5.0 out of 5 stars definitely my cup of tea, 23 Aug 2003
Amazon Customer "hamble" (somewhere in west europe) - See all my reviews
I'm very happy that Darina Allen compiled this book. It sets the scene of a way of life that my father used to tell me about - teacakes cooked on the griddle, potato cake, real Irish stew - and, of course, champ! In a wonderful introduction, Allen describes the advent, if you can call it that, of so-called "fancy shop-bought things" and how this began the decline of traditional recipes. What follows is a labour of love for Allen, a compilation to salvage over 300 recipes that reflect the Irish way of life, its farming heritage and cooking skills. The book is complete with wonderfully evocative photography and notes. And having tried some of them, I can vouch that the recipes are easy and tasty.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rich and wonderful book, 2 Mar 2002
This review is from: Irish Traditional Cooking (Paperback)
More and more I wish I had not taken for granted my grandmother - that she would always be there to pass on what she had learnt as a cook and as a doting Nan.
Darina and her contributers are different cooks from my Nan, but they share the same values - which are precious.
Darina has been clever enough to capture knowledge, before it is lost forever, that has been passed down for generations. This book, which gives great insight into methods and secrets of senior generations is a gem. It is a book you want to read from cover to cover. It is rich in recipes and history.
You won't cook everything (anyway I'm not yet up to trying the pig tails) but I have adopted many recipes that my family and friends look forward to. They are comforting to eat and cook.
As a cook book addict - I feel like I am coming home when I read and cook Darina & Co.s recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful journey through the delights of Irish cookery., 19 Sep 2001
C. Garrity (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Irish Traditional Cooking (Paperback)
Darina Allen's passion for cookery, and the use of the finest locally produced ingredients is a delight to read. The recipes are easy to follow, and the end result well worth the effort. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality service, 31 May 2012
Ken Lewis - See all my reviews
This book arrived on the very first day of its estimate, which meant that it spent the minimum of time in the hands of Royal Mail. It was well protected against any damage whilst in transit. Having a quick look through the book it was well worth the price as it not only did it cover the various dishes but also the history of each one with regard to the Irish tradition.

The recipes and method are well laid out in an easy to follow manner, so errors are minimised if not eliminated.

This book will provide not only recipes for tasty dishes but also teach something about the history of food in the Irish community.

For one, I will certainly use this book seller again in the future.

Irish Traditional Cooking
Irish Traditional Cooking by Darina Allen (Paperback - 24 Sep 1998)
Used & New from: £0.01