5.0 out of 5 stars a gem of a book
When I first got my beauty bible I read it from cover to cover. The real joy of this book is being able to dip in and out of it whenever I like. It is honest, and dosn't encourage you to buy a particular product, it just tells you the facts!
I bought the highest rated self tan product, and the results were what I expected them to be - if not better.
EVERY woman...
Published on 14 Aug 2003 by poshviv

1.0 out of 5 stars new edition
The beauty bible is extremely informative. It contains specific information about products with marks out of 10 and comments from women who have tried them, along with more general information on make up, skin care, hair care, stress management and healthy living.

Published on 28 Sep 2006 by Lincolnshire reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a gem of a book, 14 Aug 2003
poshviv "viv" (Grimsby, N. E. Lincs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 21st Century Beauty Bible (Hardcover)
EVERY woman should own this book, I am in my mid forties, have tried just about every beauty product on the planet (feels like it!!!) and wish I had had this book years ago.
It is beautifully written and illustrated, and is a pleasure to read, and a joy to own.

5.0 out of 5 stars A heavenly bible, 21 Jan 2003
This review is from: 21st Century Beauty Bible (Hardcover)
This year for Christmas my husband bought me this exceptional book, and almost every single product which rated number one in their particular category. Wow. It was an inspired gesture. Without wanting to sound vain, boy does my skin look great, boy, do I smell great, but most importantly, boy oh boy do I feel great!
In the dark days, before I was converted by this bible, I used to raid cosmetics counters optimistically but randomly and throw half the stuff in the bin after the first use or first skin reaction. No matter how I tried, nor how much I spent, I couldn't seem to find anything that suited me. I always looked orange, became smudged, and smelled of chemicals.
I always, always wanted to know what other people used, people who weren't wearing neat white coats and too much lip liner behind the sales counter. But when you live in a house full of men and boys, and work alone all day? Well, what to do?
Reading this book was one of the best girly experiences I have had in my life. All the makeup was tested by hundreds of intelligent women (I loved some of the comments!), and when winning products emerged, they emerged emphatically. I have been lucky enough to try most of those winners. With the exception of one rather alarming face toning product, which turned me instantly into my death mask, I have loved EVERY single other thing I was bought.
I now own great moisturiser, superb foundation, elegant blusher, luscious mascara, enlivening cleanser, and some bath stuff that is totally addictive and practically an aphrodisiac. Need I go on? I look about ten years younger thanks to the astonishing miracle cream they discovered, which also turned out to be the cheapest of all. (Worth buying the book for that tip alone.) And I will always thanks the authors for introducing me to a very famous German brand of natural cosmetics, which for some reason had escaped my notice. I now cannot function unless I have a nightly Lavendel bad. Two capfuls and you no longer care about anything - anything at all. It's blissful.

The book is wonderfully written by two natural beauties - seemingly inside as well as out. I really liked the style - a bit like being counselled by two elder sister super models! I count it as the best beauty investment I have made in eons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 7 Nov 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: 21st Century Beauty Bible (Hardcover)
This new book is wonderful and not just a rehash of the previous one, which happens so often. Its tone is optimistic, refreshing and honest. It is also a beautiful book to look at. The authors are enthusiastic about natural beauty ranges but admit to compromising when the natural product is not as effective as the more scientific. All in all, a lovely book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole new outlook on beauty, 4 Aug 2003
This review is from: 21st Century Beauty Bible (Hardcover)
I was bought the book as a present, being interested in cosmetics and skincare i knew i would enjoy it, the book provided me with a new selection of cosmetics and skincare that i had never tried before, after reading all the reviews that were given about each product i now have a selection of new products that really work. The book was set out so that each time it is picked up you can find something new to read about and try. This book has shown that the products work as they have been tried before so i knew i could buy them with confidence. Excellent reviews and knowledge of many different products for all budgets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, but suitable for older women?, 24 Jan 2005
I loved this book. It is true to all girly books. Gorgeous layout and presentation, user friendly lingo, packed with ratings by 'real' women who have used the products themselves, with the writer's own opinions on whats hot and whats not.
Both writers seem to know alot about beauty and have added in great tips on homemade beauty recipes, a wide range of brand names and product types.
However, I bought this book when i was about 19, and totally into the whole beauty thing. I did find that most of the content was aimed at women who wanted age reducing products, age reducing foundations and looks. Lots of fun and fresh products on the market that I thought could have been included were ommitted. The hair removal section wasn't particularly good, as I felt that the selection of products was poor and the advice very general. That is why I have rated this book 4 stars instead of 5.

