5.0 out of 5 stars Normal At Last!
Published on 25 Sept. 2006 by The Snabbits

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad job, but hoped for more
I had hoped for much from this book: as a newly diagnosed coeliac I wasn't scared of gluten-free cooking and living, I was actually looking forward to it because it would mean I started feeling well! I hoped that this book would provide inspiration for family and friends and prove to them that it wasn't actually all that hard to deal with.

It has some good...
Published on 2 May 2009 by M. Denyer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Normal At Last!, 25 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Healthy Gluten-free Eating: The Ultimate Wheat-free Recipe Book (Healthy Eating Series) (Paperback)
When I was informed that my ailments were down to a Gluten (Gliadin) intollerance, I was relieved but concerned about how it would affect my everyday meals. Research kept pointing me towards this cookbook, which I finally purchased. What a joy. I am an avid cook so I was prepared for some complicated recipes ... but that didn't happen. The ingredients list for a recipe may seem daunting but there is nothing difficult about the method - in fact the methods used are pretty much the same as any good recipe book. I found that large Tesco and Waitrose stock the ingredients required.

I'm a big fan of yorkshire pudding (it's in the blood) and was scepticle that there could be any gluten free version, let alone the delicious recipe in this book (worth a sainthood in my view!). The pastry recipes are also brilliant. I've had success with every recipe tried so far and as an added bonus, my family have really enjoyed eating the same meals as me instead of opting for gluten versions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful help for Coeliacs, 27 Jun. 2005
I have just been diagnosed with Coeliac Disease and was told to go away and "look it up". Thanks to the internet I did. I found this book while I was struggling to find some useful practical help. It explains what Coeliac Disease is and its varied symptoms. It also gives a run down of what descriptions manufacturers give on labels that mean the product has gluten included. There's also a section on naturally gluten free foods and eating out. The recipes are easy to follow and have a wide variety to choose from, even for someone as "picky" as me. All in all, I feel that this book helped to ease my mind about a life changing problem and I learned that I am not alone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad job, but hoped for more, 2 May 2009
M. Denyer (In the East End, luv) - See all my reviews

It has some good recipes, certainly, but it does still return to the 'use gluten-free pasta' options rather than suggesting a recipe to make your own, for example. It also doesn't cater well for those coeliacs who also have a lactose intolerance on diagnosis and therefore need to avoid lactose until their gut has healed. This wouldn't be so bad, but since a lot of the baking involves dairy products, and it's the baking side of things most coeliacs miss out on, it feels like something of a missed opportunity.

Overall, therefore, the book gets a three as it's a good starting point for less confident cooks, but doesn't cope with more advanced - but still common - dietary problems or really tackle head on how to make tasty, textureful versions of things like pasta beyond getting them out of a packet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Building recipes triumphantly out of fresh ingredients, 17 Oct. 2008
Once you or someone you cook for are diagnosed as coeliac, you have a choice: either you try to keep your diet much as it was using gluten-free alternative versions of products, or you construct a new dietary regimen based on the things that you can still eat without risk. Pasta embodies this choice: it is off limits to the coeliac in its normal form, so you can either buy the gluten-free version (harder to obtain, more expensive, and frankly a bit peculiar in its texture and taste) or you can switch to a different source of carbohydrate that does not contain gluten, such as rice or potatoes, and use that when previously you would have used pasta. If you are already used to cooking from scratch with fresh ingredients, the second option will not be daunting and will ultimately prove more satisfactory.

This volume works on that premise: building a strong and varied selection of recipes for all times of the day, for the most part out of basic ingredients that require no modification for the coeliac. Those recipes are at the book's core. Some of them display considerable ingenuity: cakes, as you would expect, are a particular challenge to the gluten-free chef, and this book rises well to that challenge. Rice flour, almonds and polenta often take the place of wheat flour, with all sorts of ingenious ways of keeping these moist and flavoursome: who could resist, for instance, Lady Dundee's Orange Cake, which begins by simmering oranges for an hour or two until tender, then putting them in their entirety into a blender - peel, flesh, pips and all - and liquidising them? In other areas of the book the need for ingenuity in avoiding gluten is less, and there will be occasions when you are surprised glancing over a recipe for risotto, for example, that the recipe is gluten-free because it seems so "normal" and lacking in any special difficulty. Which is, of course, the point I made at the start: it is possible to construct a perfectly acceptable, "normal" diet out of the numerous ingredients that are safe for the coeliac. The book is not, then, simply a guide to the things that are difficult to cook for a coeliac, but a balanced and rounded selection of all sorts of recipes, united by the fact one can be confident that anything in these pages is safe for a coeliac.

