5.0 out of 5 stars Wood Matters

Published on 26 Jan 2009 by Oliver Mueller

5.0 out of 5 stars Wood Matters, 1 April 2009
J. B. Egan "ridgeway" (somerset, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Woodland Year: 1 (Hardcover)
Ben Law is an inspiring pioneer of a woodland renaissance which is transforming the way we can live. This book takes us on a journey through the year ,connecting us to the flow of the seasons, and putting us in touch with others who work the land.Its written well, beautifully illustrated, and full of well observed detail. Its one of my favourite books to return to as each month turns.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful and inspirational book, 30 Jan 2009
Willow (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Woodland Year: 1 (Hardcover)
The Woodland Year is a beautifully photographed and produced book. It follows the work and activities month by month in Prickly Nut Wood where Ben Law lives and works, and also in a selection of woodlands around the UK. Each month starts with Bens contribution and description of what he does that month in his woodland, giving information and recipes. Each month also has a contribution from a woodsman working in another area of the country, telling how they make their living and look after the woodland.

Beautifully photographed, this book is an inspiration to many who yearn for a simpler way of life, more in tune with nature and the traditional crafts. In a time when many of us are turning away from the high stress fast paced life developed in the twentieth century, a look through this book will remind us of the simple pleasure and contentment that can be gained from a closer connection to the land within which we are lucky enough to live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Informative, 27 Aug 2009
G. A. England "book nut" (Basingstoke, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Woodland Year: 1 (Hardcover)
I found this book very interesting and informative. It describes the various trees grown in the native woodlands, and what the trees are used for. The author explains what work is carried out throughout the year, what can be eaten, i.e. toadstools and squirrels, along with recipes, some of which sounds delicious, don't think I'll try the squirrels though. After reading this book I envy those who work in the woodlands, a far cry from the hustle and bustle of towns and cities.

5.0 out of 5 stars great present, 31 May 2012
This review is from: The Woodland Year: 1 (Hardcover)
This was a birthday gift to my other half and finished it in less than 3 weeks and said it's a great book - perfect for those who are into woodland living/ woodland crafting!

5.0 out of 5 stars A life Changing Experience, 30 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Woodland Year: 1 (Hardcover)
That may sound a tad dramatic as a title for a book review. Maybe it is but my wife gave me this as a birthday present a couple of years ago. After reading Ben and his guest's experiences with woodland and coupling them with my own a sort of fog was lifted. I know where my future lies and it is simply down to me to achieve it. A great book with lots of information rammed in to it. If you are a home brewer the recipes are good oh!

5.0 out of 5 stars England at its best, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Woodland Year: 1 (Hardcover)
I am currently living in a beautifull part of Germany called the Black Forest but having read this book I can't wait to get back to England.Everything about this book is fantastic,the pics,the paper,the recipies,the stories from the other contributors.It has rekindled the feelings that I use to have for the english countryside and shown me where my real heart lies.I cannot praise this book enough I thoroughly enjoyed it and can highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Woodland Inspiration, 9 May 2009
This review is from: The Woodland Year: 1 (Hardcover)
The book starts in November with the beginning of the coppicing season and takes us through, month by month, the activities of the woodland year. Each month, as well as Ben Law's own account of his month's activities, there is a contribution from another woodsman or woman working in a different part of the country, and each has their own character, style and particular interests. Timber-framed buildings, working with horses, green wood furniture making, uses and habit of trees, cooking with woodland produce, all feature in the wonderful book.

One thing I didn't like so much was Ben Law's evident enthusiasm for eating his fellow woodland inhabitants, from squirrels to deer. But don't let that put you off this otherwise wonderful woodland companion.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another one, 26 Jan 2009
Oliver Mueller (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Woodland Year: 1 (Hardcover)
I thought it's just another book selling on the back of a TV programme with not too much else going for it. Ben Law must be an amazingly skilled man but I thought this book contained little of use other than a bit of story telling. Half the book consist of other people telling what they do in their woods at a given time of year which isn't bad in itself but just adds to my feeling that they had to bulk out the book by adding guest articles and lots of large pictures.

ARRAY(0x104ff0c0)

The Woodland Year: 1
The Woodland Year: 1 by Foreword by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2008)
13.97