1.0 out of 5 stars new edition, 28 Sep 2006
Lincolnshire reader (Stamford, Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews

I was so looking forward to my new, updated version of this old favourite. The new edition is extremely disappointing. It looks exactly the same as the old edition. All the general information (even the foreword by the authors) is exactly the same. I searched hard and found a very few differences in the tried and tested products pages, however not enough for me not to feel cheated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable beauty guide, 17 Jan 2007
I honestly don't know how I managed without this book as it truly is the bible to consult every time you make a beauty buy. Even a casual shopping visit to the Selfridges beauty department, or any Space NK can be incredibly pricey, especially if you get distracted by the latest kitsch/minimalist packaging or ambushed by a fast-talking sales assistant. This book is therefore a great investment and will, in the long run, save you a LOT of money, as it gives you all the up-to-date info on each product and enables you to compare and contrast it with similar brands. You can find out what ingredients the product contains, and how natural it is, and how it has fared with a whole range of testers so you quickly get a pretty good idea whether it's worth trying it out. All the products I have tried at the authors' recommendations have become indispensable to me, and I am eternally grateful to them for introducing me to the Liz Earle range, which is fantastic...so this book is, in a nutshell, highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars a great informative reference book, 5 Oct 2006
i have given this book 5 stars. A fabulous book for all those of us who are beauty product mad. I have found it to be a great informative reference when looking for cosmetics and skin care products. I have purchased the 2004 edition and now this one the 2006 edition. I would say that if you have the earlier edition you may find that the new 2006 edition is not a lot different, with most of the pages being identical and it seemed that only a few extra items have been added. Altogether the book is a great buy, but you only need one edition, so if you already have the 2004 edition don't waste your money buying the new 2006 one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 27 Oct 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: 21st Century Beauty Bible (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book. Don't think if you bought the last one you will be duplicating your purchase. This is all-new and even better. The authors debate honestly the high-tec versus natural approach and admit to compromising when performance is lacking - make-up for example. There is a comprehensive stockist guide - you don't have to live in London to benefit - and the book itself is beautiful. The website is also very good. I can't praise this book highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a one-stop-vanity-shop, 21 Sep 2005
This is so much more than just makeup and hair: it's about bringing beauty from within through diet, exercise and healthy living, and THEN keeping it all ticking over nicely with the best quality (no, I didn't say expensive) products. This version on Amazon is a fully updated paperback version of the 2002 edition. There is a large splattering of products that have been Tried and Tested (by panels of 10 women) next to each relevant section, with a rating which also shows the cheapest ones and which are considered 'natural'.
There are main sections on MAKEUP, SKIN, FAST FIXES (eg. botox, minimising wrinkles), BODY, HAIR, FRAGRANCE and 'WELLBEING' (ways to stay healthy and happy). It also provides food for thought with articles like the one from Aveda's Horst Rechelbacher about whether or not we should try and use more 'natural' lip products (did you know that in a lifetime a woman swallows the equivalent of about four tubes of lipstick? Ergh!) and also a list of specific names of ingredients that are considered to be natural, and of course, those that aren't.
The main difference between this and other beauty/makeup books is that it includes an abundance of home made beauty recipes for facial oils, natural masks, body scrubs, body oil, hair rescue remedies, fragrances made from essential oils, bath oils and fruit juices. If that wasn't enough there are methods on how to use some of these with facial massage techniques, two minute face de-stressers and a scalp massage (I have yet to experiment with all of these!)
There are little 'tip' boxes dotted around the pages for quick reference and the vast majority of advice is given by professionals in the field they're discussing (like Stila's Jeanine Lobell on makeup!) I loved all of the pictures included as they were well chosen and not as in-your-face with the makeup and beauty aspect, not like other books which just show boring model after model being made up just to fill extra pages. The directory of cosmetic suppliers at the back of the book is also a welcome addition as it is convenient having them all listed in one place, as is the 'bookshelf' at the back with suggested reading titles.
Although there wasn't an exhaustive amount of information I did appreciate the inclusion of advice on makeup for coloured women (by Iman) as it's a subject not many books even attempt to include. There were also a few pages on solutions for ethnic hair given by leading London stylist Errol Douglas which I think was great because I guess it would provide ideas on what to do or where to go for more advice.
This book has got me reading the ingredients labels of my cosmetics with genuine interest and scanning products in the aisles of Boots before buying (which has also enabled me to determine which things aggravate my skin, something I've never done before - so thanks!)
The website is [...] and it gives you lots of brilliant advice, much of which actually expands on the book. The book would be a perfect gift for most beauty-conscious ladies, but it could be particularly valuable to a girl/lady in your life who likes her beauty things and also has a vague interest in staying healthy in other ways.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

21st Century Beauty Bible
21st Century Beauty Bible by Josephine Fairley (Hardcover - 7 Oct 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01