5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring cookbook
Published on 4 Feb 2005 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A good intro
This book is a great introduction to cooking japanese food, and if you like wagamama's you'll enjoy recreating some of your favorite dishes.

Published on 19 Dec 2009 by D. P. Biggs

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring cookbook, 4 Feb 2005
This review is from: The Wagamama Cookbook (Cookery) (Paperback)
The Wagamama cookbook is a great introduction to making Japanese noodles,-I enjoy them so much that I make them a couple of times a week now. At first I found the recipes difficult as I had to invest in new ingredients and learn new techniques, but after a few attempts I could make them with my eyes shut! The book has recipes for noodles, rice dishes, meat, fish, dumplings, salads and sauces. (It does not cover how to make sushi though.) Everything I made was delicious, as I could adapt the recipes to my own taste. I was so impressed that I went to the Wagamama restaurant in London, and I was pleased to find out that my own attempts tasted even better! The recipes are bursting with flavour and fun to cook. I really recommend this book, but be warned, you will need access to a Chinese/Japanese supermarket to get some of the ingredients.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good intro book for oriental cooking, 16 Oct 2006
S. Cartwright (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is clearly better than the other book "Ways with noodles". If you were deciding between them, go for this one. The recipes I've made so far from it have turned out fantastically well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Creating food with a difference!, 24 May 2004
This review is from: The Wagamama Cookbook (Cookery) (Paperback)
Cajoled by my other half into doing more on the culinary front, I sought refuge in a cookbook. Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey or Delia…..well none of them! If I was going to impress the family with new found skills, I decided that I wanted to emulate the cooking of the far east.
I’ve eaten at the wagamama restaurants over several years, and when I heard about their cookbook I was excited about the thought of trying to create some of their appetising dishes. In truth it hadn’t escaped my notice that the food at wagamama always arrived quickly, suggesting to me that I wouldn’t be a slave to the stove. Perhaps I could create a meal in the time that it took to drink just one glass of wine, well perhaps not.
The cookbook was extremely easy to follow, and the preparation straightforward. I jumped in at the deep-end by attempting to perfect sake amiyaki gohan, which is grilled salmon in a fantastic sauce enhanced with garlic, chilli, ginger, sesame oil and oyster and soy sauces. Had I not dropped my bit of salmon on the kitchen floor, I’m sure I would have really enjoyed it!
Anyway, a great cookbook and well worth buying, so says the wife and kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book for every occasions!, 24 July 2006
I love this book! I have always loved noodles and all Japanese food but I could not cook them at home. It is now very easy to cook dishes from Wagamama restaurant at home for my family or for a dinner with friends. Every time, I have cooked recipes from the book, it has been a great success!

Hopefully, there are plenty of tips on ingredients, cooking techniques... so recipes are really easy to prepare and you can't fail!

3.0 out of 5 stars A good intro, 19 Dec 2009
D. P. Biggs - See all my reviews

I am a keen cook, however do find with this book that you will be required to purchase so many random ingredients for each dish you have to spend quite alot at the initial out set so it may seem easier just to go to the restaraunt! however once you've done so you will enjoy cooking some nice healthy food!

Oh one quick one....Chicken Katsu curry isn't in this book!! so look elsewhere if you were thinking of buying this book purely for that awesome dish!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Jun 2009
I absolutely love this book. I'm quite experienced in cooking but I've never really known how to make good and tasty noodles. The book has a wide range of different type of dishes which makes cooking fun. You can choose a new recipe for every night and never get bored. The book actually reveals how to make the sauces from scratch and I found the recepies very easy to follow and modify. Almost all the ingredients have substitutes that can be found at my local supermarket and the flavors get even better when I have a chance to visit an oriental store. I'd recommend this to all Oriental kitchen lovers who enjoy cooking.
I really appreciated the little tips in which order to insert the ingredients. It makes a world of difference! All the dinner guests have appreciated the food as well! :D

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a couple of printing errors...., 16 Jan 2008
Chris Turner (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love Wagamamas food so I bought this to try my hand at cooking it.....

At my first attempt I discovered that there is no explanation of what Mikku powder is. Nor was it mentioned in the ingredients in my dish. So when I was asked to add Mikku powder I was a little cheesed off that I didn't have any. My work collegue also got this book and has just mentioned a similar problem with one of the chilli sauce recipes....Hmmmmm

Be warned, you need Mikku powder!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good But Not Simple, 20 Dec 2006
If you like Wagamama's and like cooking then you'll like this.

It is difficult though to find recipes with only a few ingredients. If you want simple cooking then this isn't it.

I like my oriental food and cook now and again, and there's a few recipes here that I try. The recipes seem to be relatively authentic (I do have some experience) but seem over complicated at times. If you do follow the recipe though, then it does seem to turn out something like what you get in the restaurant...

You might not find all your favourites here as I think their menu varies from city to city. I would though be willing to get another of their cookbooks to find my favourites based on my experiences of this version.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 16 Nov 2005
This book is great! For someone who gets bored of food easily this book is a god send. It has also taught me ways of cooking fish - something I'd never tried before. Most can be cooked for dinner in about 30 mins and there is lots of choice from dishes suitable for summer or winter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, tested recipes!, 10 July 2009
What I liked most about this book, was that the recipes seem to have been tried and tested, so if you follow the instructions, it is guaranteed that the result would be how it should - no adjustments needed! From my experience with cookbooks, this is sadly not as common as it should be...

I found most of the recipes to be easy to make. Some do call for a lot of ingredients, which may give the illusion that they are going to be difficult and complicated, but I recommend that you read through the recipe, and then have everything ready & chopped up in front of you before you heat the wok. It really streamlines the process!

I particularly liked the recipes for all the different sauces that are used in the dishes. These are given in a seperate chapter in the beginning: Most of them can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge for few days. That was really helpful for when I was cooking for guests and I did not want to be overwhelmed in the last minute!

I read all the reviews carefully, and some negative ones make valid points: If you want authentic, traditional Japanese food and you are somewhat of a purist in cooking, then this book may not be for you. It is a book of oriental-style recipes, adjusted for the western palate. In short, if you like the Wagamama restaurants, go for it! If you think Wagamama is an abomination, chances are that you will not appreciate this book.

Some people mentioned that the recipes are not that simple and that some ingredients may be hard to find: Well, this depends on where you live. I found that my local Asian shop had all the ingredients I needed for the recipes. Also, some long-life ingredients (miso paste, soy, mirin, dried shiitake etc.) can be bought online!

The Wagamama Cookbook (Cookery)
The Wagamama Cookbook (Cookery) by Hugo Arnold (Paperback - 20 May 2004)
Used & New from: £1.79