of ingredients and many do only take minutes to cook.

In summary, this is well worth the wait and a good range of traditional and contempory cooking - all of which can be made (not jus to read in awe and order at the restaurant).

This is not a coffee table book (whilst it is pretty) - I would recommend you take a look and start cooking!
on 4 January 2007
I have now made at least 6/7 of the dishes from this book. I have in excess of 200 recipe books and this is by far the best chinese cookery book I have ever had. Every recipe I have tried has worked and tasted amazing. The recipes are simple and very easy to follow with the most impressive results!I have previously downloaded recipes from the internet and am very happy to have them all together in Ching's amazing book.
on 30 May 2008
My partner loves this book and like the other reviewers she has tried many of her recipes from her series. You are not asked to buy lots of obscure ingredients that cost a fortune. The great thing about it too is that the food is very healthy. my partner has lost weight eating more asian food. The flavours are great and it is very easy to follow. Can't say fairer than that.
on 8 August 2008
Its a reliable indication a cookbooks value and usefulness if its encrusted with splashes and looks as if it has been marinated in soy sauce. My copy of China Modern is rapidly approaching health hazard status. Its up there with my (rather older) Ken Hom's Chinese Cookery and that's praise indeed. If you only bought one chinese cookery book this would be a good one to pick. Indeed the kung pao chicken recipe alone more than repays the cost. My partner now claims this as his signature dish and is only too happy to rush to the kitchen to prepare it. Ching-he's food stands out because it tends to be punchier and more flavoursome than many a standard chinese recipe. Her recipes are accessible and designed to fit in with a modern busy lifestyle and don't require a cupboard full of ingredients. Her enthusiasm and clear instruction style encourage you to to try new recipes. Once you've tried her versions of takeaway food, those sauces and jars from the chinese supermarket (used by many a takeaway) will seem too gloppy and cloying. All in all, currently one of my favourite cook books.
on 21 September 2006
I first discovered Ching's cooking on the Sky Channel UKTV Food. After trying many of the recipes on the show I was very excited to hear of Ching's book been released. This book is fantastic, many of the recipes are very easy to make and take very little time to cook. There are lots of meals from starter to deserts and even set menu's if you decide to throw a dinner party. Ching uses a wide range of oriental cooking that will just about please anybody who's looking for something healthy and tasty.
on 19 February 2008
I bought this book after seeing Ching on UKTV cooking the chili prawns and chicken peanut salad in a matter of minutes. And yes, it is that easy. Some of the recipes in this book take a bit more work, but many are really quick and simple to prepare. And every one I've tried so far (8 or 9) have been absolutely delicious. Sometimes it's hard to believe that so few ingredients can go into something that tastes so good. To date, I've stuck to the more traditional(ish) Chinese food, but I'm itching to start exploring her Chinese-Asian and Chinese-Western fusions. Inspiring and worth every penny.
on 2 October 2011
I am a big fan of Ching as a Chinese cookery writer and this is the first of her books I bought. Over the years I have cooked some great recipies from this book and it has given me much inspiration. I have given this 4/5 because I love her Ching's Chinese Food in Minutes book that little bit more, so China Modern has slipped into a backup companion book rather than my 'go to' Chinese cook book. But if you like modern east/ west fusion cooking than this is for you. The only downside is that it is more 'generic Avian' rather than true Chinese, and is very Western influenced. However, I still think this is a great buy for a normal cook and anyone who wants to dive into Asian cooking. Oh, I have impressed Chinese friends with these recipes and did once get adicted to a certain pork recipie when I was at uni!
on 27 October 2006
Great recipes, great chef, unfortunatly though I dont know how the book got past the publishers/editors with so few pictures of the actual dishes. You just cant get any idea of what the finished dishes are supposed to look like, even for dishes that without a visual frame of reference my end up not as intended (eg nutty chicken.)Plenty of pages have room for photos but just have empty space beneath them.

other than this problem, its a great book and shouldnt put people off buying it.
on 10 December 2015
A few nice recipes but the MOST irritating and frustrating index I have ever come across. Looking up recipes by normal common terms is impossible. How about "Hot Chilli Prawns on Yellow Shi Noodles"? look under P for Prawns, C for Chilli, even N for Noodles. No. Try H for Hot! Under N for Noodle, you find just one recipe - "Nutty Chicken Cool Noodle Salad". Go figure. Suitable if you have no particular food group in mind and don't mind browsing through the 140-odd pages of recipes to find something you fancy.
on 17 November 2014
This is the only book by Ching I haven't got, and I paid very little for it second hand via Amazon. There are more fusion recipes than her other books, as she has gravitated more to authentic cuisine as she has gone along. The Kung Po chicken is different to her other 2 recipes, and my favourite of the 3.
I must admit that this is her book I use the least as I too gravitate towards authentic cuisine, but it would make a good starter book for someone just dipping their toe into Chinese cooking.