Recipes based on the ingredients requiring no modification are at the heart of the book. There is other material as well: a section of recipes to cook with gluten-free pasta, a whole section relating to basic carbohydrates such as breads or pizza bases, and an overview of the condition discussing which basic foodstuffs are safe and which off limits, buying gluten-free foods, eating out as a coeliac and so on. This would be suitable for a newly-diagnosed coeliac, their partner or, perhaps, someone about to get a visit from a coeliac relative or friend.

All in all, a balanced and wide-ranging book, with recipes of a high quality. You will find yourself passing recipes on to people who can eat gluten, and will hear them give that ultimate (and rather irritating) accolade, "you'd never know it was gluten-free". If you or your partner or child are coeliac, you will probably acquire a variety of recipe books as you explore the options open to you, but this will probably be the one you use most. If a friend or relative for whom you cook from time to time is coeliac, this is probably all you need, giving you a range of recipes that are appetising as well as safe, and a basic overview of the condition. Ultimately a recipe book stands or falls on the quality of the food described in it, and this, by building on those core ingredients that are safe, building on strengths rather trying to compensate for difficulties, passes that test with flying colours. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars great recipe book, 25 Nov. 2007
J. Tyler (romford essex uk) - See all my reviews
brilliant easy to follow recipes which always work and are also a hit with non suffers of coeliac disease chocolate brownies are amazing

4.0 out of 5 stars No need to adjust any recipe!, 15 Dec. 2006
I have been gluten free for 15 years now, and nearly every book I have bought on the subject turned out "acceptable food",( it's amazing what becomes acceptable on this diet!!) but many recipes have needed altering. This is the only recipe book, and I've had a lot,that needs no recipe alterations to turn out good food that everyone in the family enjoys. No more doing two of everything. The scones are absolutely ace, everyone loves them. It took a while to get tapioca flour at a decent price, but finally found it on a Thai food website.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tasty alternative to gluten free products, 14 Oct. 2005
I found that gluten free products in the shops tasted unpleasant and synthetic and that most gluten-free cookbooks "cheated" by simply substituting problem ingredients with "gluten free flour" or "gluten free pasta". By contrast, this book uses natural alternatives such as potato flour and rice flour and the results are amazing. Gluten free foods but without the synthetic taste! The recipes might take a bit more time and you will need to stock up your cupboards but the results are well worth it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Some super tips, 6 Jan. 2007
This is a good book, as it encourages the reader to use normal ingredients rather than prepacked mixes, and offers recipes for basics which I never imagined I could substitute. Some of the highlights include the great tip of using rice paper wrappers as a crunchy coating for fish (you won't miss batter), the soda bread recipe, and the breakfast health bar which went down a treat - no-one guessed there was anything odd about it, and it's the first time I have cooked with rice flakes. In fact, this book allows you to cook for yourself and others, without things tasting odd or artificial. Although many of the recipes are too high in fat for me (this applies to Irish cookery in general), I have successfully reduced the fat in all cases.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 2 Nov. 2008
This is a really good cookbook for those with dietary issues. I avoid gluten and dairy, and although this book was just gluten free, it is easy to substitute soy milk or other non-dairy ingredients for the recipes in the book.

I made the Christmas cake last Christmas, and will be baking it again for this Christmas. It had a lovely baked almond 'crust' and was really moist inside. I've made quite a few of their recipes and they've all turned out really well - banana bread, yorkshire puds and the like.

The recipes are really easy to follow and well laid out. Most of the ingredients are easy to get hold of too - which is always a bonus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Normal food at last!, 21 Mar. 2006
I think this is a great book. Having bought several 'gluten-free' cookbooks over the past few years, this is probably the most enjoyable and reliable. All the recipes I've tried have been accepted by the whole family and I'm often asked if they're gluten free, as both taste and texture is really good. I would recommend this book to anyone newly diagnosed or for anyone cooking for a coeliac as the recipes are easy to follow and it includes straightforward information about the condition and what foods are, and are not, suitable. This book restored my faith in gluten free cookery.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›