5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to poetry
This is a fantastic introduction to many poets that you should be aware of but are probably not - a great place to get acquainted.

Published on 3 Sep 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars poem for the day: 366 poems, old and new
i think book is simply wonderful, im 17 yrs old not a lover of books but i love the poetry selection from all the famous poets u could ever need!! i based this book on a project i did for my a level course, it helped me a great deal!
Published on 7 Aug 2009 by alice

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to poetry, 3 Sep 2009
This review is from: Poem for the Day One (Paperback)

The anecdotes, anniversaries etc add to the understanding of many of the poems. I recommend this collection to people like me who lack a history with poetry but are curious about the medium. The 'poem a day' concept allows the unfamiliar reader to slowly learn to appreciate poetry for what it is - something to be enjoyed and savored.

I strongly recommend this book for those that want five minutes of calm at the beginning or end of the day!

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a perfect anthology., 12 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Poem for the Day One (Paperback)
If you love poetry, or if it has never meant a thing to you, either way there will be something in this anthology that will brighten your days. poets ranging from medieval "anon" to the present day; poems from afew lines to 2 or 3 pages; funny poems, thoughtful poems, poignant poems -- they are all here, and more besides. Arranged to match the calendar, each day becomes a delight. there is also background information on the poet and/or the circumstances of the poem's composition, plus notes of other key events which took place on that day.It's my favourite anthology, I find myself dipping into it all the time -- and somehow, whatever my mood , I can find a poem to suit. It's wonderful, I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Compilation for Every Day of the Year !, 12 April 2000
R. Chagouri-Brindle "RickCB" (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poem for the Day One (Paperback)
What a marvellous idea ! A different poem for every day of the year. All the classic poets are here, along with a number of lesser known, but no less effective poets. Somehow you can always find a poem to match your mood.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real discovery, 29 Aug 2009
This review is from: Poem for the Day One (Paperback)
I stumbled across this book quite accidentally one afternoon whilst browsing. Opening it to the page for that day, 19th July Tessimond's 'Not Love Perhaps' I was so struck by its message I bought the book and took it home. I have found new delights each day. Being a bit of a word geek I am amazed I havent discovered poetry sooner. This is a fabulous introduction, with something for everyone, classics and modern verse, and suitable for sharing. I thoroughly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A popular easily learnable poem for each day of the year., 16 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Poem for the Day One (Paperback)
Who would have thought that I would write a review about a poetry book... Well here it si this a wonderful collection of poems, one for each day of the year. If you love poetry or have generally ignored it there is here many a poem for you. I commute about 50 mins a day and it is great to occaisionally make myself learn a poem. If like me you were never required to do such a thing at school then you may be in for a delightful suprise. The ability to sing someone elses thoughts and use their words just at the right moment in the day is very powreful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Old and grey, 28 Aug 2009
S. G. Kirsch ""Professor Piffle"" (Harrow , UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poem for the Day One (Paperback)
"Poem for the Day" contains the lines by Yeats: "Take down this book, And slowly read". You will certainly enjoy taking Yeats's advice. Incidentally, in her foreword Wendy Cope asks "Why bother to learn poems?" It's no bother: the gorgeous verses in the book will quickly abide in your memory. I only wish that Wendy had included a few more of her own poems, which make one laugh -- and then think!

5.0 out of 5 stars Old and New, 8 Jan 2014
J. Trott-Nicholls (Doncaster) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poem for the Day One (Paperback)
A lovely book to dip into when the mood arises. Some of the poems are ones I had to learn at school, and I am enjoying reading them again, but there are many new ones which I also enjoy reading, especially as a wind down at the end of the day. I would recommend this book both to those who already enjoy poetry as well as those who wish to broaden their poetic horizons.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book......., 25 Jun 2010
Roger Sharp (Kenley, Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Poem for the Day One (Paperback)
This book has made me love poetry, a subject at school I really hated. Wendy Cope has brought together a superb selection of the familiar, the new, and the forgotten and created a book to be cherished. Never really at my best in the mornings I now start every day with a poem from this book with a cup of tea. It never lets me down - the quality of the work is invigorating and life-affirming.

Perhaps the best recommendation I can give is that from this volume (and the subsequent one edited by Andrew Motion) I have bought six volumes by authors I haven't heard of other than in these books - and for someone with the dislike for poetry I once had, this is quite a surprise to me!

5.0 out of 5 stars an absolute delight, 13 Aug 2011
This review is from: Poem for the Day One (Paperback)
This anthology would appeal to all poetry lovers, especially people like myself who are just beginning to savour the delights of the genre. I love the biographical notes that accompany each poem and reading the 'daily poem' is a golden moment in my day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book of poems., 18 April 2013
This review is from: Poem for the Day One (Paperback)
For poetry readers old and new. A delightful book of poems, one for each day of the year including interesting information about the poem/poet. From my reading so far, a very good selection which I have enjoyed. A lovely way to take some time out.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Poem for the Day One
Poem for the Day One by Wendy Cope (Paperback - 12 Dec 1994)